S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

my Ktuned 80mm TB

Old 01-29-2018, 07:47 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Maybe something is plugged in incorrectly <vac or wiring> cam timing ok ?not on vtec cam is it
Old 01-29-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by noodels
Maybe something is plugged in incorrectly <vac or wiring> cam timing ok ?not on vtec cam is it
dont have any dtcs though which is weird but maybe not too weird. All my sensors seem to be operating correctly when looking at the ecu manager. As far as vacuum lines go it’s pretty simple. Just have MAP, FPR, brake booster, EVAP and a vacuum block tied into the manifold at the moment. I double checked for leaks last night. That’s how I found the TB gap. Vtec killer is disabled lol. I can hear the engine go into vtec on the dyno. There’s a video I put up on YouTube so you can see how it sounds. Lmk if you’d like the link. Not trying to self promote but if it’ll help I’ll do it . It shows how it idles and I describe a bit about the issue. Wish I knew timing. I forgot to look yesterday.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:19 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Could also look at
iacv deleted and adjustment made on ecu for delete ?
tps calibrated for correct volts open / shut ?
Old 01-29-2018, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by noodels
Could also look at
iacv deleted and adjustment made on ecu for delete ?
tps calibrated for correct volts open / shut ?
no actually the only thing I did was disconnect the iacv and plug ports. I never did go back and tell the ecu not to send commands to the valve. The tps is calibrated...or was before I started messing with it that night. It was still idling funny before I changed the throttle stop.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:36 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 01-30-2018, 10:00 AM

@f20kills. Thanks!! Want to trade? Yours looks to be a bit better sealed up than mine. I can’t really tell in the photo but is the idle adjustment screw touching the stop? I know there’s supposed to be some small amount of opening. I talked to ktuned and showed them the photos. They are willing to replace the part. Customer service is great imo now lol. Now the real question is....72mm or keep it 80mm.....hmmmm
Old 01-30-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't adjusted anything..thats right out of the box and it does touch the stop. I could adjust to close the TB even more
Old 01-30-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by AP2SSM
thats a good question. I wish I remember what my tuner said. I want to say he said it was at 8 btdc. He gave me the impression that it looked normal. But at -16 on the map the engine thought there was some load right? But according to the afr it didn’t seem like it. That’s all programmable of course. We had the iacv removed and plugged. If it was in we got a surging idle.
Oem spec is 5 degrees.

If you're still having the surging issues the next time you start the car I'd double check what's going on with the timing - some ecus are able to adjust idle rpm by adjusting timing. If that's enabled when you have TB or IACV issues it could be compounding the issue (and possibly cause high EGT?)
Old 01-30-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by afzan

Oem spec is 5 degrees.

If you're still having the surging issues the next time you start the car I'd double check what's going on with the timing - some ecus are able to adjust idle rpm by adjusting timing. If that's enabled when you have TB or IACV issues it could be compounding the issue (and possibly cause high EGT?)
I think the TB is the main issue. When i get my new one ill put everything back to normal. Even the IACV. I am highly confident it will do fine. I bet it will even idle like a champ. Timing will definitely be verified. I am just hoping there is still some chance I can make a proper gains. I mean i understand my IM is too large. But, when i found that crack in the vacuum tee that fed that MAP of all things.....There has to be some chance for redemption!

Wouldn't you think the MAP sensor vacuum leak can cause loss of power? But...will it? I mean when an engine is at WOT the pressure is basically zero....so the map should see zero too....so should it make a difference? Know what i mean?
Old 01-30-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Yes WOT power shouldn't be affected, at least not theoretically.
But all those idle issues might have caused problems, I mean a glowing header isn't the best starting point when you start doing WOT pulls
Your idle issues and the EGT seems very likely to be caused by that leaking TB though so hopefully you got it sorted soon.

Quick Reply: my Ktuned 80mm TB