S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Titanium AP1 Shift Knob Question

Old 09-10-2019, 03:56 PM
Site Moderator

Received 351 Likes on 305 Posts

The feel of a shift knob is extremely subjective. Size of your hand, seating position, there is a bunch of variables that means there is no best overall shift knob for the car but there is a shift knob that feels best for you as an individual and that may not be what is best for someone else. I like my heavy steel shift knob and cannot stand the light feeling of the CR knob but if someone else likes how that feels then who am I to argue. For what it's worth isn't the CR knob the same as one of the Type R shift knobs just with yellow numbers instead of red?

Really happy with my latheworks shift knob.
Titanium AP1 Shift Knob Question-zkstarel.jpg
Old 09-10-2019, 04:43 PM

Received 761 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
My OEM knob was a little chewed up when I picked up the car so that's how I justified swapping it out in the first place.
Ha, same reasoning for me. Picking up a Ti shift knob was the first thing I did when I got my car. Also, titanium is cooler than aluminium (in an impress-your-friends sense, not necessarily temperature).
Old 09-10-2019, 10:11 PM

Received 193 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Hertz Donut
Ha, same reasoning for me. Picking up a Ti shift knob was the first thing I did when I got my car. Also, titanium is cooler than aluminium (in an impress-your-friends sense, not necessarily temperature).
It'd go well with my Ti J's exhaust too
Old 09-10-2019, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
Yep, tried a heavy/sunk knob and disliked it a lot. The diameter is way off and the weight of it kinda numbs out the feel of the linkage.

And you're also right that one that is too small/light isn't optimal either. I have a car that came with a delrin SIGNAL knob that I didn't like at all.

The factory AP1/AP2 knobs are too small for my palm and the shape is awkward for spirited driving.

The CR knob has the perfect shape/height/weight (IMO). I'm sure that's why Honda designed it special for their "race" version of the car. It conveys the message perfectly. It actually works really well on other (FWD) Honda linkages too. Give it a shot!
Speaking of FWD and the CR knob working well for it, the FN/FD2 Civic Type R models actually have what seems to be the exact same CR knob but with red lettering instead of yellow. That may suit my red interior better than the yellow but then again I want the S2000 CR knob for my race car S2000 So yeah I do consider the CR knob but I also really love the original AP1 knob design, look and feel. The Ti version is enticing and I'm keen to see how it feels in comparison due to the higher weight than aluminium. The Ti AP1 knob costs significantly more than the CR knob though...
Old 09-10-2019, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
The feel of a shift knob is extremely subjective. Size of your hand, seating position, there is a bunch of variables that means there is no best overall shift knob for the car but there is a shift knob that feels best for you as an individual and that may not be what is best for someone else. I like my heavy steel shift knob and cannot stand the light feeling of the CR knob but if someone else likes how that feels then who am I to argue. For what it's worth isn't the CR knob the same as one of the Type R shift knobs just with yellow numbers instead of red?

Really happy with my latheworks shift knob.
I think you're correct about the Type R knob being the same as the CR one with red instead of yellow and your latheworks knob kind of looks like the Feel's Honda Twincam knob. Check it out
Old 09-10-2019, 10:20 PM

Yep, tried a heavy/sunk knob and disliked it a lot. The diameter is way off and the weight of it kinda numbs out the feel of the linkage.

And you're also right that one that is too small/light isn't optimal either. I have a car that came with a delrin SIGNAL knob that I didn't like at all.

The factory AP1/AP2 knobs are too small for my palm and the shape is awkward for spirited driving.

The CR knob has the perfect shape/height/weight (IMO). I'm sure that's why Honda designed it special for their "race" version of the car. It conveys the message perfectly. It actually works really well on other (FWD) Honda linkages too. Give it a shot!
Know of anyone selling a second hand CR knob? I do really want to try it but I am quite attached to my AP1 knob hence the Ti version being so enticing and I also say that the AP1 smooth aluminium knob is superior to the AP2's leather wrapped one. It just looks and feels better. Heat and cold aren't much of an issue for me since I hardly park her in the sun for long periods of time and don't daily her starting out early on winter mornings.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
It's slightly taller which I liked, but 'smaller/slimmer' up top which was odd at first. It's fine now and I enjoy it.
I do think I'd like something a little bigger and heavier but the titanium knobs works fine and looks great so I can't justify spending money on another/more shift knobs.
My OEM knob was a little chewed up when I picked up the car so that's how I justified swapping it out in the first place.

It's been years but I had a CR shift knob on my AP1 and kind of agree with the other poster stating it's the best shift knob for the car.

edit;
Picture out of boredom. Been on the car for 2 years and shows wear/one good knick.
Slightly taller huh? My original shift boot doesn't hide the lock nut though... I think the AP1 knob (both alu and Ti) are th best looking knobs for our cars. The CR one looks great too.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
OEM TI knob.

That looks great!!!! I really want that Ti knob but man it is more on the pricier side.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by MITeggy17
The shift knob on the scale was bead blasted.
Thanks for clarifying
Old 09-10-2019, 10:48 PM

Ti weighs about 1.7x more than aluminum, per volume.

So...assuming the shift knobs have the same volumes....a Ti knob should weigh almost twice what the aluminum one does.

In my opinion, the perfect weight, height, and shape for the S2000 shift linkage is the OEM CR knob.

I don't like the feel of weighted/heavy knobs, personally. Not sure if they put extra wear on the shift mechanism (think of side loads from cornering or when the car hits a bump and rattles the shifter while its in gear).

I also don't really like counter sunk shift knobs.

The entire car uses a light weight/low friction mantra. A big heavyassed countersunk shift knob might feel good in a muscle car...but it feels out of place on the S2000 IMO.

The shifter feels more smooth and I feel more in control with a medium diameter/lighter shift knob.

For reference, my glove size is a large. In my palm, the CR knob feels perfect.
You may have a point about loads on the shifter being affected by the weight of the knob. Of course that may be exacerbated by fast shifts that could be seen as "slamming gears" if done with excessive force. I would believe that our shift forks are much more robust than others would think they are. Another thing I wouldn't like is for a knob to be so heavy that it dulls the feeling of the transmission in my hand. This is especially awesome in the AP1 since it has brass synchros. It really allows you to feel the gears shift! Another thing I prefer over the AP2 which I've shifted many times before...

I'm keen on a CR knob. Also considered Mugen or Arvou.

Quick Reply: Titanium AP1 Shift Knob Question