S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Help with AFR

Old 04-09-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with AFR

i just recently installed my AEM UEGO Wideband and took my car out for a spin to see what it's running at. Come to find out it bumps 14 AFR at vtec crossover and then settles at 13.8 afterwards. This is somewhat worrying as that is pretty lean under WOT. My current mods are K&N FIPK, 70mm test pipe, and invidia duals. So what kind of tuning method can i use that won't blow the bank. I drive a MY05 by the way. I know AEM EMS is the best but that is waaaaay out of my price range.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

it's not too lean.
it's still in "best drivability" range (13.0-14.5)
doesn't Hondata have something for MY05?
Old 04-10-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to see richer a/f during WOT.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by H22toF20
I'd like to see richer a/f during WOT.
very true
OP your best bet without total EMS is a VAFCII and get it dyno tuned
Old 04-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

vafc won't add fuel, it removes fuel so that wouldn't help richen it up..
Old 04-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Greddy emanage ultimate.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by 05BBs2k
i just recently installed my AEM UEGO Wideband and took my car out for a spin to see what it's running at. Come to find out it bumps 14 AFR at vtec crossover and then settles at 13.8 afterwards. This is somewhat worrying as that is pretty lean under WOT. My current mods are K&N FIPK, 70mm test pipe, and invidia duals. So what kind of tuning method can i use that won't blow the bank. I drive a MY05 by the way. I know AEM EMS is the best but that is waaaaay out of my price range.
My car has the same issue at VTEC crossover during WOT. Peaks right around 13.8-14 then settles back down. I'm using an Innovate LC-1 wideband and AEM F/IC to control and log my AFR. The F/IC is technically designed for aftermarket FI setups because it can't advance timing, but I paid $300 for the unit and boomslang harness so I couldn't pass it up. It has really nice fuel tuning options and can do closed loop tuning unlike the VAFC. Heres a picture of my AFR on factory ECU signal.

For the most part it runs pretty rich (normal for '00-'01 ECU) and then spikes real lean at 6k rpms. I didn't particularly like this so thats why I decided to use the F/IC to control my AFR. Plus I'm sure I can get some power by leaning out the mix where it goes into the low 12's.

The top graph above is the factory again, and the bottom one is the tuned AFR that I've achieved so far. Its a little rich throughout the whole thing but I wanted to have it in a safe range while doing all the tuning pulls. Now all I need to do is lean it out to around the 13.0 range. From what I've read you are going to want it no leaner than 13.5 during WOT. The best range seems to be 12.8-13.3 for power.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Former Sponsor

I'd be carefully using an FIC. They have proven to be really bad for the s2k. Especially AP1's. Some AP2's have had some success with them but AP1's tend to have hesitation issues using that to tune.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Moddiction
I'd be carefully using an FIC. They have proven to be really bad for the s2k. Especially AP1's. Some AP2's have had some success with them but AP1's tend to have hesitation issues using that to tune.
I'm quite aware of the issues some have had. The unit works with the car flawlessly. I did have some stumbling issues, but I figured out the issue and was able to remedy it by using the latest beta software AEM has released. Until this latest software you couldn't adjust fuel using TPS. You were forced to use the onboard MAP sensor or a signal from the car's MAF/MAP sensor. The S2000's factory MAP sensor doesn't provide enough variation in the voltage during WOT for it to tune properly. By using TPS to tune I fixed the issue. Below is a picture of some datalogging I did with the factory MAP sensor signal.

The yellow dots are the voltage during WOT. As you can see the voltage fluctuates within a range during open loop. It also doesn't change much throughout the rpm range. The darker dots are partial throttle signals. The stumbling is from the F/IC wanting to modify the fuel signal during closed loop because its receiving the desired voltage from the MAP sensor.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Nice man. Yeah I know the FIC works really well on many cars but always had that bug for AP1's. If that's solved that's really awesome!

Quick Reply: Help with AFR