S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

'C' Stock Miata beat 'B' Stock S2000 at nationals.?

Old 11-11-2002, 09:24 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 'C' Stock Miata beat 'B' Stock S2000 at nationals.?

I just got my GRASSROOTS MOTORSPORTS Magazine which lists all of the Nationals.

C Stock 1999 Miata Winner - 97.223
B Stock 2000 S2000 Winner - 97.844

I did like the fact that the;

D Stock Integra Type R Winner - 101.573

That is 3.7 Seconds slower than the S2000!!!!

After looking at some more #'s, the Miata would have won A Stock as well! Beating ZR1's and C5's in a miata is something!!!!

Scot
Old 11-11-2002, 09:26 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Look at when they ran, C-stock ran the north course after CP (BS ran 1st) Darren said running on the north course was like running glue after CP because they repaved the course in Rubber!
Old 11-11-2002, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BS ran in the cold, in the first heat on the first two days of competition. CS ran later in the day and on the last two days, with much better conditions (warmer, much more rubber on the track).

DS Type R's had major issues with the south course, needing to downshift 4 times... My guess would be that the S2K's were challenged a bit more than the Miatas as well on the south course, with much more of a downshifting potential, while not as much as the ITR's had to deal with. Also, the winning Type R was on Kumhos, while the other two classes had winners that were on Hoosiers.

All in all, due to course conditions and course dependency between different classes, it's not totally comparable...
Old 11-11-2002, 11:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't underestimate Miatas. They are excellent handling cars with tons of aftermarket support, and their drivers have had quite a few more years of experience with their cars than S2000 drivers.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by CoralDoc
Don't underestimate Miatas. They are excellent handling cars with tons of aftermarket support, and their drivers have had quite a few more years of experience with their cars than S2000 drivers.
Experience, maybe. After 3 years I'm sure our top guys know the car as well as anyone else knows their own weapon of choice. The miata is a good handling car, always has been, but I beg to differ about the advantage of "tons of aftermarket support" in a stock class. As always, it's a matter of not being able to compare on the same course at the same time of day and in the same conditions.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:41 PM

BTW, the 2002 RTP/PAX for BS would put it only a tenth ahead of DS, so not nearly the you were implying...

BS (indexed) 80.917
DS (indexed) 81.055

And using the 2003 indexes:

BS 80.721
DS 80.751
Old 11-11-2002, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ludedude - Point taken, but I still think drivers will benefit from more time to become familiar with their cars. Also, there are 3 important items that are "free" in stock classes - tires (DOT legal), front swaybars and shocks. I submit that there is still much more choice for Miata drivers, allowing them to more easily tailer their cars to their specific driving styles.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:19 PM

Let's not leave one of the most important factors out of this... Matt Braun! Watching him run was one of the most masterful displays I've seen. He wasted no time setting the pace, and maintained his lead throughout. The gap back to second place only proves the dominance of his performance.

Track conditions were a factor between classes for sure (we were the first cars to compete on the North course.) I'd love to have another crack at that course... it was S2000 heaven. I think we'd be about 1 second faster with better conditions.

The South course wasn't S2000 heaven... right between 1st and 2nd gears.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:52 PM

I agree with Jason, we would have been significantly faster on the North course with more grip. First runs were like having cold water thrown in your face. Also, on that type of course I'd expect the Miatas to do a pretty good job of running close to us even under equivalent conditions. There really weren't that many acceleration zones to differentiate the cars, and a Miata should be able to do as well as an S2K once up to speed in the long back section (maybe better) that seemed to be the key to the course.

On the South course Matt's times were frankly amazing. Tim Aro's times in the MR2 were close to expected for that car and it's better torque curve, but Matt was in another dimension to get a Miata around that fast.

-Andy
Old 11-11-2002, 02:50 PM
Administrator

OK, Doc, I see your point vis-a-vis shocks and bars. Tires are more or less the same for everyone, a nice variety being available in our stock sizes. Bars and shocks are a different story, especially given the (apparently) short lifespan of the Comptech pieces and the expensive shock replacements I've seen for the S so far.

Quick Reply: 'C' Stock Miata beat 'B' Stock S2000 at nationals.?