S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Excessive rear brake pads wear

Old 07-21-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Excessive rear brake pads wear

My car is still stock including the brake pads (OEM), it's pretty much a track day car now, 90% track and 10% street driving.
the rear pads are wearing out very fast compared to the front pads, I change 3 to 4 rear pads for every 1 front pad, is this normal ?
the brake bias seems normal and I feel no problems when braking, am I the only one having this wear issue? what could be the cause?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:33 PM

Since nobody in the history of this car has worn through entire sets of stock pads on the track, who knows?

If this is a track toy, why not get proper brake pads for it, given its primary purpose?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Late@Apex,Jul 21 2008, 03:40 PM
My car is still stock including the brake pads (OEM), it's pretty much a track day car now, 90% track and 10% street driving.
the rear pads are wearing out very fast compared to the front pads, I change 3 to 4 rear pads for every 1 front pad, is this normal ?
the brake bias seems normal and I feel no problems when braking, am I the only one having this wear issue? what could be the cause?
i go thru my fronts faster than my rears. u may want to check your rear calipers
Old 07-21-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i changed my front at the same time as rear. Thought i was the only one int he forum that had the problem. Narrowed the problem to either my driving on the track or using cross drilled rotors . I noticed my rear rotors had uneven wear too.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:46 AM

if you track 90% of the time I'm amazed your still using stock pads

last time I put a pair of stock pads on the back (box had been a backup set gathereing dust), they didn't even last one track day ..... one of the pads in fact disintegrated competely and I drove home with a nasty scraping sound .....

but the I do wear the brakes out...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=486872&st=25
Old 07-22-2008, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, with stock pads you will destroy the rears even faster than the fronts. As everyone else has mentioned, your problem is that you shouldn't be using stock pads on the track.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jul 22 2008, 08:00 AM
Yes, with stock pads you will destroy the rears even faster than the fronts. As everyone else has mentioned, your problem is that you shouldn't be using stock pads on the track.
My plan was to switch to race pads after I wear the fronts OEM, in fact I already bought the Crbotechs XP10/8, but I found my self changing the rears 3 times already and the front still at 40%, so I want to make sure that there is nothing wrong with my brakes before switching to the Carbotechs.
But why would the rears get destroyed like that? is it over heating of the fronts and transferring all the load to the rear? or something else? why wouldn't this happen to racing pads? why is the difference?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Late@Apex,Jul 22 2008, 10:16 AM
But why would the rears get destroyed like that? is it over heating of the fronts and transferring all the load to the rear? or something else? why wouldn't this happen to racing pads? why is the difference?
I think the cause is that the rear pads are so much smaller than the front pads. You are putting too much heat into both the front and the rear, but there is more front pad mass to try and survive it.

It's also possible that the OEM pads are not the same material front/rear. I've never seen any proof that they are. So maybe the rear pad material is more fragile under track conditions than the front pad.

Just use the race pads. Obviously your attempt to "use up your pads" is not saving you the money that you hoped it would.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 04, my rear OEM pads wore down from about 3/4 of original thickness to 1/8 on my 2nd HPDE. My fronts were relatively fine. I skipped out on my last session of the day because I wanted to get home safely.

If my car is any indication, there is nothing wrong with your brakes. For this reason, I switched over to Carbotech AX6s all around for my next HPDEs.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by youngjun91,Jul 22 2008, 11:55 AM
On my 04, my rear OEM pads wore down from about 3/4 of original thickness to 1/8 on my 2nd HPDE. My fronts were relatively fine. I skipped out on my last session of the day because I wanted to get home safely.

If my car is any indication, there is nothing wrong with your brakes. For this reason, I switched over to Carbotech AX6s all around for my next HPDEs.
How is the wear pattern on the XP6? is it even front/rear?

Quick Reply: Excessive rear brake pads wear