S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

First time tracking the S!

Old 09-28-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Overkill? Not sure.

I've run 20 or more track days with my '04, and the only thing I've really needed to upgrade is the brake pads. I run Carbotech XP8 front and rear and have found them to be very rotor friendly. Indeed, I am still on my original stock rotors, although I think the fronts may finally be cracked. Cool down lap very important and I find the empty paddock when I come in and drive around that for 3 to 5 minutes. No puddles. And when I park the car, I try to remember to push it a half turn of the wheel after a few minutes to get the hot spot on the rotors out from under the pads.

I bleed the brakes before almost every track day. Not a full bleed, but more than enough to get new brake fluid at the caliper.

My next upgrade was braided steel lines. Your original rubber lines are now 12 years old, so its time anyway.

I use a Bell helmet. I think its a Sport model with the venturi effect openings (very important if you want to stay cool.) I bought the SA-2010 this spring rather than the SA-2015. My old SA-2005 helmet was pretty ripe" after 5 or 6 years of racing and track days. Figuring a SA-2015 wouldn't last me ten years so I went for the savings.

When the original Bridgestone Potenzas wore out, I went with the Sumitomo HTR ZIII tires. There are better tires now, but they have served me quite well. I can keep up with guys running grippier tires when I set my mind to it.

That's about it. Oil changes at least ever second track day and differential fluid changes annually.

Now, don't get me wrong. My goal is to run the car more or less stock. No roll bar, only the factory hoops. I've spun it a few times but try to keep it under control and in a straight line. I stick to the Intermediate run group and I have no interest in moving to Advanced. The tracks here in the northeast are mostly momentum tracks so maybe easier on the brakes that tracks in your area. AP1s are faster than AP2s, so don't take it personally if they pass you.

And the guy behind will appreciate it if you remember: don't lift in the corners - and when you drop two wheels, ride it out and don't yank the car back on track.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:50 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1475049054' post='24071488
You should also get all this stuff from Matt @ SpeedfreaksUSA and enjoy watching Matt and I battle to the death in November.
Looking forward to it
I'll be quietly bringing up the rear for the Wingless Wonders in Advanced.

Ordered my front pads from speedfreaksusa last week. Gotta kill a few more sets of spare stock sized rotors before I finally bite the bullet and go BBK.
The following users liked this post:
ottawas2000guy (03-12-2018)
Old 10-02-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Matt and Andrew, thanks for the input!

Now that I'm not blowing money on bling rotors, might pull the trigger on the new GoPro session 5 !
Old 12-01-2017, 10:30 PM

Two track days over a year and daily driven S; the Firestones are more than enough for my current skill level.

The HC+800 have great bite, but from a daily driven stand point, I might slap on OEM pads back on for the street for less dust.

Had my first high speed spin out at Laguna. Happened so fast on turn 5, that I didn't have time to freak out. Most likely I'll be investing in a Hard Dog roll bar (double diagonal, and retain OEM 3 pt belts)

I've been convinced there's a ton of time to be gained in my stock car, so the Ohlins will just be sitting in my loft for now.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (12-06-2017)
Old 01-04-2018, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by manystyles
Two track days over a year and daily driven S; the Firestones are more than enough for my current skill level.

The HC+800 have great bite, but from a daily driven stand point, I might slap on OEM pads back on for the street for less dust.

Had my first high speed spin out at Laguna. Happened so fast on turn 5, that I didn't have time to freak out. Most likely I'll be investing in a Hard Dog roll bar (double diagonal, and retain OEM 3 pt belts)

I've been convinced there's a ton of time to be gained in my stock car, so the Ohlins will just be sitting in my loft for now.
Hey Alex,

If you've been getting sick of the dust from HC+800 you can always pick up some NS400 for cheap and call it a day without having to worry about contaminating the transfer layer with some other pads' compound. Just pad slap the HC+800 back on before your event and go.

Glad I could share the experience of your first spin haha. The car getting very loose on a trailing throttle (especially once the car is fully loaded into a corner) will catch you out many times as you're learning but as you continue to improve you'll find that characteristic to be a blessing and not a curse. It will also inherently force you to become a better driver because there is no hiding from the punishment if you don't drive the car smoothly and can't anticipate what the car is going to do in any given scenario. But once you conquer that it's one of the best driving experiences at any price point and thats why so many of us will love this chassis until the end of time

With that said a roll bar is a great idea in this car. Feel free to give me a call or shoot me a message if you want to discuss your options coming up here.

-Matt M.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:21 AM

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the brake pad suggestion. I may have to pull the trigger on the NS's.

I'll be contacting you soon for the Hard Dog rollbar. Psychologically, it'll help me be less concerned about losing the rear end. I just need more seat time.

Cheers,
Alex
Old 09-14-2023, 03:08 AM

Received 3,803 Likes on 3,029 Posts