S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another S2K race car project

Old 07-13-2012, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know we just met and this is crazy,
but when you guys are done with car..
sell it to ghostsnake maybe?

subscribed
Old 07-13-2012, 09:56 AM

How much for a copy of that CAD model?
Old 07-13-2012, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by ghostsnake View Post
i know we just met and this is crazy,
but when you guys are done with car..
sell it to ghostsnake maybe?

subscribed
Sorry for my English but I didn't really understood (no offence). What exactly do you mean?

Thanks
Ted
Old 07-13-2012, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by nmrado View Post
How much for a copy of that CAD model?

To give an idea it costed 1500$ to scan the car. But we can talk about it if you want to share some of expences. This is stl file made from points cloud. To open it, includ it in assembly, add parts etc I would suggest Catia, ProE or UG, "lighter" cad like solidworks for example would not cope with it.

Thanks
Ted
Old 07-13-2012, 03:40 PM

Let’s take a look what suspension of this particular car as I received it might have worked. Might have because I don’t have track data from this car (it was never logged) so actual amount of wheel travel would be different . This doesn’t matter actually because we take some generic cornering sequence and look at general characteristics. Zero Position/Full braking/Reducing braking – turning in/steady cornering/reducing cornering – increasing power/ would be cornering phases we look at.

S2000 (standard with unknown mods) front suspension at 60mm ride height.

Phase 1. I’d say that IC’s 170mm below ground is way too much for my liking.

Phase 2. We can see lots of camber gain. A bit too much for my liking as this may lead to car requiring wide dynamic corridor under braking i.e. front end may be twitchy under brakes (particularly if its bumpy) and it might be hard to position the car precisely for turn in. This is due to camber thrust.

Also some 0.34 deg (each wheel) of toe out at -25mm ride height. This car might have really nervous front end under braking…

Scrub change (3.7mm) doesn’t bother too much as long as stints are short and there’s no issue with tire wear. IC change (18mm) not dramatic.

This car has JS steering rack shims and some mods on upright … I suspect that standard s2000 has less bumb steer. Tuning bits should be used with care…

Let’s see what it does at turn in:
Old 07-13-2012, 03:58 PM

full cornering:

roll on power

full power

Old 07-13-2012, 04:13 PM

It’s actually not too dramatic. IC’s are relatively quiet. We have to remember that suspension was designed for vastly higher ride height and for street use and there where some aftermarket changes added. So it would be too much to ask it to work perfectly at race ride height.

Also a bit too much anti dive for the start.

All together (with other things indicated earlier) lots of things to think about.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:47 PM

While looking/learning the car as is. I was looking for build threads around this forum.
Andrew’s turbo build and Driving Ambiton are really inspiring and educating. I checked out Opera build article and recently found Hel Performance UK build – another jam! Picking up ideas where ever I see something good. I have to say that as engineer I’m not an innovator. I pickup tried and proved ideas from race cars starting with F1, LMP and ending WTCC/BTCC cars. Packaging is the name of the game – one has to package all the required bits and functions within given space and rulebook.

Back to the car. Rear subframe is giving me headaches – it’s so bulky. There’s no way to package a healthy rear diffuser. One wants to get the start of the diffuser (which might end being just rearwards of center of pressure of entire car) in front of or at list in line with forward face of rear wheels. Standard subframe would not allow to do that while having some working AoA in the diffuser.

Another thing to think about.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:07 PM

Design work started with evaluating what underbody aero is possible to package. It looked from the start that S2000 is actually best street car in terms to be suited for healthy front diffuser/splitter system that I’ve seen so far.
Packaging middle part of flat bottom doesn’t seem to be too much of a problem

So front splitter diffuser was designed. Splitter is separate part from diffuser - at the start of development cycle we’ll just use wood board for splitter – in 3 different distance of extention forward to find which gives best results. Than we switch material to some inexpensive sandwich panel. F diffuser itself to be made of vacuum bagged carbon fiber sandwich with airex core – giving a stiff, strong and light structure.

Added rear diffuser and middle floor with some cooling ducts. As can be seen rear subframe doesn’t allow to move start of diffuser forward enough and AoA is too shallow.

Felt happy with front and middle but s2000 rear end remained under question mark. Also it was obvious that beautiful JS titanium exhaust just doesn't fit
Old 07-13-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very informative thread

Quick Reply: Another S2K race car project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands