S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Dedicated Race Car

Old 11-13-2006, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dedicated Race Car

Just purchased an s2k for Track Purposes only. Basically going in blind can anyone recommend were to start. Suspension Roll Cage Brakes what is the best you can get. Want to keep it Legal for Honda challenge .

Thanks
Old 11-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO get a hardtop, good cage, seat, harness, accusump, single exhaust, straight pipe, fire bottle, wing? + other safety stuff you need and see how much cash you have left over. IOW get the basics done first and then tinker with the cash you have left over to do what you can. You are closing in on $10K in crap just to pass tech.

After that get wheels, coilovers, BSK, camber kit for the front, datalogger, ECU, video camera, CAI, the list is endless
Old 11-13-2006, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove all unnecessary items (AC, Heater, interior, etc.). Have cage welded in--if you're socal, PM Asura. N.CA talk w/TC Design for cage. I think Honda challenge requires dash.

You'll need a race seat (Sparco SPG a good call), a seat rail (custom or taitec) and a harness (I use Schroth). May as well go with a HANS device and a fire system.

You've got a hard top, yes?
Old 11-13-2006, 08:23 PM

Great Info. Hard Top is on the list Who makes the Best Suspension.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't ask unless you have $5K+

Before any performance upgrades are done you're looking at:
$2K for Cage
$500-1000 for seat/rails
$100-$300 for Harness
Got Helmet/suit/gloves/shoes? Another $1K+
Kill switch, fire system, window net, etc. $500
$1K for stuff I'm forgetting.
$2K hard top

Now if you're going to HPDE your car, then start with a little safety stuff and mess w/suspension (JRZ or Moton if you're worthy), tires, exhaust, etc. Spend a couple hours reading three pages of threads and you should have most your questions answered.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely agree with taking care of the basics first. My suggestion for your dedicated track car:
- Strip everything out you can. I lost just under 300 lbs so far and was surprised by the difference it made.
- Safety items including cage, extinguisher, etc ... now is also a good time of year to pick up a driving suit. Don't skimp on the suit. (Thanks Krazik for giving me that advice ... the light weight suit made the 100 degree track temps more tolerable )
- If the new car is an AP1, I'd pick up a bump steer kit from the S2KI marketplace.

List goes on and on after that. For other items, I'd recommend a data logger at the top of the list. Wing is also high on the list. You can pick up an APR GTC-200 wing for less than $500 new online.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobody,Nov 13 2006, 09:49 PM
$2K for Cage
$500-1000 for seat/rails
$100-$300 for Harness
Got Helmet/suit/gloves/shoes? Another $1K+
Kill switch, fire system, window net, etc. $500
$1K for stuff I'm forgetting.
$2K hard top

Now if you're going to HPDE your car, then start with a little safety stuff and mess w/suspension (JRZ or Moton if you're worthy), tires, exhaust, etc. Spend a couple hours reading three pages of threads and you should have most your questions answered.
Each of those should have an "or more" on them.

$3K for hardtop unless you can get one used (which you should try to do for a race car).

HANS is about $900 or so. Talk to Jeremy Lucas.

The helmet I just bought was $800 (and not the top of the lineup, either).

Harness for $100? No way.

Etc.

Actually, I'm putting about $10K into my car just to HPDE it. In fact, that can be a bit more expensive than the race prep, since you generally need "equal protection" in terms of seats and harnesses if you ever plan to instruct or be instructed.

Roll bar/cage costs vary a lot, but expect them to be high right now. Steel is made with oil, and so it has become quite expensive.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by msm_s2k,Nov 13 2006, 09:52 PM
Definitely agree with taking care of the basics first. My suggestion for your dedicated track car:
- Strip everything out you can. I lost just under 300 lbs so far and was surprised by the difference it made.
- Safety items including cage, extinguisher, etc ... now is also a good time of year to pick up a driving suit. Don't skimp on the suit. (Thanks Krazik for giving me that advice ... the light weight suit made the 100 degree track temps more tolerable )
- If the new car is an AP1, I'd pick up a bump steer kit from the S2KI marketplace.

List goes on and on after that. For other items, I'd recommend a data logger at the top of the list. Wing is also high on the list. You can pick up an APR GTC-200 wing for less than $500 new online.
Where can you find an APR GTC-200 for 500 bucks? I'm interested.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:43 PM

I Got about 10 K to put into the Project can any buddy Recommend any good Shops in So cal to do the work.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4xfordbronc,Nov 14 2006, 12:08 AM
Where can you find an APR GTC-200 for 500 bucks? I'm interested.
$469 ...

http://hpautoworks.chainreactionweb.com/in...3fe4e98238c7353

Quick Reply: Dedicated Race Car