S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2012 Speed Ventures S2K Challenge Series FINALE results

Old 12-01-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2012 Speed Ventures S2K Challenge Series FINALE results

Schooled by Ringer yet again!

Why is my car so loose?

Writeup by Dipstick

Hi Everyone!

The Finale of the 2012 Speed Ventures S2K Challenge was held at the Streets of Willowsprings (CCW) in Rosamond, CA on Saturday, December 1, 2012.

Temps remained cool in the mid-60's all day with clear skies and a brisk breeze.

While STREET and MODIFIED Championships were already clinched, two classes remained up for grabs at the finale : STOCK and SUPER MODIFIED.

In STOCK, Albert Castro and Ryan Delgrosso were neck-in-neck going in with Albert holding a slim lead with 54 points to Ryan's 51 points.

Chris Johnson was also still in the game with 48 points and was a possible spoiler...but, as the first session started, Chris was not to be found. Mixing it up with Albert and Ryan would be Victor Huang whose last S2K Challenge event was SOWS in May where he claimed the top spot...

During Green 2, Albert ran a 1:32.433 in the 12th lap of the session but Victor was quick out of the box with a 1:30.087. Ryan ran in Black, clocking a 1:30.674 in lap 2.

Victor's time would remain tops all day earning him P1 fastest time in STOCK…Congratulations Victor!

Ryan came in second place giving him 8 more points for a total of 59.
However, Albert's 3rd place finish would give him 6 points for finale total of 60.

For the season, our STOCK CLASS Champion is Albert Castro followed by Ryan Delgrosso in 2nd and Chris Johnson in 3rd!

We discovered later that Chris had a back injury and couldn't endure tracking that day.
Despite the difficulty, Chris was able to join us for the awards ceremony and dinner.

Congratulations STOCK Class Drivers!

In SUPER MODIFIED, David Lara was still within striking distance of Alex Peng who held a slim 4 point lead with 40 points to David's 36. In order to remain in the class, Alex had to run wingless which made for some interesting passes through the skidpad. He was still able to run a 1:26.428 in Red 3.

While Dave was about a half second off of Alex's time, he was consistent and continued to shave off hundreths in Red 3, running a 1:27.005. With nothing to lose, Dave decided to run the Do-or-Die session at the end of the day where you forfeit your earlier times to run a low-car-count session with less traffic.

Coming down the front straight, past the start-finish and into the braking zone, David stepped on his brake pedal and got…nothing! He was able to wrestle the car to a stop at the end of the skid pad. Afterwards, he found he had completely snapped a rotor in two!

Congratulations to our 2012 SUPER MODIFIED champion, Alex Peng!

In MODIFIED, Chris Elders ran a perfect 1:24.033 lap in the 1st lap of Red 2. Dustin Dessero was also tearing it up with a 1:25.013 in lap 3 of Red 2. Mike Tsay's 1:25.114 in Red 2 was not enough so he also ran the D-o-D session at the end of the day, clocking a 1:25.095, good for 3rd. Chris took P1 and Dustin P2 in Modified for the day's event

For the MODIFIED Championship, Dustin finished with 40 points for 3rd, Chris with 64 points for 2nd, and Mike with 74 points for 1st.

Congratulations MODIFIED drivers!

Going into this event, Jeff Ringer held a decisive lead in STREET Class with 68 points followed by Mike Kang 54 points and Joe Jafry with 26 points.

While MODIFIED and STOCK guys ran their fastest times in Red 2, the STREET drivers seemed to have their best laps in Red 3.

Joe Jafry ran a 1:27.401 in lap 6 of Red 3 for 3rd place
Mike Kang ran a 1:25.890 in Lap 4 of Red 3 for 2nd place.
Jeff Ringer ran a 1:25.257 in Lap 3 of Red 3 for an amazing seventh P1 finish of the season!

For the STREET class Championship, Jeff Ringer finished in 1st Place with 78 points followed by Mike Kang (62 points) and Joe Jafry (32 points).

Congratulations STREET Class drivers!!

After the awards ceremony, we met for our annual driver's dinner at the Yard House in Palmdale.

While there was plenty of drink and chatter, we spent a great deal of the evening pondering how to make it better, more accessible, more competitive, and even more exciting.
Thanks to all the competitors, participants, and supporters for a great season.
Special thanks to Aaron and the Speedventures crew for hosting the Challenge!

Join us as we inaugurate the 2013 Speed Ventures S2K Challenge at Buttonwillow Raceway Park on January 26, 2013!

