S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Any Professional Racers or Semi-Pro Racers?

Old 11-21-2006, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Professional Racers or Semi-Pro Racers?

Well, hopefully if you're reading this post you have some usefull, helpfull, or friendly advice or insight you can bestow upon me. I am an aspiring racer...I have the natural skill, 2001 S2K, some balls, limited track time(8 events), and an obsession with designing/modifying/building/racing road race vehicles. I also have a possible sponsor to get me into national and international events. More specifically CART and Toyota Atlantic series'. However, the one thing I'm lacking is the "official on track" experience and offical racing licenses. I don't have money pouring out my ass so funds are a bit of a concern (being a college student is great except when it comes to monetary funds)...
Here's where your help would be applicable. I have researched a bunch of different racing schools in the US and England. Some of them such as the Bondurant School seem very reputable, yet somewhat expensive. And then there are others which seem to be promising as well for under a grand. I would LOVE to here about or get feedback on how some of you got your "break." Or perhaps how you became noticed amidst the sea of aspiring racers out there. I am dead serious about this choice to be a driver and am willing to put everything in my life on hold except school for this career. So please, if you have any helpfull insight what so ever, voice it!
Thank you once again!
-Jonathan B.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:58 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Become a national Karting Champion, get a ride in a formula car like F-Mazda, win the national championship, get a ride in an F-Atlantic car, win the championship twice, get a ride in a CHAMP car.

Or you could do like most people and get a sponsor who will pay for you to rent a car from a team for the season.

Good luck with that.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:10 AM

Wow with 8 events under your belt that person is really rolling the dice.

I would also suggest karting, it is really a great way to learn properly and also provides a great deal more potential than other avenues.

I screwed around with SCCA when I really should have been focusing on more promising paths, learn from my mistakes.

Good luck,
Scott
Old 11-21-2006, 06:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Figure out a way to make a lot of money so you can buy your way into events. That seems to do the trick.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:08 AM

Like I said I don't have the most official experience but the last three times I went out to Buttonwillow, Streets of Willow, and Willow Springs Int., and EVERY time I was able to move from the amatuer class into the pro class with a bone stock S2K with BFG KDW tires....I'm a humble person I don't like to brag but I have the potential....I just need a venue through which i can display it.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you for real?

If you stay in school and study real hard someday you'll get to drive one of these:

instead of just ride in one.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jon3501447,Nov 21 2006, 11:08 AM
Like I said I don't have the most official experience but the last three times I went out to Buttonwillow, Streets of Willow, and Willow Springs Int., and EVERY time I was able to move from the amatuer class into the pro class with a bone stock S2K with BFG KDW tires....I'm a humble person I don't like to brag but I have the potential....I just need a venue through which i can display it.
Do you hear what people are saying? Almost every driver in the world buys their way into racing. If you don't have the money to do so, you need to go out and find somebody who does have the money and is willing to back you.

Here's a copule of books on the subject: Drive To Win (Smith) and Speed Secrets 2 (Bentley).
Old 11-21-2006, 10:36 AM

WOW some of you people really sound like PRICKS...."Are you For real" "Do you here what people are saying?" Read the first post moron. I said I have a SPONSOR. The guy supplies 8 CART teams and 12 INDY league teams with their telemarty units....I'm trying to get some objective insight here not, not shoddy wit from an ars.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Nov 21 2006, 11:24 AM
Do you hear what people are saying? Almost every driver in the world buys their way into racing. If you don't have the money to do so, you need to go out and find somebody who does have the money and is willing to back you.

Here's a copule of books on the subject: Drive To Win (Smith) and Speed Secrets 2 (Bentley).

Great article on this very subject in this month's Grassroots Motorsports. I strongly suggest you pick up a copy. Really. Do it now.

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/ if you don't know where to find it in your area.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:37 AM

Go to an autocross, judge how well you did knowing that your car is a very capable autocross car, reconsider your opinion on your driving skill. If you're not leading (excluding the cars on Rs), unfortunately you're not that fast.

Everyone thinks they're fast when they get started, I don't mean to cut you down, but 8 track days is not enough to judge your skill.

Quick Reply: Any Professional Racers or Semi-Pro Racers?