S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Any feedback yet on the new KW Clubsport?

Old 08-05-2008, 03:55 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Kind of hard to give you that bad advise without knowing what your dampers were set at. Cmon you're better than that. Might as well also throw in there your tire pressures were "low".

I can barely remember yesterday, but knowing your bump and rebound settings is kind of necessary, and tire size and model wouldn't hurt either. Or I could jump the gun and give you tons of recommendations right off the bat without knowing anything about you or your setup -just like everyone else does... So its up to you, what would you like?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 04-05 sway bars are pretty soft...
Old 08-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billj747,Aug 5 2008, 04:55 PM
Kind of hard to give you that bad advise without knowing what your dampers were set at. Cmon you're better than that. Might as well also throw in there your tire pressures were "low".

I can barely remember yesterday, but knowing your bump and rebound settings is kind of necessary, and tire size and model wouldn't hurt either. Or I could jump the gun and give you tons of recommendations right off the bat without knowing anything about you or your setup -just like everyone else does... So its up to you, what would you like?
good answer

i have no idea what it all was
Old 08-05-2008, 05:36 PM

My buddy took off his comptech swaybar and reinstalled his stock bar... said the car rolled ALOT more on KWs...

I have the Gendron bar, and my car doesnt roll much at all

Ive driven over the curbs at VIR up the esses at 115 without upsetting the car.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I currently am running the SRCs but I have not been able to use them to their full potential since I've been stuck with OEM 16" wheels for some time now Loading the springs seams to be the biggest problem for me. However I plan to run them through the paces with some sticky Hankooks this weekend so we'll see

This thread has popped up just in time!
I've been talking to a friend of mine who does have the KW CS and he is willing to let me borrow them, and test em out sometime in the near future. I don't think that I'm qualified to give a technical opinion / review of the two or able to maximize the suspension settings but "feel" goes a long way in building confidence.

I'll let you guys know what I think about the two once they've been on the same car and at the same track.

I have a feeling that Billy know what he is talking about As I am kinda new to tracking and suspension tuning I've been doing dome reading and looking towards KWs philosophy, but then again who knows...only time will tell if I prefer one over the other.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:38 PM

I hate generalizations and umbrella statements as they are more often than not incorrect, lead to confusion (I mixed up KW and Moton damping adjustments in a recent post), and outright are often flawed.

With that being said (and I firmly believe that) I'm going to make a generalization which should be taken with a grain of salt.

KW V3s have great damping characteristics and the majority of the uncomfortable excessive roll can be attributed to lack of initial/lowspeed damping. This makes a car take a set quickly (and if you have soft springs-alot of roll) this can lead to a 'floaty' and unsettled feeling. As you add damping to the V3s you give the car much more stability, it takes longer to take a set, many more benefits that all lead to a more comfortable and stable characteristics. So you can add damping (comp and rebound) to control and slow the roll for a more stable confidence inspiring ride.

V3s work very well with slightly stiffer than stock swaybars on everything from S2K, BMWs, 350Zs, EVOs, and more -from first hand experience. Swaybars add springrate when cornering thus reducing roll. I think the amount of roll on the V3s is acceptable with R-comps, but if you are at a point in your driving career to push the limits of your equipment, pairing the V3s with a stiffer swaybars is a winning combination.

But if you are more track-oriented and are looking for KW performance (valving and spring rates) that are shifted slightly more towards the track-enthusiast, KW has made their Clubsport dampers for a person like you. While being stiffer, Clubsports aren't oversprung like the SRC and have a very good springrate-damping match.

Now this info will not turn you from a zero to a hero nor will the generalizations in regards to adjusting the damping be the guide for you to figure out your dampers. Dampers are much more dynamic and complicated to be understood or to get too much advice on the right setup over a forum. Like I replied to alejo, many questions (more than I asked) need to be asked to even put a problem into perspective, let alone to figure it out. Theirs a reason why professional race teams, drivers, and engineers spend so much money in the suspension department to 'figure it out' or to get a competitive advantage. Their are people like myself who do this for a living and can lend a hand to point you in the right direction (the best that can be done over the internet -which is not always the best place to get this information from) all the way to private driver instruction and chassis setup consultation. Feel free to pm myself or s2kretard (who has been my race engineer for many of the cars I drive from time attack competitions up to professional Grand-Am race cars) for any advice.

-Billy
Old 08-05-2008, 10:42 PM

Well said, you just sold me on the KW CS.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by nsxtasi,Aug 6 2008, 02:42 AM
Well said, you just sold me on the KW CS.
For a thousand more you can get the Moton Club Sports...
Old 08-06-2008, 04:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3312DC,Aug 4 2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks Pete... any suggestion on where to buy??
umm.. Ground Control?

They ain't cheap.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by 3312DC,Aug 6 2008, 01:49 AM
For a thousand more you can get the Moton Club Sports...
Motons are fantastic dampers, but KW's goal is to better their racing dampers, not just the club sports.

Don't get me wrong, you can't go wrong with either. They have slightly different philosophies in damping, I like how you can adjust canister pressure on the motons, but they only have adjustable highspeed compression and rebound compared to KW's lowspeed compression and rebound.

Motons are great, a few magazine articles have rated the KW higher than the Moton, KW is out there to deliver better products, and they also happen to cost a little less.

-Just feedback from driving on, and working with both on a daily basis. If you have Motons, you should be stoaked and really pleased with owning one of the best dampers on the market.

But if you have Moton, JRZ, KW, -those are by far the best options out there for the S2K, especially over anything from Asia. If you don't have any of these 3, you should look into what makes the most sense for you. KW might be a less expensive and better alternative...

Quick Reply: Any feedback yet on the new KW Clubsport?