S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

my ap1 back on the dyno with a 70 mm throttle body and a stepped intake

Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, this is going to sound ricer, but hear me out first. i read that you found having a long intake helped the car. i also noticed something when i was driving. im turbo, but again, here me out. i was crusing along on the highway, and giving the car just enough throttle to hit 0 load, no vacuum, no boost. so i was sucking air in thru the turbo and thru the fmic. and i watched my iat's drop.

would you think to try a fmic on your na s2k. yes, it sounds retarded, i hear that, but in the end you are sucking air thru a heat transfer part, ie the fmic, and then into the motor, and because brian found that long intakes dont hurt performance, it wouldnt be a big deal with all that extra piping. idk, just thinking out loud based on what i saw.

ive looked at my logs, in boost or at 0 load, my intake temps drop a decent amount ever since i went turbo and have the fmic. anyways, flame away, i know i would in years past lol.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ebay intercooler plus velocitystacke elbowed on one end plus about the same amount of plumbing as a cai going to the tb.

hrmm why not give it a try hehe. at idle id imagine it would heat up rather easy being in front of the rad i guess. but at cruise speed i would imagine it would be cooler then a regular cai.

lol patient it be!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by camuman
ok, this is going to sound ricer, but hear me out first. i read that you found having a long intake helped the car. i also noticed something when i was driving. im turbo, but again, here me out. i was crusing along on the highway, and giving the car just enough throttle to hit 0 load, no vacuum, no boost. so i was sucking air in thru the turbo and thru the fmic. and i watched my iat's drop.

would you think to try a fmic on your na s2k. yes, it sounds retarded, i hear that, but in the end you are sucking air thru a heat transfer part, ie the fmic, and then into the motor, and because brian found that long intakes dont hurt performance, it wouldnt be a big deal with all that extra piping. idk, just thinking out loud based on what i saw.

ive looked at my logs, in boost or at 0 load, my intake temps drop a decent amount ever since i went turbo and have the fmic. anyways, flame away, i know i would in years past lol.
i'm going to assume that you're still using the stock iat sensor. if so, just know that the stock iat sensor will read a hotter than ambient temperatures. the 00-05 s2k's have the iat sensor on the intake manifold and it usually reads higher than ambient temps at cruising speeds because the intake manifold gets hot. an intake manifold gasket will drop the temps a bit.

i'm running a gm iat sensor on the intake pipe. my iat's are always around ambient temps since the filter sits behind the front bumper. therefore, i don't think an intercooler will do much since the air coming in is already roughly the same as ambient temps.

btw if you're in south florida, you should pass by the dyno day this weekend in miami
Old 02-13-2012, 08:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.
btw if you're in south florida, you should pass by the dyno day this weekend in miami
Not that I'm down in South Florida, but are you going to be running your new header?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.
well speaking of aftermarket header, i just purchased the skunk2 header. as always, i will be posting results.
Have you tested it yet?
Old 02-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's normal for IAT to drop when you get off the boost, since it's the boost that actually causes the IAT to increase. Any time you change the pressure of a gas, the temperature changes with it. That's why the high pressure side of an a/c compressor is always hot and the low pressure side is always cold (assuming the A/C is running).
Old 02-14-2012, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by gernby
Originally Posted by camuman' timestamp='1329143138' post='21409310

It's normal for IAT to drop when you get off the boost, since it's the boost that actually causes the IAT to increase. Any time you change the pressure of a gas, the temperature changes with it. That's why the high pressure side of an a/c compressor is always hot and the low pressure side is always cold (assuming the A/C is running).

im not explaining it correctly. i was just curious. ive been NA, ive been SC with an aftercoler setup, and i am now turbo with a fmic. all three setups have had the same aem ems and same intake air sensor in the same place. my turbo setup produces the lowest intake temps i have ever seen, in boost, cruising, and partial throttle accelerating not in boost.

hope that helps.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my turbo setup produces the lowest intake temps i have ever seen, in boost, cruising, and partial throttle accelerating not in boost.

hope that helps.
Your turbo setup exhibits lower IATs than when you were N/A?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:06 PM

Just to let you guys know, he has tested the Skunk2 header vs his PLM. I'll let him show/tell you the results though.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blasphemy101
Not that I'm down in South Florida, but are you going to be running your new header?
Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Have you tested it yet?
the header was tested this past weekend. i am not going to go into details over the results at this time.

Quick Reply: my ap1 back on the dyno with a 70 mm throttle body and a stepped intake