S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Do Harnesses Really Need to be Replaced Every 5 Years?

Old 04-16-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
I'm seeing that the graph DavidNJ posted as that the belts tested are actually increasing in strength between ages 6-11 years, correct?

The other graph in the article itself were they test OEM type seat belts shows a decrease in strength.

I believe that the requirement to replace them is arbitrary. In the real world, if you've never gotten in a crash on the track, no, I don't think you really need to replace them.

How about the helmet time limit replacement? Or, isn't there a seat one as well? Why the hell should you replace your seat if you've never been in a crash?

Maybe all this is just to cover the people who have been in crashes, but haven't replaced their stuff, and won't admit they've been in crashes. So, a few bad apples spoil it for everyone....?
The test took a random selection of belts to test which quite different from taking belts and aging them in a controlled way. We don't have the raw data nor do we have error bars. What we do have is that degradation is apparent in that time frame. The SFI 2-year limit for polyester belts in the 16.6 spec does seem a bit ridiculous. That said, I'm sure NASCAR and Indycar teams swap belts every year or more frequently.

The seat is even more bizarre because the cert is attached to the shell which probably doesn't age perceptibly at all, especially for aluminum seats. However, the foam on the seats probably does age, just as it does in your sofa. I doubt any S2000 driver has an FIA 8862-2009 seat. The FIA 8855-1999 spec says virtually nothing. The SFI spec requires recertification by the manufacturer or their agent and can be done in the field; ultimately, it could be the same as a bi-annual tech. Beyond that, SFI certification is only in the top NASCAR professional classes.

Helmets have had constantly evolving specs. The foam is exposed to a relatively humid and warm environment when it is worn. Depending on the organization, some allow helmets 2 specs old, some 1 spec old, which would be up to 10 or 15 years (e.g. an SA2010 in 2020, when the SA2020 helmets come out in October.

Originally Posted by haga888
It's a CYA thing for the manufacturers. For the racing bodies they don't have the time or manpower to individually inspect every harness, seat, and helmet to determine whether they are fit so they set a relatively arbitrary 5 year number. It's long enough that if you're serious about racing you'll make the investment and short enough that chances are none of them will have gone bad by then. Also a bit of a CYA for the racing bodies as well I guess. If they inspect your car and say that your 10 year old harness is ok and something happens it's a liability.

Do do you need to change it? Probably not. But like most safety items, do you really want your obituary to read "died because of $500 harness".
On another forum, there was a forcefully submitted hypothesis that the frequent cert expirations are for the manufacturers to sell more gear. Note that the manufacturers pay to be certified. It is revenue for the certifying organization and their paying customer is the manufacturer.

Safety is a strange topic on this forum. There have been vociferous arguments that 3-point OEM belts and seats are fine as new HPDE participants hit 120mph, 130+mph with those OEM belts and no roll bar, let alone a cage. Many drivers are pretty close to the height of the roll bar with their helmets on. I brush the top with my helmet on. Containment seats are even rarer, even on cars dedicated to track use.

Even inexpensive safety gear is rare. For example, there is a $50 bladder that goes in any helmet and allows safety crew to remove it without tugging on the driver's potentially injured neck. S2000 driver's aren't alone here. Since Felipe Massa's accident in 2009 Formula 1 and Indycar drivers have had a 2" wide Zylon (a synthetic polymer) band on the top of their visors. It dramatically increases the strength of the visor. I imagine the number of amateur formula car and sports racer drivers with it can be counted on one hand. At Bell, it adds $500 to a $100 visor,

What I've learned in the last few months is that many cars have severe restrictions on putting safety equipment in smaller cars like the S2000 or Miata. A 5-8, 145lb driver (typical F1 size) would fit with helmet clearance and enough width to fit a containment seat and door bars. Make that a 6-2, 220lb driver with broad shoulders (say size 46-48 jacket) and the car isn't wide enough and it is hard-to-impossible to make the seat low enough.

Spec Miatas have a drop floor. How many drivers have a negative-g belt to prevent the harness from letting them slide an inch or two further up in a roll (a very common accident for production-based race cars)?

Beyond that, as a few discussions show, we have very little collective memory of racing/HPDE crashes. HANS devices breaking collar bones? We are discussing aging of helmets and harnesses with one second-hand report of an ad hoc test in Australia as our only data point. Roll bar, roll cage, containment seat? What is our knowledge of HPDE crash injuries or even NASA, SCCA, LeMons, Chump Car, etc.crash info? The Spec Racer Ford people talk about a 33-year safety record, yet there have been at least 4 drivers sent to the hospital between October and January (crashes at Thunderhill and Sebring).

Back to the title. Do harnesses need to be replaced every 5 years? The only info we have indicates that is probably not a valid issue. But they should be replaced if their are soiled or otherwise damaged regardless of age.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sure they set the expiry sooner than they actually expect the harness to be compromised just like dairy farmers set the expiry on milk sooner than they actually expect it to go sour. But in fairness they have no idea what kind of environment the harness is being subject to. If they sit baking in the Mexican sun everyday for five years I think we'd agree that the life of that harness would probably be less than the one in my car here in Canada that sits in a heated garage for the equivalent of nine months a year. Now is that five years vs ten years I have no idea. Cash grab? Sure probably to some extent. But how much money are these guys making from repeat harness sales?

Here's a question. Would you ever buy a used expired harness and install them in a car you were intent on taking to the limit? I think the answer is probably no. Which would tell me that we all think there's a useful life to a harness and for the cost difference it's probably not an area you want to cut corners. I don't drink expired milk either.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by haga888
I'm sure they set the expiry sooner than they actually expect the harness to be compromised just like dairy farmers set the expiry on milk sooner than they actually expect it to go sour. But in fairness they have no idea what kind of environment the harness is being subject to. If they sit baking in the Mexican sun everyday for five years I think we'd agree that the life of that harness would probably be less than the one in my car here in Canada that sits in a heated garage for the equivalent of nine months a year. Now is that five years vs ten years I have no idea. Cash grab? Sure probably to some extent. But how much money are these guys making from repeat harness sales?

Here's a question. Would you ever buy a used expired harness and install them in a car you were intent on taking to the limit? I think the answer is probably no. Which would tell me that we all think there's a useful life to a harness and for the cost difference it's probably not an area you want to cut corners. I don't drink expired milk either.
A lot of it depends on budget. There are owners on this forum who have $30k-$60+k in modifications, to some extent depending on the time and skills they have available. Others are on very tight budgets where the cost of a harness, roll bar, or seat is a major expense. There are endless threads talking about cartridge shocks or seat mounts where the shoddy workmanship demands rewelding. Some people store their cars in heated garages with complete workshops and a pickup and enclosed trailer outside. Others park on the street or in the spot in front of their townhouse or apartment.

If your budget was tight enough, you might use an expired harness otherwise in good condition if your event organizer allowed it. Wouldn't it be better than 15-year-old OEM belts?
Old 04-16-2017, 06:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A 6-Pt harness will run you $300-$600 and a 4-pt anywhere between $100-$300 brand new. If money is tight sure do what you need to do. But given what racing or frequent track days cost, these aren't huge numbers to drop every five years if necessary. I guess the question is is it necessary? The harness I have cost $332, it's not worth the stress of second guessing whether it will save my life.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TO be fair if you're not going crazy on the brand, G-force 6-point FIA harnesses are ~175 a side. I've been using mine since 2014 and have no complaints.

I do have an expired SFI one of the same vintage in my passenger seat though, and don't plan on changing it anytime soon. No problem with tech at DEs so far, but I'm not sure if they even check the labels on that stuff.