S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Newbie need suggestion (my dyno was too low)

Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie need suggestion (my dyno was too low)

Hi everyone,

My name is Ark. I am kinda newbie here.

I just put my 06 AP2 on dyno today and found out that the number was extremely too low!!! Please see the dyno chart below.

And here is my currently mod list :
- K&N FIPK
- SOS AP2 74mm TB
- PLM's header (header outlet = 63 mm)
- Berk 70mm HFC
- Spoon N1 Dual Ext (65mm inlet -> 70mm -> 2 x 60 mm --> Tail pipe)
- Greddy EMU tuned

My car is 06 AP2 with only 17,000 miles on it. I ran with 0W-50 Motul engine oil.

Tuning condition : Temperature @ 96-98 degF, Humidity @ 22-23%

And here is my dyno chart :

As shown above, the pre-tuned is only 204hp (I really expect to see this number as a stock number) with everything listed above except the Berk 70mm HFC and no tuned!!!!

The first couple trials (Before the HFC installed), the best number was 207-208hp with different AFR. My tuner really had no idea why the number become too low.

After that, we manage to install the 70mm HFC. I gain 3 hp more right after the installation and another 1 more hp after a couple tuning with different AFR. That made the maximum of 212hp as shown on the run#15 with AFR about 13.0 (if I remember it correctly).

After all, I was totally disappointing with the number, I got. I really expect to get somewhere around 220-230hp out of those mod.

So, I really kinda wondering what's wrong with my car!!!

There are two things, that I really kinda figure out now which either is that because of the Spoon N1 ext which a lot of people said it caused in loss of power or is that because of the leaking at my K&N FIPK since I did not drill the hole for my air temp sensor but I put it in another hole they providing. BTW the worse case scenario will be the other thing such as loss of compression, etc.!!!!

My friends told me this could be because of the temperature condition. But personally, I would believe that the effect from the temperature and humidity would have at the maximum of 10hp except you have a tune up in AK!!!!

Any suggestion for any of you would be very appreciated

Thanks,

Ark
Old 07-14-2010, 11:39 PM

Well first thing is first, dont get caught up with the numbers... I was in the same boat. With FIPK, FF header, 70mm test pipe and invidia q300 tuned on greddy emanage blue i got 210 to the wheels. It honestly felt kind of shitty because no power before vtec and then its like ooo there it is... I got a fujita intake now and a mugen exhaust and like it soooo much better than before. What im trying to say is go for the feel not for a number, in the end what does it represent to you? Bragging rights? You used a dynojet, people mostly use dynapack on s2ks, so it might read lower... Just a suggestion I guess.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:42 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if you use a 0-30 oil you'd pick up some power, 50 wt is too heavy and will suck up some power.

that being said, your numbers arent bad at all.

has anyone ever dyno'd a completely stock S on that particular dyno? If so, what did they make.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet a stock S would make 190-195 on that dyno
I wouldn't worry about the numbers too much the gains are good

I think 70mm or larger piping all the way is gonna help and having a testpipe instead of a HFC but I don't think you'd make more than another 5HP

maybe a true standalone instead of fuel controller
Old 07-15-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1, for wrong oil.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by 9kred,Jul 14 2010, 11:39 PM
dont get caught up with the numbers...
this.

every dyno reads differently. I agree with everyone else though, change your oil...
Old 07-15-2010, 09:38 AM

Oops!!! Just realise that I had a lot of typo...

The oil, i used, is 0w-20 not 50

has anyone ever dyno'd a completely stock S on that particular dyno? If so, what did they make.
According to Rdizzle's posted :
IMGDyno Results-K&N FIPK, Skunk2 Exhaust, Hondata IMG
He got 206hp from the stock 07 AP2 on the Dynojet with temperature @ 67 degF and
humidity = 58%
And I found a couple of Dyno charts from the other member showing 200hp+ on the stock 06+ AP2 on Dynojet with different weather condition as well.

BTW, zillion thanks to everyone for suggestion

I may now have to wake up from the dreams and stay with the truth of this 212hp number now
Old 07-15-2010, 12:15 PM

It's just a number. Don't sweat it. My old Civic put down 157whp and I was beating cars that were making 170+whp. It's not all about peak numbers.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine stock when i started was 182@ the wheels. now with
cai with k&n
big bore tb from sos
lite flywheel
ur pulleys
vafc with tune to 13afr vtech &5500rpm.
these modds gave me 210whp. all this was done on the same dyno to keep it accurate, dyno-dynamics.

your numbers don't sound bad. it would seem to me you would want your exhaust dimensions to be the same from the header back to create smoother flow. good luck with your quest for more.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks about right to me... Dynos are tuning tools not meant to compare numbers wouldn't even worry worry about those numbers...

Quick Reply: Newbie need suggestion (my dyno was too low)