S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Wind noise from aftermarket front hardtop brackets

Old 01-28-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise from aftermarket front hardtop brackets

Hey guys, I have a quick question. I bought the rockstar garage front hardtop brackets and now I'm getting more wind noise than when I had the OEM latches on. Now at around 45 mph opposed to 100 mph with the OEM. I just took out the hardtop striker plate and bolted on rockstar brackets using the same bolts. Made sure they were tightened with a power drill too. I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas? Pretty disappointed at all the wind noise as it's pretty unbearable, but I'm sure it has to do with how I installed it rather than the product itself. If you guys can give me some input I'd really appreciate it, otherwise I have to go back to the OEM latches for now. Let me know asap please, thanks.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:14 PM

is the front sitting flush with the windshield frame or is it higher?

i would go back to the oem latches and get new strikers or find some rubber/foam to put in between if they are loose.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:17 PM

Worn out strikers were the problem for me
Old 01-28-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Im pretty sure the Rockstar latches are a one piece design that makes the hardtop pretty "permanent"

OP I would make sure when tightening the hardtop that you get the seal to the front A Pillar as tight as you can and then worry about the back brackets (If that makes sense). I'm assuming your getting most of your noise up front. If that doesn't work you can shim between the hardtop bracket and the A pillar which will pull the front of the top down tighter against the seal.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try to adjust the top further backward.. double sided tape also works wonders.. just plase a sttip of tape at the edge of the front of the top where it meets your windshield. be sure that you didnt bend the brackets at all when installing theses. if you did, the top may be sitting too high.

i had a customer who has had the izzys front brackets for about 2 years now. we installed his top the other day and had the same windnoise you are describing, we went back and bent the brackets further back to lower the top in the front and that took care of the windnoise.

hope this info helps. let us know if you have any further issues.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 PM

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. Just could not get it down right no matter what I tried (adjusting the hardtop back and forth, tried to get the top front side to sit closer and lower with the front seal and failed, didn't get to try the tape method because I didn't have the tape on me and was running out of time) I have a long commute to work everyday and wasn't able to get it down in the short time I had. I got frustrated and ended up having to eventually put my OEM latches back on, and now I don't get wind noise at least up to about 90 mph. I made sure the brackets weren't bent and they're in perfect condition, I'll probably just have to try the tape method when I do have some time to work on the car later. I realized that I suck at doing this :/ on a brighter note, the rear 2 piece hardtop brackets have been awesome. Just wish I could get the brackets to eliminate the wind noise, I fail at this.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 PM

Sent you PM rockstar garage, thanks