S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Comptech sway bar

Old 01-02-2001, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have all the details yet, but Ron & I have been talking to the GM at Comptech - looks like they will develop a A-Stock legal front anti-sway bar for us! 3 way adjustable, and Ron spoke with them this AM and gave them feedback on what we know so far... YIPPEE! Hopefully soon - but Mike didn't know the exact timeline.

(ps. the Fordahl bar still is no where near done...)

Annie
Old 01-02-2001, 02:27 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm interested!
Old 01-02-2001, 09:48 PM

I emailed TriPoint Engineering asking them about the status of their anti-sway bar for the S2000. Here's what they said: "Should have some in production in the next couple of months. We should have them in 1 1/4 tubular with .120 and .180 wall thickness with a couple of adjustment choices and a blade style down the road."

So it's just a matter of time as these manufacturers get more experience with producing the bars for the S2000.
Old 01-03-2001, 07:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless they make the arm shorter, both these are less stiff than the currently available Mugen bar which is 1.25" diameter with .197" wall.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vtecing:
[B]I emailed TriPoint Engineering asking them about the status of their anti-sway bar for the S2000. Here's what they said: "Should have some in production in the next couple of months.
Old 01-03-2001, 08:03 AM

What about solid bushings for the front sway bar? This is legal for stock classes. Has anyone tried it?
Old 01-03-2001, 09:10 AM

I talked to Mike from Comptech this AM. It looks like Ron & I might test a prototype non-adjustable bar for them that will be 21% stiffer than the Mugen one - the info provided by the testing would be used to develop the adjustable bar in the near future.

The testing may take place on Jan 21, at a local event here, provided all the logistics fall into place to make that happen.

Oh, and Ron & I have swapped bushings on our car when we went to the Mugen bar we're borrowing from Steve Sucsy. Didn't notice a difference.

Annie
Old 01-03-2001, 03:08 PM

I was also disappointmented with the fact that they were going to be making a more "mainstream" front bar. I had thought they were originally going to be making a very stiff bar, but doesn't seem to be the case (at least for their first bar). They do seem like they'll be improving it in the future with a blade type adjustable bar. The waiting game continues.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gregg Lee:
[B]Unless they make the arm shorter, both these are less stiff than the currently available Mugen bar which is 1.25" diameter with .197" wall.
Old 01-04-2001, 12:33 PM

We are trying to build a bar that will be reasonably priced. Blade adjusters pretty much preclude that though.
Old 01-04-2001, 01:13 PM

True that blade adjusters add cost, but Gary Thomason's bar has these adjusters and they were set in a very deliberate position, about 80-85% of full stiff. Having an infinite adjustment range truly allows for fine tuning. These bars have been quoted for me at $500-$750, seemingly a reasonable price for class-winning technology. I only want the best parts on the car. We're trying to win at National level events, and I don't feel like leaving a couple tenths on the table due to improper swaybar.

Not to say that this is everyone's veiwpoint, but there are several people trying to compete at high levels with the S2K. Enough that I would think it would be lucrative for one of these companies to offer a blade-type bar. I can think of at least 5-7 bars that could be sold right off the bat. Once again I feel like the larger companies are erring toward a mainstream 'affordable' bar, and the custom companies are too busy to take on a new project (Fordahl, Ankeny, King, and others have all expressed interest in making a blade-type bar.)

I am going to contact Tri-Point and tell them that we have 5-7 buyers for copies of Gary Thomason's blade-type bar. Hopefully that's enough demand to get them to dust off the plans and make them for us. I'll keep y'all posted.

Old 01-04-2001, 01:16 PM

Oh... and I wanted to make sure that no-one feels like I'm miffed. Both Guy Ankeny and Scott@King really wanted to make bars. Neither one could do one for at least a couple months, though - and Ft. Myers is 6 weeks away. The off season always seems long, but you always end up behind schedule!

Quick Reply: Comptech sway bar