S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Dyno results in for the PracWorks Carbon intake manifold

Old 03-21-2021, 08:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dyno results in for the PracWorks Carbon intake manifold

Finally got around to compiling the dyno results for the PracWorks Carbon intake manifold. Although I couldn't exactly get the in software comparison, I've done my best to get eliminate the variables to get an accurate comparison done.

Please read it here: Dyno results for the PracWorks Carbon intake manifold
Old 03-22-2021, 07:08 PM

Received 139 Likes on 114 Posts

Nice results, although not too surprising. In the very first SAE Technical paper on the F20C, Honda noted that they left some top end power on the table when they made the TB and intake manifold volume smaller to improve throttle response. There is also lots of evidence that the engine is starved for air at the top end and the more air you can get to it the better. Too bad the DBW makes it more challenging to upgrade the TB so there's always that choke point.

IMO, for the non-DBW folks, ITBs are the way to go if you're looking to keep it NA. After a larger TB, you're almost at a complete ITB setup moneywise already. That manifold is pretty sexy looking as well though.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by zze86
Nice results, although not too surprising. In the very first SAE Technical paper on the F20C, Honda noted that they left some top end power on the table when they made the TB and intake manifold volume smaller to improve throttle response. There is also lots of evidence that the engine is starved for air at the top end and the more air you can get to it the better. Too bad the DBW makes it more challenging to upgrade the TB so there's always that choke point.

IMO, for the non-DBW folks, ITBs are the way to go if you're looking to keep it NA. After a larger TB, you're almost at a complete ITB setup moneywise already. That manifold is pretty sexy looking as well though.
For non DBW i think there is still a fair price difference from a large enough (60+mm) ITB to this manifold with large (90mm) TB but in the end its personal preference.
I'm sticking to DBW and getting a bored TB thru MaxBore which is in the mail but i just wish I could do J37/ZDX without all the known CEL issues to match a 70+mm TB to the manifold. Oh well, it is what it is.
Be throwing in a header into the mix and see where I end up as well.

Keep a lookout for my next post
Old 03-30-2021, 12:45 PM

Received 3,381 Likes on 2,455 Posts

I would buy it just for looks, damn that is a beautiful piece. Very nice.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:37 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

There are CEL issues with the J37 TB? I thought it was plug and play.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:50 AM

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

With NA, runner length is super important. The OEM manifold has the longest runner of any on the market. The longer the runners the better torque and low end response. You should see a Corolla IM. So with a stock long block the best IM is the OEM one. To make it better you increase plenum size and inlet size.

With this carbon manifold, you will see some gains up top but you will lose some low end response. Neither is better than the other in this scenario since gains and loses are small.

This manifold will be much better suited for a stroker build. I have a stroker engine with a skunk 2 IM and a 90mm throttle body. The runner length is 1 inch short than stock and still I make peak power at 7800 rpm. In comparison the OPer kept his hp peak at redline with the shorter runner and stock engine.

So in short, the OEM engine and best with the OEM mani and stroker engines are best suited with shorter runners. This isnt cut and dry but a good basic reference.

Would be great to compare this carbon manifold vs a skunk 2 on my stroker engine.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by JamesD89
There are CEL issues with the J37 TB? I thought it was plug and play.
J37 used locally seems to do that. i havent tried it but my tuner has tried it enough times to tell me a bored up TB for my dbw would be good enough without the problems
Old 05-16-2021, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by xBoostx
With NA, runner length is super important. The OEM manifold has the longest runner of any on the market. The longer the runners the better torque and low end response. You should see a Corolla IM. So with a stock long block the best IM is the OEM one. To make it better you increase plenum size and inlet size.

With this carbon manifold, you will see some gains up top but you will lose some low end response. Neither is better than the other in this scenario since gains and loses are small.

This manifold will be much better suited for a stroker build. I have a stroker engine with a skunk 2 IM and a 90mm throttle body. The runner length is 1 inch short than stock and still I make peak power at 7800 rpm. In comparison the OPer kept his hp peak at redline with the shorter runner and stock engine.

So in short, the OEM engine and best with the OEM mani and stroker engines are best suited with shorter runners. This isnt cut and dry but a good basic reference.

Would be great to compare this carbon manifold vs a skunk 2 on my stroker engine.
considering the engineering that honda puts into their cars, i'd be very skeptical of claims for a fully stock engine with a big manifold swap to make big gains. For most owners who have some mods like higher compressions, cams, some porting and exhaust mods, i'm thinking this manifold might give them good gains as I did get especially if they are willing to give up some low end response for some top end gains.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:31 AM

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by c32b
considering the engineering that honda puts into their cars, i'd be very skeptical of claims for a fully stock engine with a big manifold swap to make big gains. For most owners who have some mods like higher compressions, cams, some porting and exhaust mods, i'm thinking this manifold might give them good gains as I did get especially if they are willing to give up some low end response for some top end gains.
I'm not sure how take this lol. Are you agreeing or shortening what I wrote? Cause that's what I emphasized in detail.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by xBoostx
I'm not sure how take this lol. Are you agreeing or shortening what I wrote? Cause that's what I emphasized in detail.
Agreeing. i just wanted to make it clear i was not trying to over present great results. I was always conservative with expectations for this mod, especially since there has been a history of such items not delviering the expected gains so the results were a pleasant surprise.