Mike (Dipstick)

Check for the latest rules and event schedule here:
https://www.s2ki.com/...hallenge-rules/
http://svc.speedvent...ents&series=336

Check for updates on the 1st event (BW 1/26) here:
https://www.s2ki.com/...uary-26th-2013/

http://www.speedvent...ail.aspx?id=414
Old 12-02-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

So heres my take:

It was a fantastic day. Despite some early morning slipperiness the weather was wonderful and the track not overly crowded. I had managed to get my S2K with a freshly rebuilt head up there at the last minute and found I had to re-learn how to drive it since I had un-knowningly been driving the motor all year with low compression due to 4 bent valves.

In session 2 I managed to run my new personal best at SOW CCW of 1:30.6 which was good enough for 2nd just behind Victor, and ahead of Albert, but not quite fast enough to get me the 2 spots I needed over Albert to take the series overall.

Sadly pulling back into the pits after that session I discovered a loud ticking from a rear wheel bearing so I had to stand on my session 2 time for the rest of the day, which held for 2nd place.

Overall a great end to a fantastic season. Really looking forward to what next season holds.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:54 AM

I'm starting to wonder if my driving is what makes the car loose, or if my car is somehow fundamentally different which makes my car loose. I had a set of SRCs for this event, and my car would oversteer under steady state WOT cornering, on the right hander after the bowl. No other s2k I've driven does this on that turn unless they're on REALLY old or less sticky tires.

Thoughts? Is the CR chassis somehow different or did my "flying off the bowl" (when I had first started driving) experience somehow possibly damage my car?

No matter what I do, my car has always been loose. While I appreciate that it has brought me to the state I'm in now (not letting oversteer scare me), it frustrates me when I can't piece together a "perfect" lap because the slightest correction is enough to cost me a few tenths, and thus, the lap.

I've been constantly altering my driving, and especially so after getting the BRZ, as the BRZ doesn't respond to quick inputs the way the S2k does; the car requires being eased into corners (slower, smooth inputs) to achieve maximum cornering speed.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why's everyone so quiet? I want to hear what happened!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
I've been constantly altering my driving, and especially so after getting the BRZ, as the BRZ doesn't respond to quick inputs the way the S2k does; the car requires being eased into corners (slower, smooth inputs) to achieve maximum cornering speed.
OT... Curious, why are your inputs different between the s2k & BRZ? I'd figure it should be slow/smooth inputs with the s2k as well.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 PM

You can manhandle a s2k and the front will always respond, especially with square tires...
Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian, missed you out there!
Ryan...4 bent valves all season?
Wonder if that might have made a difference in all the previous events...regardless, congrats and well done.

I got out-driven by Chris and Dustin all day, tried the Do-or-Die (and ran my FTD) but still died hard. Will need to re-build the brakes for sure and ditch the 7 day old tires for new RS3's...

Working on the write-up, should be done Thursday....
Old 12-03-2012, 06:28 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Thoughts? Is the CR chassis somehow different or did my "flying off the bowl" (when I had first started driving) experience somehow possibly damage my car?
I hate to just quote a spec here but the CR does have that rear chassis brace. I don't remember the exact number that was published by Honda but that brace greatly increased the rigidity of the rear of the car. Now if you are comparing your car to a car with a Hard dog or similar rear roll bar then this is probably a moot point. Or are you comparing your car to other CR's as well?

The rear of the CR does feel much stiffer and taut then a non CR...to me at least and on the street. Might not mean much to a track junkie such as yourself.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm not surprised the car is loose. I think if you had a larger wing on the trunk the car would feel a lot more balanced. I know you went to a squared tire setup but did you do a stiffer front sway bar or stagger the spring rates a little?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adrs2k
Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1354478084' post='22185183

I hate to just quote a spec here but the CR does have that rear chassis brace. I don't remember the exact number that was published by Honda but that brace greatly increased the rigidity of the rear of the car. Now if you are comparing your car to a car with a Hard dog or similar rear roll bar then this is probably a moot point. Or are you comparing your car to other CR's as well?

The rear of the CR does feel much stiffer and taut then a non CR...to me at least and on the street. Might not mean much to a track junkie such as yourself.
Do you truly believe that you could tell a difference if you drove it around with it disconnected? Especially on the street? The chassis on these cars are incredibly ridged, especially for a convertible. This is why the vast majority of track guys don't really run additional bracing. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't think that a single chassis brace has any real impact on handling characteristics, it just tightens the chassis.

Psychoazn, has your car always been lose like that? I know you were having issues with it before, did those ever get solved? The chassis between an AP1, AP2, and CR are all the exact same. The CR has the additional brace, but that brace that goes between the rear shock towers is pretty beefy, so I can't imagine a brace where the softtop is makes a massive difference.

Quick Reply: 2012 Speed Ventures S2K Challenge Series FINALE results