S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Engine compartment Cooling

Old 12-14-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine compartment Cooling

I an N/A, but the engine compartment gets extremely hot. I have considered heat shields, but that doesn't cool down the compartment. The vents that follow the hood intentions are very cool, but I don't know in the air pressure is correct for exhausting the heat. And hood scoop facing oncoming airflow challenges the pre radiator high pressure. Cowl vents and vents with the same hood cut out that is common, but with vents that face toward the driver should work. What about a hood raiser that elivates the rear of the hood, by the windshield (ugly? Maybe).

What new new idea or ideal solution have you found to r,deuce the heat?

Btw I get great high pressure pre radiator, cause I use a cooling plate which only feeds the radiator and a small vent to my cold air. Underneath, is covered with an air splitter.

thanks for any ideas
The following users liked this post:
S2kBird (03-09-2023)
Old 12-14-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

What makes you think it's "extremely hot" under the hood?

No modifications are needed if your car is OEM. Honda engineers (stupid as they are) saw no need for an aftermarket "cooling plate" or cutting holes in the hood. Your "cooling plate" is dumping that heat somewhere. Engine cooling works just fine right out of the factory.

-- Chuck
Old 12-14-2016, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the reply, you are totally right regarding engine cooling internally it is fantastic. I never pass 3 dashes.
But the engine compartment gets quite hot. I drive my car as it was designed, fast. I have wrapped my headers. An example, The wiring insulation tubes are brittle and the cooler the engine stays (once warmed up) the more efficient and faster it runs. Heat kills. I drive at fairly high speeds over 100 mph on the freeway when possible. I take great care of my car and look for improvements when possible. Btw I do have several decent mods, but nothing wild. Btww I live in S. California and it can hit 110 degrees plus in the summer.
My cooling plate doesnt dump heat, but increases air pressure pre radiator and funnel air better, since I have a cold air intake.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:45 PM

Received 3,358 Likes on 2,441 Posts

my J's racing Type-S hood has made a big difference, after a drive on the highway the intake manifold is so much cooler to the touch. Hot air is extracted with the shape of the hood opening, under car lift is also reduced as an added benefit.
I've heard of some people removing the rubber weatherstripping seal at the windshield cowl as a method to get hot air out of the engine bay as pressure builds under hood while driving.
I'm not sure how effective cooling plates are at doing anything, I've avoided them thus far, a vented hood with the proper shape and design is the way to go IMO.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:40 PM

Your S type hood is great and is he right design to extract heat, yet keep the engine compartment low pressure. U r right, the cooling plate doesn't affect the engine compartment, it merely keeps the incoming air pressure high and channeled through the radiator and a spout to my cold air intake. High air pressure pre radiator with low air pressure n the engine compartment. Thanks beautiful hood
Old 12-14-2016, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100 mph is nothing too fast. I have driven that for three to four hours in one turn. Stock cooling. The faster you go the better the cooling. Water temps never reached more than 100°c. I also could have set that lower if I wanted to since OEM cooling is powerfull enough. Hot intake air is what kills your power. Getting a CAI should fix your heat related performance issues.
​​​​
Old 12-15-2016, 04:40 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I've heard of some people removing the rubber weatherstripping seal at the windshield cowl as a method to get hot air out of the engine bay as pressure builds under hood while driving.
I'm not sure how effective cooling plates are at doing anything, I've avoided them thus far, a vented hood with the proper shape and design is the way to go IMO.
That actually isn't a bad idea, that may work rather well. Is there any discussions related to doing this? If there is no real downside I may give this a shot. It is all about reducing pressure behind the engine which this would clearly do.

EDIT: Wow, so seems my use of "clearly" couldn't be further from true! After a quick search this is massively debated as to if it is beneficial or harmful!!

Last edited by bgoetz; 12-15-2016 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

The base of the windshield is a high pressure area. Note that's where the cabin air intakes are on our and most other cars.

All the air that comes across the top of the hood strikes this area when it has to change direction at the windshield and creates a high pressure area as the flow resists turning. Opening up the back of the hood with spacer blocks will let hot air out. But only when the car is stationary. Once moving the air is forced into this area. Not sure what it does under the hood at this point, but air will enter not exit that area. Remember "Cowl Induction" on the Camero decades ago? Was kinda kool when the induction flap opened and the air cleaner noise could be heard.

I've seen holes cut in our hoods and know they exhaust hot air when the car is stationary. And ingest rain and other dirty water all the time.

The NACA duct was developed to get air in thru places like the hood. There may be a similar solution to getting it out but I've not explored that option since my OEM 2006 seems to be doing just fine as it is. Yeah a lot of heat comes out when I open the hood. Like every other car,

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 12-15-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The base of the windshield is a high pressure area. Note that's where the cabin air intakes are on our and most other cars.

All the air that comes across the top of the hood strikes this area when it has to change direction at the windshield and creates a high pressure area as the flow resists turning. Opening up the back of the hood with spacer blocks will let hot air out. But only when the car is stationary. Once moving the air is forced into this area. Not sure what it does under the hood at this point, but air will enter not exit that area. Remember "Cowl Induction" on the Camero decades ago? Was kinda kool when the induction flap opened and the air cleaner noise could be heard.

-- Chuck
this seemed to be the general consensus and the concern becomes creating a higher pressure under the hood and effecting air pulled through the radiator. Additionally more cabin odors and frequent windshield fogging