S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

VAFC 2 Vs. Hondata Reflash

Old 02-02-2008, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAFC 2 Vs. Hondata Reflash

I was looking at the Hondata reflash dyno and i looks by lowering vtec, you can increase hp 1000 rpms before stock VTEC engagement, but losses peak HP.
Now will the same thing happen if I just lowered VTEC with a VAFC and corrected the fuel with a dyno?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can use the vafc to lower the vtec only and leave all the other corrections set to zero. That will make sure your hp doesn't change.

Curious...where are you seeing the dyno chart showing a loss in peak hp?

Also...might need to ask if the vafc or greddy emanage ultimate will work with the MY06+ cars.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, you do everything hondata has done except for changing the rev. limiter and modifing the timing.

always pro/cons, i'm going with the toda reflash just for the extended rev limiter, variable vtec range (4.2-6k) and so i don't have to spent alot of time/money on the dyno to tune the a/f.

reflash
pro - 8500 rev limiter, con for vafc

con - can't tune the a/f to your car, but for basic n/a bolt ons the reflash has you coverd, a pro for the vafc

pro - it's not a piggy back and it works, con for the vafc - not sure how good it really is at adjusting the a/f? does it fights the stock ecu in closed loop conditions?- i've read mixed reviews on how good the vafc adjusts a/f.

pro - hondata has already spent the time/money to tune for basic n/a mods (cai/exhuast/tp/header) and is plug and play, vafc - you have to spend lots of time and $$$ to tune the a/f at whatever vtec point you set

pro - if hondata releases a f-pro system for '06+ models, then we will a discount because we have purchased the reflash, vafc - we will tring to sale it on the used e-mang market for $50

pro - hondata tweaked the timing in the area they lowered the vtec (4.2-6k) range, can't do that with the vafc

does the vafc fit our '07? not sure about greddy either. i did read on aem's site the aem f/i controller will work on '06+ models with special wiring..
Old 02-03-2008, 05:03 AM

Why couldnt you use the VAFC on top of the reflash????
Old 02-03-2008, 05:13 AM

also, How do I determine if my 2007 will work with the reflash??
Old 02-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Former Moderator

I just checked Boomslang's website, and they do list a vafc pnp harness for the MY06...so you should be able to use a vafc.

To see if your ecu will work, you need to check the Hondata website. Here is what it says:
Any 06 or 07 S2000 with the ECU part numbers found on the bar code on the side of the ECU:

37820-PZX-A09 through A13
If you ecu is not A09-A13, check back on their website occasionally...they are working to add new ecu revisions as Honda releases them.

Again...where are you seeing a dyno plot showing a peak hp loss for the Hondata reflash?
Old 02-03-2008, 06:25 AM

I forget where i saw it, but i thought it was on hondatas site, but i just checked it out and it loooks different.
Here is a question though.
They say they tested a stock s2000, with the reflash, exhaust and IM gasket.

Now my questions is, is the dyno test a comparison between a bone stock s2000 and this s2k with exhaust, im gasket and the reflash? OR does the test car have the IM gasket and exhaust, and the only change is the reflash???

This has probably been explained before, but i did search briefly and didnt find this info.

Again, what is to stop you from having the reflash, and then having a VAFC to fine tune the a/f?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:54 AM

From what I read on their site, the only difference between the two cars is that one had the reflash and the other did not. So, with that in mind, they had both cars set up with the header/exhaust/gasket set-up.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Former Moderator

And you should be able to run a vafc on the reflash. But I would not be surprised if you do not see much in the way of hp gains. Honda fine tuned the fuel maps as time went on...MY00-01 were very rich and saw good gains from a vafc...by MY04-05 very small gains were seen from adding a vafc.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:52 AM

Ok if thats the case I'm planning for the Hondata.

Questions though, If a something serious happens to the motor and it needs to be serviced, how easy it it to delete the reflash???

Also, the VAFC would just be used to alter vtec engagement and fine tune the a/f when on a dyno. I mean i know they are close, but dont you want to keep stoichometeric a/f the whole way through then entire RPM range?? or do they program it to run rich for a reason?? I'm guessing the program is still a tad rich to compensate for unseen factors on a percentage of cars. I would have it tuned once my modifications were done

Quick Reply: VAFC 2 Vs. Hondata Reflash