S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

my ap1 back on the dyno with a 70 mm throttle body and a stepped intake

Old 11-14-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also curious if you have any indications of valve float.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.
Originally Posted by nipponS2000' timestamp='1321255988' post='21153848
Great numbers dude .How is it on the road?Any video of your car revving through gears maybe?I think that Haltech performs great,is it better than Aem?How about high octane gas?I think you'll get some more power +the hytech n/a version manifold(long tube).Keep up the good work and some in-car video please if it's possible.
i don't have any videos of the car yet. as far as aem and haltech go, both can achieve the same end result. there are just a few features here and there that differ. at the end of the day it comes down to what the tuner is more comfortable with. i am using e85 fuel which is ~105 octane depending on the ethanol content. i'll see if i can get some videos.

Originally Posted by gernby
Nice. What does the "step" look like in the intake pipe? Would it be possible to replace the step with a megaphone in order to spread out the resonant hump and reduce turbulance?
if you look at the picture above, the small pipe coming off the throttle body is 3 inch then comes the reducer and the rest is 3.5 inch. the entire intake is held by couplers and clamps lol. i'm sure i can weld on a megaphone to make the step smother. i'm sure i can weld other parts of the intake piping and make the transitions smoother but i can't get it all welded or i would have trouble adding/removing the intake pipe.

Originally Posted by Hirevs2k
hey man, do u have any plans on installing aftermarket cams such as bc stage 2? i think u'll hit the 240whp mark w/ cams and a good header like hytech.
i do, but before i go into the motor i want to see how much power i can extract out of this motor bone stock with just supporting bolt on modifications. i am also curious about the valves possibly floating at high rpm so i may end up swapping out valvetrain and leaving the stock cams to see what happens to the powerband up top with stiffer springs.

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Good impressive solid gains , i take the weather conditions were roughly the same vs your last dyno session.
it was in the mid to upper 70's. the previous session, the weather was in the mid to upper 80's. it's south florida lol. it rarely goes under 80 degrees and if we have a nice cold front come in it lasts for no more than a few days lol.

Originally Posted by rog06s2k
Well done!

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.' timestamp='1321195230' post='21152148
if the 3.5 inch intake pipe and the larger throttle body worked well on a f20c imagine what it can do on a f22c. with the right bolt on's i don't see why you can't hit 250+ whp on a ap2.
With BC stage 2 cams I agree...

Originally Posted by Hirevs2k
hey man, do u have any plans on installing aftermarket cams such as bc stage 2? i think u'll hit the 240whp mark w/ cams and a good header like hytech.
I think he could hit it without resorting to a Hytech header just cams.....
i really think you can hit 250+ whp on a ap2 with stock cams. i want to get my hands on an ap2 and do the same setup i have now to see what gains can be had.
Thanks for the info, I'm going to shop with them when I build mine. Ill try to make it as long as possible. I have the same header, tp, and exhaust as you. Id love to add the intake and get a nice tune
Old 11-15-2011, 06:14 AM

damn i have not seen a ap1 make that much power like yours good job
Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.
i really think you can hit 250+ whp on a ap2 with stock cams. i want to get my hands on an ap2 and do the same setup i have now to see what gains can be had.
Im buying my intake parts today!
Old 11-15-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IAmTheRealAsif
Thanks for the info, I'm going to shop with them when I build mine. Ill try to make it as long as possible. I have the same header, tp, and exhaust as you. Id love to add the intake and get a nice tune
i wouldn't necessarily try to make the intake pipe as long as possible. there is a range. too short will result in a power loss and too long could result in a power loss as well. when i was on the dyno the previous time testing intake length i noticed that a good 5 to 6 inches more is what i needed to achieve a fuller powerband up top.

i was going to make the intake go the opposite way towards the passenger side fender like other off the shelf intakes but when i took measurements it ended up being too long for my liking.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never seen power loss by going too long. It would be so long that it wouldn't fit in the car. I tested out to 10 ft on my car. It never lost any power.. the final intake that fit was about 6 ft long.. that's all that would fit.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:51 AM

I have seen a power loss by going too long on other motors. On this motor i've only tested my short ram intake and what I currently have now. It could be that this motor just likes a long intake path or maybe the mods we have done are complimented well with a longer intake.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So the omnipower tb bolts up like stock, and retains coolant lines?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by award78
So the omnipower tb bolts up like stock, and retains coolant lines?
yes it's a b-series throttle body but it bolts right up and the nipples are there for the coolant lines if you wish to use them. i re-routed mine so i don't have coolant lines running to the throttle body nor the idle air control valve.

for $100 you can't beat this throttle body.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet, thanks

Quick Reply: my ap1 back on the dyno with a 70 mm throttle body and a stepped intake