S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Cusco bar for track use?

Old 12-21-2003, 04:32 PM
pfb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cusco bar for track use?

What's the R & C crowds thoughts on these Cusco bars?

I'm assuming they will not meet regulations, but perhaps still provide a margin of safety? I like 'em because you don't have to hack up your interior too much to install them.
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...50&pagenumber=1
Old 12-21-2003, 09:18 PM

I'm not sure of the regulations but there's also a steel version (in black) called the Safety 21 also sold in that GB. That one seems like it might be a bit stronger than the chromoly version. Again, no hard data but just steel vs chromoly in my mind seems like steel would win out.

The one you show above would probably add another level of safety like you mentioned and would be lighter of course than the steel version.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Chrome Moly is just a steel alloy. Without knowing what type of steel or even what type of ChromMoly, there's no way to tell which one would be stronger.

In any case, having this has to be better than not having any additional protection.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ludedude
Chrome Moly is just a steel alloy.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My question is... Is there sufficient clearance around the center console to add a diagonal brace to the main hoop (without the harness bar, or with a modified harness bar)? Would adding a diagonal brace give the above bar a shot at meeting the requirements of Appendix C (rollbar requirements for Solo II) of the Solo II rulebook?
Old 12-22-2003, 05:52 AM

Looks like it will rob you of some leg room...
Old 12-22-2003, 05:52 AM
pfb

I posted the Chro-Moly picture only because it was a clearer representation of the bar...

My thought was that even with the steel version, the wall thickness, tubing diameter and the bolt-together construction likely eliminate it from SCCA approval, but I really don't remember the requirements.

I'd like to be able to track with some other clubs that do have roll bar requirements. And while they will likely not get out the micrometer to measure a bar, I was kind of wondering if the bar would pass the "glance test".

But a little stiffness and a little more safety might worth it even if it is an obvious out of reg bar...
Old 12-22-2003, 06:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It definitely falls short of Solo I and SCCA road racing requirements, but the tube size meets the minimum 1.5 inch diameter requiremnts for Solo II.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:57 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I bought one (the Safety 21 4 point with harness bar), Should have it in a week or so.

I wanted a bar that will alow me to attend some track days at other circuits other than Summit Point.

I was attracted to the price point and it needs minimal interior cutting. I also needed something to do in the garage this winter

Now I am pondering better seats and harnesses

George
Old 12-22-2003, 04:43 PM

Here are the problems with the Cusco bar/cage:

the backing and mounting plates are woefully inadequate.

the main hoop and rear diagonal braces have nasty curves in them, seriously compromising their strength, in terms of a vertical load.

Personally, I think that I'd rather not risk having large pieces of metal in the passenger compartment unless I knew it was providing substantially more protection in a rollover. The risk of subdural hemotoma due to impacting the bar with your head on the street or in a spin is just too much.

If you do install one, make sure to cover at least the main hoop with proper SFI rated high density padding.

Quick Reply: Cusco bar for track use?