S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

HKS header (New tune aug4th)

Old 07-11-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Not sure what you're disappointed about, a lot of guys find zero gains or even losses. You got a nice mid-range gain there , and a bit at top end, with not much of a loss anywhere else. That's what it's all about, other than the cost per/ hp gain, I don't see anything to be disappointed about. Plus 13 runs with the hood closed is going to impact things with high underhood temps, dyno fans aren't enough to assist with air flow in those conditions. Thanks for testing and thanks for sharing
Old 07-11-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Very true sir. We were also getting high oil temps when tuning the upper rpm range . Close to 250 degrees. The fans there are huge. If u sit on a chsir with rolling wheels the fan will blow u..We would let the car idle get the temps back down to 193 try again. The final wot run we had oil temps right at 193
I have a video where I did a 2nd gear pull on the streets with my boltons minus header . I'm Gona try and do a 2nd gear pull tomorrow for a before and after video
Name:  20150710_121931.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  85.0 KB
Old 07-12-2015, 12:48 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Not to be the buzz kill to this party, but i hate seeing guys blowing thousands on useless equipment to find some magic N/A power. You can duplicate these exact results from a before and after with A TP and a VAFC/Neo. The mid range increase you have seen here is simply from lowering vtec and correcting the A/F where it needs to be from that modification, and the top end increase is simply from leaning out the A/F, all of which can be done with a vafc and the factory exhaust system with cat delete. This header and AEM EMS heavily burdened your wallet unnecessarily. Don't spend any more money on trying a retune with Evans, its not in the tune at this point, its in the bolt ons/engine and environment/IAT.

If you want to feel some more results from this point for somewhat minimal cost, pick up a 70mm TB from SOS and hone/port match the opening of the manifold. You will gain a noticeable improvement in throttle response at all rpms, and most noticeable on the bottom end where your motor suffers the most. You will pick up a few hp at WOT through the entire rpm band as well.

Id recommend a lightweight(sub 9lb flywheel) as well, but not until you need to dig into the car for other major surgery.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:07 AM

I thought there would be more power at around 6k also more in the midrange. We only saw 11 most plots i see people gain almost 20 at mid. Just from looking from other people's plots usually they make power the entire rev range. My power band pretty much is the same as stock once the stock ecu hits vtec(stock ecu really made 1-3 whp more depending the rpms) till around 8k where it tapers off a little. That's why I wanted to go to evans to see if he could squeeze some power so my entire rev range is over stock. But again idk if 5 hrs on the dyno non stop played any role on my final numbers. Plus the stock ecu had a long break before we did our base run to cool down. My final numbers did not. Plus the hood was closed the entire time to get a more accurate number I just wish I knew how much these factors really played on the final end. I could always go back to the same dyno and let the car sit for about the same time my base runs did to get the most accurate results. We did add 1 degree of timing to my peak and it gained 1 whp but my mechanic said we were splitting hairs at that point so he took the degree out. My mechanic also offered to lower vtec more to see what would happened but I was content with 4400

Sorry for long post
Old 07-12-2015, 07:54 AM

Here's a closer inspection of the upper range . Stock ecu on the right. Again idk how much all the factors I listed above played a role on these numbers
Name:  20150711_090321.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  72.7 KB
Old 07-12-2015, 09:52 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

IMO these are typical gains from a header install. As stated earlier, you would have gotten similar results for less with a test pipe and VAFC. On my set-up with stock ecu with test pipe I put down 193whp, with VAFC II and tune I made 224whp, without the expense of a header. I will say your header looks nice though.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
IMO these are typical gains from a header install. As stated earlier, you would have gotten similar results for less with a test pipe and VAFC. On my set-up with stock ecu with test pipe I put down 193whp, with VAFC II and tune I made 224whp, without the expense of a header. I will say your header looks nice though.
But that's what I don't get .U gained 31 whp. I went from 205 whp to 208whp
Old 07-12-2015, 11:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Throw the oem header back on, then re-dyno/tune. The header shouldn't make a huge difference in ignition a fuel requirements.

Right now, it just a guess whether or not this header is gaining or losing power. Numbers do seem low.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
Throw the oem header back on, then re-dyno/tune. The header shouldn't make a huge difference in ignition a fuel requirements.

Right now, it just a guess whether or not this header is gaining or losing power. Numbers do seem low.
Numbers don't mean anything. I'm looking at gains. If I just came in here and slapped my dyno jet numbers showing I made 220whp everyone would say I made solid numbers. 14 whp in mid and about 13 whp from 8k-redline. But my peak gain was a whole 5 whp if we are looking at my dyno jet number . But i dont like using dyno jet caus there inflated numbers. I rather use my mainline ones which are far more accutate.This is why I wana go to evans. I'm sure there's another 10 whp at mid. And more peak to be found.
The numbers are on par with everyone else's on here. But the gains are what seem low. If I made more power throughout the rev range I would be happy. I think from 6-8k rpms there's some power to be had in there
Old 07-12-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't get so defensive. I never mentioned anything about specific number or different dynos. The delta vs stock should be more. Im giving you solid advice based on my experience of dyno testing different parts.

I will reiterate, you don't know whether or not the hks header has a POSITIVE or NEGATIVE effect on your power an torque CURVES. Hence test again with your oem header.

Quick Reply: HKS header (New tune aug4th)