S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Test pipes and emission changing mods

Old 03-19-2009, 10:19 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Test pipes and emission changing mods

I just saw bits and pieces of a documentary with Tom Brokaw on the Discovery Channel yesterday about global warming. Of course this is nothing new, but even watching some of it made me realize the urgency of the issue at hand. I enjoy tuning cars, have built several engines from NA to turbo and understand the restrictiveness/power reducing effect of emission equipment.

However, though it may give you more power, I think that everyone should consider the effect it has on the overall picture. In the s2000 community, test pipes are very popular for eliminating drones from exhausts. I just think, why not buy an exhaust w/o that drone in the first place? If money is an issue, then simply save up more, etc etc. In other cases, catalyzers are removed get more power, but is that really necessary and at what cost? I think as tuners and human beings we all have to consider the consequences of our actions.

Ive always ran a catalytic converter on all my car, when I wanted more power, I replaced it with a high flow one. Does it make as much power, or the same tone/noise as a test pipe certainly not. However, are those slight benefits worth the effect of changing the planet for the worse? I would just like everyone to reconsider what they are doing and before others start saying that "my car is driven only xx miles a day/month/year" or "there are many other sources of pollution that are cars are insignificant" I would like to note that, every bit counts and just because someone else is doing something wrong does not mean that you can too.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/globa...balwarming.html
Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Amen...
Old 03-19-2009, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hook, Line, and Sinker!

Global warming is a HOAX!! Wise up and stop getting your info from Liberal pukes!

Yes, pollution is bad. I agree %100, but don't give me this global warming, fear mongering crap!

Global Warming HOAX
Old 03-19-2009, 11:30 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

On what grounds do you say that it is fake.

Our average temperature is increasing, the ice caps are melting and sea level is rising.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:33 AM

Not so long ago they were talking about global cooling:

Global Cooling
Old 03-19-2009, 11:35 AM

ibtl

i don't care if you think global warming is or isn't happening.

drive behind someone without a cat for an hour and see how you feel about it. we make our test pipe drivers in the local group ride in the back of the pack on group drives so we don't have to deal with that nasty shit.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:40 AM

Did Tom Brokaw talk about this?

Linky
Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 AM

it does smell horrid!!

hoax or not its all gonna end in 2012.

ibtl
Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by pistolpete17,Mar 19 2009, 02:26 PM
Global warming is a HOAX!!
Well, smog isn't a hoax.

I have to agree with the original poster. Anyone of reasonable intelligence should know that pollution from a car's engine is not a good thing. If every car in the world disabled their emissions devices, we'd all be living in a lovely haze of smog, and enjoying acid rain on a regular basis. It really bothers me that some people think they should be exempted from society's decisions to limit pollution from their car's engine. And for what benefit? An undetectable amount of additional hp? Sorry, just not worth it in my book. I'm sorry, but there are much more responsible avenues to persue in the search for hp...
Old 03-19-2009, 12:04 PM

For the record, stock cat on my car.

Again,
Pollution = bad
Global Warming = hoax

Quick Reply: Test pipes and emission changing mods