S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

AutoX in 2 weeks, Specific Set-Up Changes to improve times?

Old 09-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Unfortunately, there is no inexpensive FSB available that is good for autocross. When I was running my car in B Stock I had two different Gendron bars. Pricey, but I got better than 75% of my investment back when I sold them. Now that I'm running my car again I'm kicking myself for selling them. Just picked up a Saner bar off Ebay for $100 last week. Spent another $100 on parts to upgrade the end links.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^ Agree. Whenever I wind up selling parts I don't think I'm going to need again... I need them again. Now I just hoard parts, my wife loves that... Seriously every nook and cranny of our storage is filled with random car parts.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit
^^^ Agree. Whenever I wind up selling parts I don't think I'm going to need again... I need them again. Now I just hoard parts, my wife loves that... Seriously every nook and cranny of our storage is filled with random car parts.
is this whats to become of me?! this is starting to happen to me already and i just started my basement has a section dedicated just for car parts and maintenance items. im lucky my wife supports my addiction.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iamxpL
holy hell i wasnt even a thought in my parents minds yet. tell me the truth he started Autocross didnt he?
No but I knew God when he was a child...

Actually, I started in a Chevy Vega panel wagon and then switched to Fiats.

/OT
Old 09-11-2013, 04:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbird0007
I should rephrase. I'm improving by 2-3 seconds from my first, learning-the-course run, to my final run. Usually the second half of the day (4-5 runs) are all within a few tenths of a second.

I've tried co-drivers many times, I usually ask this guy MR who almost always gets FTD, he rode along in my car and had no input other than I had great car control and to just "be smooth and go faster" (he drives a NC MX5 and is ridiculously fast)

The first run should be nearly as fast as the last. It usually works that way although I've gone slower on all my runs AFTER the first. The simply shouldn't be that much difference. That doesn't mean you're slow, just that you need to attack on EACH run. The "first, learning-the-course run" should be what walking the course provides. Since National events are only 3 runs, you need to treat each one as the winner.

As for having a rider, you seem to be reasonably sane. Now it's time for the NC driver to take a couple of runs with your car, as suggested above. It can be truly eye-opening!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153082553960161
Old 09-11-2013, 04:22 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by jguerdat
Originally Posted by iamxpL' timestamp='1378829462' post='22770988
holy hell i wasnt even a thought in my parents minds yet. tell me the truth he started Autocross didnt he?
No but I knew God when he was a child...

Actually, I started in a Chevy Vega panel wagon and then switched to Fiats.

/OT
thats pretty bad ass. sorry OP for OT.

to get back on topic, id like to see what you end up going with. i know i saw a few sway bars for sale on the R&C forum.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:14 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jguerdat
The first run should be nearly as fast as the last.
True. At the last event we had 8 runs. My spread from the 1st to the last was less than 1/2 second. (If you don't count the cones I hit! )
Old 09-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Community Organizer

wow i have a lot of driving to learn. im in the same boat as the OP, i have 1-3 secs difference from the first to last run. i just dont know how fast i can take certain turns yet.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Totally agree that the best drivers can put down consistent times first to last (with caveats of tire heat, gritty courses in AM, changing ambient temps).

Will also say that I have seen mediocre drivers put down three consistent runs that were way off the pace because of a systematic error (late in slaloms, overbraking for corners, etc).

So while taking big chunks off suggests inexperience, putting down consistent runs has to be indexed against a standard of speed to qualify it.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a second of raw time improvement is not bad at all. 2-3 consistently you should definitely work on.

Quick Reply: AutoX in 2 weeks, Specific Set-Up Changes to improve times?