S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Are Fortune Auto coilovers "legit?"

Old 09-30-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jst2878
Originally Posted by omgitsoop' timestamp='1349035625' post='22048177
I have 10k/10k fortunes, and I have a bouncy problem also, certain bumps give me a quick but very unsettling pogo effect. Turning up or down the dampers will harden or soften the feel of the pogo, but the existence of the bouncing itself never goes away, no matter what Ive done.
Dampers are full hard. I don't get why 9k swift springs feel so soft. Are their any markings on swift springs that tell what spring rate each one is.

I'm just pissed I have to take them off, send them back, install stocks, get revamped set back in a few weeks, take off stocks, and then install the 510s again.
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

My swifts do actually say 10k on them. Im hoping I can get a refund, although I highly doubt it, if not Ill just sell them, I have V3 500, its too discouraging to hear people with the newer better versions having the same complaints as me, so Im over it, time to move on to something a little more tried and true.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

This is a great thread. The KW's do take a big hit in NASA TT/PT because of the "remote" reservoir in the front. That's an advantage for the ASTs, no "remote." I'm a big fan of my KW V3s but the Summit Main overall S2000 record is held by Skip who ran Koni yellows modified for adjustabliity, again no "remote" reservoir. Matt from DC bought his Koni yellows and now holds the 3rd fastest lap time at Summit so they work well.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the issues you don't see from a average force-velocity plot is how long it takes the damper to react. It sounds like these are very slow to react, so you'll pogo because they take a little bit of time to damp in each direction. Not sure if they can provide a Force-displacement graph, that'd be interesting to see?

Also someone said that the plot above isn't even from an S2000, so it'd be interesting to see if anyone does have a plot from an S2000. It seems like at the stiffer rebound settings you should be OK, although it's not a ton of damping for sure, particularly if that compression is right - there's very little compression.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Former Moderator

Keep in mind stiffer springs need less compression but more rebound damping. The above descriptions of "bouncy" and pogoing sound like inadequate rebound dampening. Unless your shock company has a lot of experience with your car it's difficult to have custom valved single adjustable shocks turn out right, that's why double (or triple) adjustable is almost a requirement for lap record speeds. Save time and money and get double adjustable coil overs the first time.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks. Im stuck with what i have. They will readjust to my liking. If all goes accordingly then i will be happy.
Im a very spirited driver who flies on the highways at night. Its such a great feeling having no traffic but now i need my car to feel better than stock
Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Former Moderator

If you send them in for re-valving I'd have them go really, really stiffer in rebound because it sounds like 9-12k springs are overpowering the shocks and oscillating even at the max stiffness setting.

It seems we have an answer to the op, these shocks don't seem to be "legit" for competition.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had the chance to drive an S2000 with the fortune 510's. They felt decent overall. However, the mid speed rebound is really lacking. Having followed this car around the track, I was able to see the rear of the car oscillating like a bobble head over small dips and uneven surfaces. My immediate suggestion to the owner was that the dampers need more rebound. It was very easy to see from the outside that they had a hard time controlling the spring during extension. I don't think they are necessarily bad for track use, but I think the valving needs some changes.
The following users liked this post:
ottawas2000guy (11-08-2016)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the rebound damping is completely lacking relative to the springs. I'd have to agree with all of the above posts.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Ok. Sent them back. If buddy club racing spec uses 10k springs with 14k valving...how would 11k or 12k swift springs need to be ravalved to 16k. I dont want to oscillate. I want to be planted but i drive mostly spirited driving on parkways. 11k or 12k....im so perplexed
Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jst2878
Ok. Sent them back. If buddy club racing spec uses 10k springs with 14k valving...how would 11k or 12k swift springs need to be ravalved to 16k. I dont want to oscillate. I want to be planted but i drive mostly spirited driving on parkways. 11k or 12k....im so perplexed
IMO you're going about this the wrong way. I would suggest going a direction that utilizes a known product in the s2ki racing that would fit your budget. It is worth every dollar for you to save up to something like a Koni/GC combo, any of the KW coilover setups, Bilsteins, or AST 4100 (higherend of the bunch).

Quick Reply: Are Fortune Auto coilovers "legit?"