S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Weird Test Pipe Sound

Old 04-12-2012, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Guys. I appreciate the help. I'll try to post a clip on here soon, but my recording equipment is not the best. I'll keep you updated.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Ok, so I drove it again and there is now way I'd be able to get a sound clip in order for anyone to hear it clearly enough to decipher what the issue is. It is when I accelerate. I can hear the air going through the test pipe, which sounds like air going through a hollow metal tube (DUH! Right?). I just feel as though I shouldn't be able to hear that, but if that's how it is, so be it.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:48 PM

Did you notive any butt dyno gains from the TP. If so, are they worth the strange noise?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:53 PM

I just put it on for the sound aspect and possibly for when I FlashPro tune it this summer. I may test the gains after the FlashPro, but that will be a little while. The noise isnt tooooo bad, but just sounds kind of cheap, not very well put together.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is 1000% the normal noise your suppose to hear with a testpipe on the stock cat back. Trust me on this one... Because of how quiet the stock cat back is you'll hear a slight tinny air like sounds from a test-pipe. I've run the invidia testpipe with stock catback many times. You don't have a gasket leak or whatnot.

A test-pipe on the stock cat back is not going to give you more rasp. Just a hollow tinlike sound and slighly louder on WOT. Throw an aftermarket catback on and you'll get the rasp.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the knowledge, 07RioS2k. As someone else said on here, do you feel as though it will wear itself in eventually, and the noise will go away?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:40 PM

I had the exact same issue. Just got sick of the cheap sound and put my stock cat back in.

I've got spoon street single btw.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swens654
Thanks for the knowledge, 07RioS2k. As someone else said on here, do you feel as though it will wear itself in eventually, and the noise will go away?
No problem. The sound actually won't go away unless you throw a new cat-back on that's loud enough to mask it, put the old cat in, or exchange for an hfc. Their is nothing in a test-pipe to wear in.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:48 AM

I just installed my 63.5mm test pipe yesterday onto a stock ap1 and I think I know exactly what he is talking about, and I do agree that it is probably a normal sound, but when I installed the header to test pipe spring bolts I noticed the stock ones didn't tighten up as much a I wanted them to. It seems like it little bit of noise is coming from somewhere I dont want it to, but it might just be normal like you guys said, I am going to block both muffler tips while its running, build up some exhaust pressure and see if any starts to leak from the test pipe, but when I catch some extra time I am going to install some aftermarket spring bolts that should make it fit a bit more snug.

As for exhaust tone, I did notice a very minor change which is probably more noticeable when your outside the car, I am going to modify a spare factory exhaust to increase the tone a bit without having the droning sound like in this thread https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/944056-exhaust-mod/ I want to get it to a decent sound level with the cat in there, and then only put the test pipe in for the track. My S2000 definitely feels noticeably more responsive, and theoretically you do increase power and lighten the chassis, so I love this $90 mod.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:30 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

this the sound? if so its normal, i might try some exhaust wrap to get rid of it, but the more i drive it the less i notice it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5oRluyeJQXE

Quick Reply: Weird Test Pipe Sound