S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Test pipe?

Old 02-18-2019, 09:46 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The topic has been discussed every possible way, and there is no 'new' information.

The only reason to use a tp or hfc on this car is it allows lowering vtec without a midrange power loss. Lowering vtec can only be done with ecu mods. On an '06+ dbw car, that is easily done with flashpro and a decent tune. Biggest power bang for buck in all of s2k land.

But its much more difficult to accomplish lowering vtec with tbe older cars.

Bottom line, tp makes no significant gain on its own. Lowering vtec with stock cat actually loses power. But combine them, and you get amazing results.

Btw, its not about the stock cat not flowing well. It actually flows impressively well for a stock cat. Its about reflective resonances that occur in the exhaust system. Conceptually kinda like how exhaust scavenging works. Because of their shape, not their flow, a tp, or to a slightly lesser extent a hfc, eliminates these resonances, allowing vtec to be lowered without imposing a power penalty.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:38 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonMG
Test pipes are illegal for street use in most states, so you'd also have to return it to stock for inspections if you have them there.

Bigger question is: What are you trying to do with your S? Track? Dyno numbers? Improve acceleration or handling?
ALL states. Federal law.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:42 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The topic has been discussed every possible way, and there is no 'new' information.

The only reason to use a tp or hfc on this car is it allows lowering vtec without a midrange power loss. Lowering vtec can only be done with ecu mods. On an '06+ dbw car, that is easily done with flashpro and a decent tune. Biggest power bang for buck in all of s2k land.

But its much more difficult to accomplish lowering vtec with tbe older cars..
It is not difficult to lower the VTEC point. I'm frankly concerned that this is a *thing* on this forum. You can lower the VTEC point with a simple box on ebay for under $100. It's a few wires, a dial and some simple electronics.

What IS expensive is a tuning device, There is no benefit in lowering the VTEC point unless you are able to test and tune to see if it does anything, which without supporting mods or ECU tuning, it likely wont.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:29 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

For someone who was so set on using a Duralast TCT i'm surprised at all your posts asking about other mods.

If you want to mod your car to make it faster DO NOT do it on a budget. At the end of the day you will spend more money than you really want to and not be satisfied with the results. I'm not trying to be mean or anything here but take it from someone who spent thousands of dollars making his BRZ faster only to realize doing it while its NA is just not worth the money.

Is this the first car you've ever had? Have you ever modified a car before? Let me break it down a little for you just to give you a financial idea of what you are getting yourself into.

Track pipe: By itself its cheap. However all the cons you listed above are true. So by itself not worth it. 60$
Tune: THis allows the track pipe to actually do something. You'll see the increased throttle response, a bit more power in the top end, you can lower v-tec and tune the car to improve power response. 500$-1000$
Headers: By themselves, all they really do is increase volume. But you're going to need a tune to unlock the potential. 500$-1000$
E85: You'll need a flex fuel kit to allow the engine and ECU to know the type of fuel going in, but this is the best bang for your buck in terms of power. 150$-300$
AEM ECU: Since you're in a pre 06' you'll need an aftermarket ECU to tune. Cant unlock any of the potentuial without this. 1000$

So heres how it breaks down. Our cars come with 245bhp.

With everything i listed above you will probably see a gain of between 30-40hp (i'm being a bit generous). That brings the car to just under 300bhp if you're lucky.

However you've just spent almost 3500$ to not only make your car non-smog compliant but you've literally gained almost no power considering the money. 10hp per 1000$ is not a good investment.

Dont chase power if you are going to stay NA. This car isnt about going fast in a straight line. If you want power, and the ability to beat other cars off the line, get yourself a turbo. But do not be cheap and try to chase power, it wont happen and you'll spend so much more money than you really wanted for a difference that is only noticeable past 6k RPMs. My biggest advice to you, is learn how to drive the car first. And i dont mean pushing down the gas and watching the RPMS go up. I mean, learn where the car likes to be at, learn where the response is, figure out where the power drops off and where it kicks in. If i'm in V-tec i can fly by a lot of cars. This car isnt really slow. You want to feel slow? Go drive an 86.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:00 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by xxyion

Dont chase power if you are going to stay NA. This car isnt about going fast in a straight line. If you want power, and the ability to beat other cars off the line, get yourself a different car. But do not be cheap and try to chase power, it wont happen and you'll spend so much more money than you really wanted for a difference that is only noticeable past 6k RPMs. My biggest advice to you, is learn how to drive the car first. And i dont mean pushing down the gas and watching the RPMS go up. I mean, learn where the car likes to be at, learn where the response is, figure out where the power drops off and where it kicks in. If i'm in V-tec i can fly by a lot of cars. This car isnt really slow. You want to feel slow? Go drive an 86.
I made a slight correction in you@xxyion

@czirrfb3 Honestly speaking, this car, in stock form, is PLENTY for anybody.

I don't think anyone should start power modding, or change the suspension setup before you know KNOW the car? Get through 5 or 6 full track days without wrapping it around a tree first. Maybe upgrade your brakes and tires so you can get through those track days.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
I made a slight correction in you@xxyion

@czirrfb3 Honestly speaking, this car, in stock form, is PLENTY for anybody.

I don't think anyone should start power modding, or change the suspension setup before you know KNOW the car? Get through 5 or 6 full track days without wrapping it around a tree first. Maybe upgrade your brakes and tires so you can get through those track days.
LOL yeah, thats true too. But yeah, learn the car first. People are too obsessed with straight line speed. Personally, taking a corner at high speeds and doing it well is WAY more exhilarating. It also takes a hell of a lot more skill than just planting your foot.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:15 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by xxyion
LOL yeah, thats true too. But yeah, learn the car first. People are too obsessed with straight line speed. Personally, taking a corner at high speeds and doing it well is WAY more exhilarating. It also takes a hell of a lot more skill than just planting your foot.
For me, it's driving it smooth and steady, at speed or limping around town. There's a sense of satisfaction when non-enthusiast friends ride in the passenger seat, and they thought I've been driving an automatic all along.

Also, and I'm being honest here OP, you can take it how you want. Power mod to me aren't all that worthwhile. Most people use them as a talking piece in a 5 minute conversation, and brag about the power. 5 minutes later, nobody cares...
Old 02-19-2019, 10:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah you're right this car kinda scares me hitting a corner fast the back end always whips out on me I cant imagine more power until I figure this car out I'm coming from FWD so this is totally different.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by czirrfb3
Yeah you're right this car kinda scares me hitting a corner fast the back end always whips out on me I cant imagine more power until I figure this car out I'm coming from FWD so this is totally different.
Yup, this car is known for spinning out due to snap oversteer. If anything your money will be better spent on suspension mods and tweaking the handling of the car. New wheels and tires go a LONG way and a good set of coils will keep the car even more planted. Just imagine how much more satisfying taking that turn at a high speed will be. Highly recommend Auto-X or even a track day here or there.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:07 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

if your goal is to make the car more enjoyable by making it accelerate faster then you must add some kind of forced induction like a turbo or super charger. Bolt on not forced induction mods will all just disappointed you as they do little to nothing in this car.

Quick Reply: Test pipe?