S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the appearance?
Too ricey
24.44%
Good
38.33%
Bad
12.22%
Too lop-sided
11.67%
Needs to be a different color
28.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

New Intake prototype

Old 12-14-2012, 05:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default New Intake prototype

I have really enjoyed the performance gains from my PWJDM intake, but now that I have an exhaust system that provides large gains in the same RPM range (the midrange), I have been searching for an intake that provides gains higher in the RPM range. I didn't plan to develop a new intake, but thought that the easiest way for me to find the right "off the shelf" intake would be to do some simple prototyping.

That worked out fine for a couple days, but the simple prototyping got my creative juices going, which triggered a development frenzy. I think I've found the design that provides the best performance, but am not sure if I want to build a production unit. It seems that the most important part of my decision to produce it depends on feedback about the appearance.

Please let me know what you think. Obviously, the prototype isn't perfect, but I would like to know your thoughts about the concept. I don't want to show dyno plots or any additional pictures right now.

BTW, if you can't tell from the pictures, the inlet is a 5" velocity stack that has been cut to fit the opening of the bumper.

Name:  IMG_4389_zpsf9a6a5b8.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4387_zps54e36be2.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  67.1 KB
Old 12-14-2012, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I myself am very interested very low key and from your mid pipe design i can only imagine this is something that will work very well together or by itself, maybe next North Texas meet on a Sunday you can show us all like you did your mid pipe. Lovely thing to be a local to see it in person
Old 12-14-2012, 05:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No love for ap1?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Is there a way for you to check coolant temps? I'd only be concerned with cooling. You could always color match it to the grill.

Keep up the good work! I'm a fan of the GERPIPE.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you going to do about bugs/ road debris getting in there??
Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by JayC07
What are you going to do about bugs/ road debris getting in there??
It definitely looks cool. I agree with this though. Also, what about water?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the feedback!

@award78 - I would definitely consider something for the AP1 if I move forward. I just don't have access to an AP1 bumper.

@ddess - I do monitor coolant temps, but there isn't a concern about it. The radiator already shares the incoming air with the intake, so moving the intake's inlet into the bumper itself doesn't reduce the available air left over for the radiator. I would bet that it actually improves cooling. It would definitely be as good or better than the PWJDM, which blocks more than half of the radiator's view through the bumper. Regarding the color, I did consider matching it to the grill (black), but I realized that would make it look weird from some angles, since the inlet would cover up part of the white painted areas. The other color option I considered was gray, so that it matched the grill somewhat, but didn't make the bumper look "broken" from certain angles.

@JayC07 - I've been pulling bugs and debris out of my PWJDM intake for years. I don't believe this would be any different. I'm using a K&N filter, which is pretty simple to wash.

@yeaitsahonda - Water isn't a concern.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I full believe this is a 100% function part but it just doesn't look good and I don't know how you'd keep it that functional AND make it look good.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
I full believe this is a 100% function part but it just doesn't look good and I don't know how you'd keep it that functional AND make it look good.
I didn't want to be the rude one but I agree. Although if it was black it wouldn't stick out so much, maybe.

@gernby I was always curious if moving the megaphone closer to the stock cat location would shift the power band higher?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 AM

Most people cut the bumper around the velocity stack, but I think this would work just as well and looks much better IMO. Hellafunctional look to me, which will never say rice.

Quick Reply: New Intake prototype