S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Weird Test Pipe Sound

Old 06-07-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed a similar noise w my invidia tp and greddy tic. Obviously i could only hear it when driving at low rpm or speeds due to the loud exhaust. I just switched to berk tp w/ greddy se and again notice it, but this time it seems like a different tone and a little louder? Im guessing just the different metals or maybe bc its brand new gaskets?
Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea I installed a test pipe on my stock exhuast. Whenever I go WOT I can hear this "whooosing/whistling" sound above VTEC. It's kind of annoying.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ive got a 2.5" (63.5mm) test pipe size matched to a 2.5" collector on the header I have and it doesnt have a tinny / vibration noise like the video but a whooshing /whistle noise very similar to a blow off valve upon deceleration and a whooshing noise on acceleration that sounds similar to a turbo spool, it just sounds like air flowly through the exhaust really well.

My mechanic friend said one thing to me that has always stuck with me when I asked him about the noises my car started making, a lot of the stock stuff is DESIGNED to muffle engine noises and what not, when you take these away you start hearing little different things, like an intake, hearing the whining noise at idle, and the really loud vtec roar, obviously the loud exhaust when swapping to an aftermarket etc. little noises like these are normal. Just get a relatively tame cat-back and you wont be able to hear that buzzing noise anymore
Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As of right now I am running a 63.5mm berk test pipe, and a deleted mid pipe, with stock mufflers. Honestly when I first started it up it sounded like a badly tuned civic, and I was very skeptical but once it warmed up it was a whole different sound. You get a stock tone that is deeper only between 1.5K-2K RPM and 3K-4K RPM(it sounds very good)but overall its a bit louder, if you free rev it with full throttle(which isn't needed) it will have a slight raspyness to it, but once you hit VTEC it is too quite and I wanted to make it a bit louder, so I am going to bypass the twin loop muffler with a small piece of pipe under 1", should be loud enough for city driving.

For the track I am going to test out 2.25" straight pipe to a 2.25" split, and then run dual Honda OEM resonators(mid mufflers) right where the original mufflers were. This should shave around 40lbs since the resonators only weight around 5lbs, I can imagine it is going to be pretty loud which is why it will be for the track. I was thinking of running a single resonator but the diameter seems a bit small (2.25") and seems like it would restrict it. All this work will be done on spare parts, I am not touching my original exhaust.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by liquid_helix136
Ive got a 2.5" (63.5mm) test pipe size matched to a 2.5" collector on the header I have and it doesnt have a tinny / vibration noise like the video but a whooshing /whistle noise very similar to a blow off valve upon deceleration and a whooshing noise on acceleration that sounds similar to a turbo spool, it just sounds like air flowly through the exhaust really well.

My mechanic friend said one thing to me that has always stuck with me when I asked him about the noises my car started making, a lot of the stock stuff is DESIGNED to muffle engine noises and what not, when you take these away you start hearing little different things, like an intake, hearing the whining noise at idle, and the really loud vtec roar, obviously the loud exhaust when swapping to an aftermarket etc. little noises like these are normal. Just get a relatively tame cat-back and you wont be able to hear that buzzing noise anymore
This is exactly how my test pipe sounds. Most notable tone change was on decel, like a very well muffled backfire. I do not hear the tinny or raspy noises.

What intake are you running? And is your car an AP1 or AP2? I have a AP2V2, and comptech intake.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Six (6) year old thread.

I doubt Invidia makes anything that makes the exhaust sound "rich."

-- Chuck