S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Review: Berk Technology 3" Single Headerback Exhaust

Old 05-18-2012, 04:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelfire
i was reading the berk exhaust review and the OP mentioned that to run a headerback its not safe to run lean (i suppose its not safe to run lean on any exhaust/engine combo) but this left a question in my mind, can i run this exhaust safely if its my only mod to the car until now, i dont have an ECU. will this lead to some potential damage in the future removing the stock exhaust/cat and replacing it with this exhaust? i know he mentioned he has a CR, mine is a MY04. any help would be greatly appreciated since i am about to take the plunge and order one of these bad boys.
You won't have many issues. MY2006+ with DBW run lean straight from the factory. I have dyno graphs to verify this finding.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by takchi
Originally Posted by Angelfire' timestamp='1337281124' post='21707409
i was reading the berk exhaust review and the OP mentioned that to run a headerback its not safe to run lean (i suppose its not safe to run lean on any exhaust/engine combo) but this left a question in my mind, can i run this exhaust safely if its my only mod to the car until now, i dont have an ECU. will this lead to some potential damage in the future removing the stock exhaust/cat and replacing it with this exhaust? i know he mentioned he has a CR, mine is a MY04. any help would be greatly appreciated since i am about to take the plunge and order one of these bad boys.
You won't have many issues. MY2006+ with DBW run lean straight from the factory. I have dyno graphs to verify this finding.
Ok good to know, i know the OP was talking about his CR running lean like most other CR's but i just wanted to clarify. cant wait to install it!! i feel like im 12 and its X-mas all over again waiting for it to come in lol.

also do you have any idea why honda decided to do this from 06 beyond? kinda sparked an interest in me to know why
Old 05-20-2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Angelfire
Originally Posted by takchi' timestamp='1337387526' post='21711332
[quote name='Angelfire' timestamp='1337281124' post='21707409']
Ok good to know, i know the OP was talking about his CR running lean like most other CR's but i just wanted to clarify. cant wait to install it!! i feel like im 12 and its X-mas all over again waiting for it to come in lol.

also do you have any idea why honda decided to do this from 06 beyond? kinda sparked an interest in me to know why
[/quote]
06+ S2000s make a little more power than the other years. Big indicator is the larger throttle body. Maybe the tune stayed the same, but since the engine is getting more air, it's probably running slightly lean from the factory. Add in a testpipe, HFC, and/or exhaust and it's suddenly in the dangerously lean position. Other than that, if you're just doing highway pulls, you should be okay. Track guys bounce off the revlimiter or at WOT for 20-30 minutes straight so it's a little more dangerous if the engine runs lean.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:57 PM

The s2000 like all modern Honda's has a knock sensor so running slightly lean is not going to be an issue - Use 91 shell with your exhaust and it will be fine without a retune. Also I am not sure which mods the other poster was refering to but when I had my skunk2 header, kn intake and 2.5 inch single before tune it ran rich before tuning not lean. Up to 11:1 in some places.

As far as the noise from the Berk - its a 3inch single with a typical packed muffler they get louder over time or during long hauls. I suggest adding a pre muffler or resonator and it will be much better. Berk will also add one to there exhausts at the time of purchase.

Vibrant makes them in t304 polished stainless for 70 bux online

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vibrant-Perf...8161%26ps%3D54
Old 05-20-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
Originally Posted by s2000ellier' timestamp='1323136222' post='21213612
Me autocrossing with my berk 3"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rxoVbhRRd4
Nick did I ever tell you youre the rason why I even got the berk
Justin,

You made a good choice
Old 05-20-2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Duke Togo
The s2000 like all modern Honda's has a knock sensor so running slightly lean is not going to be an issue - Use 91 shell with your exhaust and it will be fine without a retune. Also I am not sure which mods the other poster was refering to but when I had my skunk2 header, kn intake and 2.5 inch single before tune it ran rich before tuning not lean. Up to 11:1 in some places.

As far as the noise from the Berk - its a 3inch single with a typical packed muffler they get louder over time or during long hauls. I suggest adding a pre muffler or resonator and it will be much better. Berk will also add one to there exhausts at the time of purchase.

Muffler is a straight through with no packing.

Knocking isn't going to be an issue with the exception of your engine pulling timing pretty often. AP1s generally run rich. I'm not familiar with the 04-05 AP2s, but I don't think they'll have much of an issue. My AFR hit 14.2:1 at one point and held a consistent 13.5:1 throughout most of the RPM range before hitting 13:1 at redline on stock exhaust.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:43 PM

Read the first post and love the review. I may be leaning toward purchasing this exhaust. Since I have a 07 if I go I/h/e I will be running dangerously lean? So I would have to get a reflash when I do all this?
Old 05-20-2012, 04:58 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke Togo

The Vibrant also has "surrounded by our premium sound absorption materials" so it will also burn out and get louder over time.
This one won't get louder because there is no packing to burn out
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=35054
It's a race muffler so it only takes about 4 to 6 db's off of the loudness of the exhaust but that was good enough for my other car to make it livable on the road.

ROD
Old 05-20-2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kamui_S2K
Read the first post and love the review. I may be leaning toward purchasing this exhaust. Since I have a 07 if I go I/h/e I will be running dangerously lean? So I would have to get a reflash when I do all this?
I recommend Flashpro to get everything dialed in correctly. I don't know how good the flash is, but since you're already spending the money, you might as well get it done right. You want to have a AFR around 12.7-13:1. Other than that, I'm not much of a guru for ECU tuning.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by takchi
Muffler is a straight through with no packing.
*Dual layered muffler packing to eliminate unwanted resonance Stainless steel wool & high density glass packing for maximum sound control *Straight through perforated muffler core *
Unfortunately even stainless steel wool deteriorates - so does glass packing. Mufflers no matter how good are a wear item. I wish Corsa sold a 3inch muffler but they won't sell them separate since there design is also straight through but uses reflective noise cancelling instead of packing.

As far as moroso goes I used to sell sebring mufflers 13 years ago and all of the tuners would tell me that the spin flow was a gimmick and didn't work (sounded cool though) they never caught on so I would assume its a bad idea.

It's fairly easy to replace mufflers and responators over time so I would just consider it a maintenance issue - I've also used the coast fab/burns mufflers that are repackable and they were shxt IMO

Quick Reply: Review: Berk Technology 3" Single Headerback Exhaust