S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Mugen intake

Old 05-07-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mugen RR
PWJDM also is dry carbon, no?
I have no experience with it, but I highly highly doubt it. The price would reflect it being dry carbon and a lot of USDM fan bois would rave about it, if it were so. It's supposed to be a copy of the ASM design.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sold mine for 550 used. It wasnt perfect but was still in ok shape. Sound was ok but I feel it was just a cool part to have and look at.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by soupbraa
I just sold mine for 550 used. It wasnt perfect but was still in ok shape. Sound was ok but I feel it was just a cool part to have and look at.
I guess it would depend on the condition and completeness of the package. Some surface scratches are no big deal. It's when it's missing pieces and/or has cracks that the value goes down significantly.

Would you mind posting a picture of the condition you sold yours in? $550 is the cheapest I've ever heard of this intake being sold.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I could have gotten $700 or so but not many people want to fork that kind of money over for a used intake that doesn't really give you any performance advantage. A lot of flakes and stuff so I just let it go.

Last edited by soupbraa; 05-07-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:00 PM

Looks like it was in good condition. It appears it was missing the front mounting brackets. I'm assuming it was still mounted to the front crossmember.
​​
I would beg to differ about the performance of the intake. I think that knowledge of its performance is overshadowed by its price. If you take a look at King's website they have data to support performance gain. Hondata even has a "Mugen" calibration offered as a base map. All the top JDM tuning companies use the Mugen intake unless they produce their own model.

I noticed a difference in intake note and throttle response just from mounting mine. I believe the isolation from engine bay heat, and the velocity stack are what contribute most to the noticeable difference.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I'm sure its worth half a dozen hp. Its just for the amount of money spent, its pretty high on the hanging fruit list. Someone has to really enjoy the novelty of knowing they are running a Mugen intake and enjoy seeing it when they pop the hood to justify it. I don't really have any branding appreciation myself so the value is pretty low to me. Id rather spend 1/8 the amount and mock something up myself that offers similar performance.

I recently just picked up a replacement HPS intake arm to replace the 17 year old cracked stock one, and have that transition to a 3.5 OD 6" extension into the stock opened up box and then into a 4" OD velocity stack into the Comptech SC foam filter I am repurposing. Also with the new HPS arm I am able to run the AIT sensor closer to the filter location for hopefully a little cooler air pick up and gain some more performance that way. This set up should have a nice bump in flow, wile keeping the velocity high still being a 3" at the TB, but a really smooth transition from 4" to 3" in a 6" longer then stock intake.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 05-08-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:07 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Oh interesting they do list it as dry carbon. The finish is totally different on PWJDM and the Mugen though. Password is still glossy where the Mugen is matte. The weave of the carbon is noticeably different on the mugen as well. The quality and fitment still isn't the same as the mugen.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:37 PM

It's definitely the lowest of the hanging fruit, but if someone is looking for the best performing, off-the-shelf intake this would be it; and with a purchase price 1/3 of it's original msrp it looks like a good deal. There isn't much power to be had out of N/A mods on this motor. It's been proven that a tp and tune is the best power adders. For those who want to add every last ounce of N/A power this would be a good modification.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:52 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Id upgrade the TB size and port match the manifold for less then $300 way before id invest more then this on an intake. The two work best paired, as long as the intake design is effective. But if I had to pick one of the two the TB puts out substantially more power per dollar spent. Id say its right up there after the TP. It actually changes the response of the engine in all points of the throttle, wile offering a good 5-6whp across the rpm range at WOT/NA. Double that when FI in my experience. Put a good intake and tune on the car and you could see 20whp in the mid range and a good 12-15whp up top. The returns and cost diminish from there. But 230whp out of a F22 isnt unheard of. But more importantly the mid range bump, which takes less money.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 05-08-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:53 PM

That does sound more reasonable, and you're right, it works best paired. Port matching a bored throttle body (tb) is next on my list of N/A mods, but I wasn't sure which size tb to go with and which model. The ASM unit seems like the best off-the-shelf unit, but again, keeping price in mind, is not the most effective. I also don't enjoy the downtime between such modifications.

Quick Reply: Mugen intake