S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Its Crunch Time Guys !

Old 08-28-2013, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What effect will my ap1 cams have on my new 2.2L?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NYS2000TURBO
What effect will my ap1 cams have on my new 2.2L?
Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Former Sponsor

BTW, that was a quote from Ghost Busters.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:27 AM

Lol I will search it. Heard a c
Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 AM

Lol I will do a search. Heard a couple different things about ap1 cams in ap2
Old 08-29-2013, 05:40 PM

Has anyone run itb's with E85 ?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:53 PM

So just four days after my last post above I find myself second guessing my all motor build, goals and aspirations including the two major and costliest parts I currently don't have yet which are 1- itb/vacuum setup(which would most likely be the Urge Design setup) and a few other parts for it at a cost of about $2,950.00 and 2- the Gern-pipe at a cost of $1,199.00 for a total of $4,149.00 and I still need an exhaust. I was also contemplating on cams which is an additional cost. And again if I go through with this I'm going to be installing these parts on my brand new from the dealer,zero mile 2.2L shortblock with my virtually stock non ported head with just supertech valvetrain.
I'm kind of thinking that maybe I should leave my all motor build for when I have the 12 to 15 grand to spend on a motor and head and do it proper. So now I'm thinking of crossing over into the dark side and doing the simple looking HKS supercharger setup that the Evasive S2000 is using and making a fun, over 300whp for about $4,500.00 and maybe just adding the 3" HKS exhaust with a 3" test pipe and call it a day..for a little while at least, as I will one day be doing a sick all motor build. Does anyone want to try and talk me out of it? I'm also trying to find out if the HKS supercharger is maxed out at the 10psi they are running it at or if there is potential for more power with the same blower. Feel free to chime in all you big name players
Old 09-04-2013, 06:18 AM
Former Sponsor

The low cost per HP for entry level FI setups can be really appealing, but those entry level systems are not that enjoyable. The SC you are talking about doesn't seem to include any of the things it really needs to make it decent. It doesn't even have an ECU, so there's going to be a lot of additional cost to get it running.

When you go the NA route, it can get really expensive, but it doesn't have to start out expensive. If you just figure out what your budget is, then allocate that budget based on "bang for the buck", you'll be better off in the long run.

Obviously, I'm going to recommend my exhaust as part of your build, but I truly believe it offers the biggest bang for the buck of any NA mod available for the S2000. As you can see in the dyno plots posted by myself and many owners, my mid-pipe creates massive midrange gains even when it's installed in a stock S2000 using the stock mufflers. That said, now that I'm offering a full header-back system, I don't really sell that many bare mid-pipes.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:09 AM

Thanks for all your insight, i do appreciate any ideas anyone has and shares. I actually do have Kpro, I.D1000's, and upgraded fuel pump already. I really would just need a new clutch and exhaust setup after the supercharger purchase. Still on the fence though.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also in a similar position as you. I was going for an NA build but driving around in my bro's boosted MR2 that makes like 450whp is really starting to make me reconsider lol. The NA route does require a lot of patience. I've been looking at the new HKS Supercharger too but I don't see much potential in it as far as increasing power, although I'll be pretty happy with ~320whp.

Either way my first mod was the flashpro and then the gern-pipe.. it's been amazing so far, even without a tune! There hasn't been much testing on it with a supercharger but I think gernby said it should be better than any other exhaust anyway (correct me if I'm wrong). I've been looking into SC setups instead of turbo so I can still keep the gern-pipe. I decided to hold of on any other mods until I decide.. I feel the stock intake is the best option considering the cost of some intakes and I believe that gernby and many others also said the same about the stock header.. although I'm not sure if an aftermarket header would benefit with a supercharger... also waiting on more feedback on the HKS supercharger.

Quick Reply: Its Crunch Time Guys !