S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

End of the square vs staggered

Old 10-07-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
I'd disagree. I have no doubt a 245/275 setup will be faster, especially if the car is setup for it. To many people buy coilovers with spring rates setup for square.

Basically every model after 00-03 tries to put more bias towards the front for understeer.

Take an AP1 stock setup, with Eibach 32mm front sway, to increase rear grip, coils with 8k-front/10k-rear, or 10k-front/12k rear, with 245s(8.5 or 9"wheel) up front and 275(10-10.5" wheel) rear, and you'll have a car setup for staggered.

It blows my mind that I read about people saying my car is faster square! Yet they either have a later models year which is setup closer to square, or the mods they have done also push the car toward better handling square. Your going to be fastest with whatever your car is setup for... But when it comes down to it more grip = better. More tire on the ground = more grip.
but you can have too much tire. There is a point of deminishing returns.

the same for brakes and rotors. Bigger brakes and rotors can be slower.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I'd disagree. I have no doubt a 245/275 setup will be faster, especially if the car is setup for it. To many people buy coilovers with spring rates setup for square.
But when it comes down to it more grip = better. More tire on the ground = more grip.
The contact patch between 255/40 square and a 245/40 / 275/35 stagger is going to be the same.
Either way, these things are going to come down to driving style and setup. Fact is, more setup knowledge and off the shelf parts are available in the US for a square setup.

With this said, the fastest S2000 in the country (probably world.) is on a 315/335 stagger, but I suspect it is only because he couldn't physically fit more up front.

Last edited by Chibo; 10-07-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Being careful not getting away from OP statements.
Don't think just adjustment with tires to suit the incorrect bias & balance of arbs & spring rates fitted <non oem>&=<driveability>is the correct way forwards in the black art of handling.
There is a right way,
a wrong way
and a correct way.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
With this said, the fastest S2000 in the country (probably world.) is on a 315/335 stagger, but I suspect it is only because he couldn't physically fit more up front.
Hence another important point. Unless one is running a custom widebody on the s2k, even then you will almost always be able to accommodate more rubber in the rear of the car vs front, so going square in that case will leave grip on the table when the front is the limiting factor for fitment, certainly on a non custom body s2k. My car is set up to run 255-275 front and 295-315 rears. Always staggered! I also use this car for street and track days, so my aero is limited and often times track the car with the top down, so naturally a staggered set up with more tire in the rear helps keep the grip balance more controllable at high speeds.

Lots to consider OP! Square is not always better/faster.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 10-07-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:53 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Basically every model after 00-03 tries to put more bias towards the front for understeer.

Take an AP1 stock setup, with Eibach 32mm front sway, to increase rear grip, coils with 8k-front/10k-rear, or 10k-front/12k rear, with 245s(8.5 or 9"wheel) up front and 275(10-10.5" wheel) rear, and you'll have a car setup for staggered.

It blows my mind that I read about people saying my car is faster square! Yet they either have a later models year which is setup closer to square, or the mods they have done also push the car toward better handling square. Your going to be fastest with whatever your car is setup for... But when it comes down to it more grip = better. More tire on the ground = more grip.
No disrespect to either you or Junky, but I have trouble trusting anyone on this issue if I don’t personally know how they drive. All I can say is the balance this car finds with a square setup is significantly better without. FYI my car is setup for a staggered setup. So I really expected more oversteer, which was sorta the case, but the ability to work the slip angles of the front tires is so much better with more front tire.

Bottom line, I really don’t care about opinions on this issue, I have tried enough different things with this car and have enough ability that my experience is all I really care about and what this post is intended to share.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Hence another important point. Unless one is running a custom widebody on the s2k, even then you will almost always be able to accommodate more rubber in the rear of the car vs front, so going square in that case will leave grip on the table when the front is the limiting factor for fitment, certainly on a non custom body s2k. My car is set up to run 255-275 front and 295-315 rears. Always staggered! I also use this car for street and track days, so my aero is limited and often times track the car with the top down, so naturally a staggered set up with more tire in the rear helps keep the grip balance more controllable at high speeds.

Lots to consider OP! Square is not always better/faster.
see statement above

To me your statement feels like you haven’t truely driven this car 10/10. Sorry, no disrespect, it is just how it comes across.
The following users liked this post:
Chibo (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz

It is more about balance vs overall tire. So with that I am not sure a 255/275 staggered would have the same balance as a 255 square setup.

Fir earlier question, I am running 255 square.
And when you were running a stagger, what was it? As others are saying, I'm not surprised at all that 255 square is faster than a skinnier tire up front, but I would be quite surprised if it were faster than eg 255F, 275R, if the car were set up properly.

Edit: I see from your other thread, you were 225/255 previously.

Last edited by Nate Tempest; 10-07-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz

To me your statement feels like you haven’t truely driven this car 10/10. Sorry, no disrespect, it is just how it comes across.

I was thinking a similar thing when I came across this thread. Funny!
Old 10-07-2018, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I was thinking a similar thing when I came across this thread. Funny!
No worries, I am pretty secure in my abilities to drive a car, what some random guy on S2ki thinks, really means nothing to me.

Anyway, you gave your opinion, which everyone has a right to, so just move along.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
And when you were running a stagger, what was it? As others are saying, I'm not surprised at all that 255 square is faster than a skinnier tire up front, but I would be quite surprised if it were faster than eg 255F, 275R, if the car were set up properly.
IMO, the S2k needs an amount of oversteer to be fast, the difference in balance is in the ability to work the front slip angle without having to fight the rear. That said more rubber is certainly better, but when you bias more rubber in the rear the car is less controllable and seems to have a more noticeable “edge”. I changed nothing about my setup other than went squared and the car was night and day more controllable it didn’t necessarily “have more grip”. In fact I bet it may have had less grip since I have RE71s on the staggered and went back to RS4s. Essentially I was able to take the car to places I can promise I never would have been able to bring it back from when I was staggered, even with the RE71s.

It wasn’t an increase in grip that I noticed it was how much more balanced and how controllable it was in places that use to be beyond the limit.

Quick Reply: End of the square vs staggered