S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Venturing above 9k

Old 10-07-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Venturing above 9k

Alright guys, ive been doing a lot of thinking about revs and gearing. The problem with 4.77s is that you run outa revs too quickly for too low of a mph in each gear. So what if you could have that acceleration past 9k and more? Of course a lot of this plays into head work but as much as I read in the old N/A thread, the bottem end cannot handle this.

So how could we accomplish this? I have a spare block that I want to build but i havnt decided if I want a high displacement stroker or would it be more effective to build the block to rev out as far as Jenna Jamison's boobs stick out
Old 10-08-2008, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lighter pistons, Carrillo pro-A rods, externally balanced engine, knife edged and micro polished crank are a start for the bottom end

The bottom end can probably take the beating, and yes I've already read about the piston speed debate and all that jazz but, IMHO it's the weight of the valve train that make the higher rpms so unstable. If one were looking to rev higher and not have to rebuild after every race or two then I would look into removing the VTEC and go with a conventional single profile cam and rocker design instead of our 3 piece rockers, but your idle and low end will go down the drain.

O yea, I also forgot to mention that you'll need a killer cam design unless you just want to rev high and are not worried about continuing to make power.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by S2Kage,Oct 7 2008, 10:11 PM
Alright guys, ive been doing a lot of thinking about revs and gearing. The problem with 4.77s is that you run outa revs too quickly for too low of a mph in each gear.
that's, uh, the tradeoff for going with 4.77's..........get through each gear quicker but the mph is less. You're not going to get much more mph out of an additional 500rpm with 4.77s.

IMO I'd go with less aggressive gears if that's your concern, and try to find power elsewhere to make up for it.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:01 AM

yeah you could go to 4.56,

but yeah you have to have everything balanced amazingly and probably get new sleeves obviously upgraded springs and retainers and coated valves wont hurt, then cryo everything
Old 10-08-2008, 06:11 AM

Why rev higher if you can't make power up there? You're technically DECELERATING after your power curve peaks.

My old car actually had a trick setup in the tranny to offer a very high FD ratio without sacrificing highway cruising. It had two final drives -- one for 1-4 (acceleration) the other for 5-6 (for cruising). I could really pull away quickly, but the revs stayed nice and low on the highway.

This adds weight and complexity, but balances out the idea of acceleration versus top speed.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:18 AM

that would be a pretty sweet setup, twin FD's, considering the s2k cruises at 80mph and like 4500rpm, haha.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:32 AM

4.44 FTW
Old 10-08-2008, 07:50 AM

Yeah you won't be making power up there. Although it would be good for those times that your on a course right at 9000 and don't want to shift.

A centrifugal supercharger will go awesome with a higher redline since it will produce more power the faster you spin, but this is the NA forum
Old 10-08-2008, 07:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Key element here would be the weight of the component in the engine. You would want to go as light as possible. Also doesn't matter what kind of motor build you have....you won't make any kind of power beyond 9K without some custom cams.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm interesting.

Quick Reply: Venturing above 9k