S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Wheel Hub Modification (changing to 5x120.7)

Old 11-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Hub Modification (changing to 5x120.7)

Just a wild thought, would our current 5x114.3 (5x4.5) wheel hub be able to handle a rebore/reconfiguration to a 5x120.7 (5x4.75) bolt pattern? If you're thinking like me then yeah I want to explore other rim options. I have looked into the 5x108, 5x100 and 5x112's but nothing as exciting as the ones in the 5x120.7 pattern including S2000 friendly offsets. It would be nice if the size of the hub is as big as the 5x130 then we're talking Porsche like staggered set up with proper offset included. How does 18x7.5 +48 Front and 18x9.5 +55 or 18x10.5 +64 Rear light wheels sounds like? That's right! All available if we can get the hub to be reconfigured to 5x120.7.

I have some options to get this to an exact science but I just want to hear some thoughts on this at the time being. I'm currently working on finding the exact dimension of our car's wheel hub and then I'll compare it to the 5x120.7 hub. The other option I'll be exploring is to find out if the 5x120.7 rim I'm interested in has the same hub measurement as it's 5x114.3 counterpart.

We shall see in the next few days...............
Old 11-07-2011, 10:36 AM

I think it would be alot easier and cheaper to have the wheels you want to run redrilled to 5x114. It wouldnot be permanent resale value of your car would not be affected, and a pretty common thing to do..my tip for you is find the wheels you want and go to talk a wheel shop amd see what they can do for you
Old 11-07-2011, 11:59 AM

Probably the most usefull lug pattern is 5x114. Switching to anything else would exclude you from the majority of aftermarket wheels and most factory japanese wheels, seems like you would be switching it up just for that one set of wheels.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by i2ice
I think it would be alot easier and cheaper to have the wheels you want to run redrilled to 5x114. It wouldnot be permanent resale value of your car would not be affected, and a pretty common thing to do..my tip for you is find the wheels you want and go to talk a wheel shop amd see what they can do for you
Rightfully so but the rims I want does not have a cap that covers the bolt holes therefore it won't look right. The machine shop is charging me an hour and a half labor ($120) for the four hubs + the 4 disc brakes. Worst case I'll have to pick up hubs from the Geek Parts Store for $77 a piece so I have an OEM on the side. I have a feeling wheel shops will charge more to redrill bolt patterns. The main reason I'm looking into this for one the rims that I really like with the 5x114.3 config will require a lot of work to fit anyways? So I figure an 18x10.5 +64 would be easier to fit than say a 17x9.5 +38 ?

Originally Posted by ALWAYS_SLAMMED
Probably the most usefull lug pattern is 5x114. Switching to anything else would exclude you from the majority of aftermarket wheels and most factory japanese wheels, seems like you would be switching it up just for that one set of wheels.
Yeah I know but then I won't have enough budget to keep on getting these awesome wheels so I'm hooked on this one set of awesome wheels :-) And if I happen to have more money I get me a set of OEM hubs again.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5x114 is like the most common size ever, you should be able to find a wheel in those specs in 5x114 anywhere, unless you were trying to run a OEM wheel from another car, which I wouldnt understand anyway.
If you want high offset and wide 949 racing makes s2k sized wheels like 9 +63 and 10 +70 or something
Old 11-09-2011, 04:45 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Im pretty sure we might have defined "rice" in this thread some where.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:08 AM

wouldnt it be easier and cheaper to get bolt on spacers that have the lug pattern u want. i know dubbers have been doing this for years to run all sorts of wheels.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Back S2k
wouldnt it be easier and cheaper to get bolt on spacers that have the lug pattern u want. i know dubbers have been doing this for years to run all sorts of wheels.

This is what I was going to say they have lug pattern changers from H&R thats what I used on my corrado to put on 911 wheels
Old 11-09-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by corrado_driver
Originally Posted by Back S2k' timestamp='1320847680' post='21141555

This is what I was going to say they have lug pattern changers from H&R thats what I used on my corrado to put on 911 wheels
I know this coz' I had a 1990 Corrado. The thing with the dubs are the workable offset therefore they have room for adaptors as thick as 1" or 30 mm. And I paid tons to have a staggered set up and now that I have an S, I see people going the different route with the normally staggered car. Quite frankly there nothing "rice" about wanting to see a proper fitting wheel upgrade without later selling the set up coz' you just have experience the worst down grade in terms of torn fenders, used up tires in less than half of the expected thread life, an S that looks like a 130 pounder on roids you know what I'm talking about. So I guess the key is proper offset to begin with unless of course if you have the time and money to chop down your car to fit the so called right rims.

Anyways the rims that I'm looking at is the Enkei NT03+M. I noticed that on the 18" line up they have some workable offset for the S2000 but unfortunately they are on either 5x120.7 or 5x130 bolt pattern. IMO the only Enkei rims that the company have given thought for the S is the PF01 (17x8 +50 and 17x9 +60) not a bad choice if you're a fan of it. The NT03+M have 18x9.5 +55 and 18x10.5 +64 that could be worked in for the rear and an 18x7.5 +55 for the fronts, again they are on the 5x120.7 pattern. But this just me and my curiosity so I did order a rear hub to see if the shop that I spoke with could reconfigure it to a 5x120.7 bolt pattern. The manager thinks he can so we shall see. If my math is right, even if I have to buy 3 more hubs and have them all reconfigured including the disc brakes and the cost of the new wheels it would still be much cheaper than say a custom built rims. And if I'm wrong I just lost say $100, not bad for playing. But if I'm right well I got me so bad fitting combo without looking too cartoonish. Haters I'm playin k? My S is still stock after all this years so yes she looks no better nor run any faster. That's why she's whispering come play with me.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is not rice at all...I think it's a great idea. I have wondered it as well, as Porsches and Corvettes have nice wide, high offset wheels. There are a couple really good wheel options, as he mentioned. OP, let me know how it goes. My concern with this is that you would need to have new wheel bearings pressed in as well? What are your thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: Wheel Hub Modification (changing to 5x120.7)