S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Front RCA issue

Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Front RCA issue

Hi all, I have hardrace front and rear roll centre adjusters fitted and ran into a problem with geo setup today and was looking for comments.

Before RCA I had:

Camber FR -3 deg
Camber Rear -2.3 deg / mins
Toe FR 0
Toe rear 0.2 deg total
Caster 6.5

After fitting we could only get -2.4 deg / mins on the rear... So it wouldn't go more +ve ie we could get more -ve but no more +ve. I can live with that and we got the toe where we want it.

On the front it was worse but the opposite. The most camber we could get even by playing with the caster was 1.2 deg / mins. That was the end of the adjuster and couldn't get it anywhere near -3

I would have though the RCA would actually push the lower wishbone back up and therefore allow more -ve camber?

Almost certain they are fitted right.

Anyone come across this?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you get a picture from the bottom up, there is different kits for the RCAs, if I recall, one of them does not increase the camber.
It is easy to tell since the 2 bolts will be offset from the center.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Could you clarify before and after from a parts perspective? From what I gather, you have the hardrace 6621 offset balljoint and you had it on your car without the optional RCA plate with -3 deg camber. Then you added the RCA plate and now you can only get -1.2 deg camber. Is this right?

Was the balljoint put back on backwards? That what I'd guess since you're now getting less negative camber than stock.

Originally Posted by MB
I would have though the RCA would actually push the lower wishbone back up and therefore allow more -ve camber?
I'd guess the same, but it would be so slight that you wouldn't be able to measure the difference.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you get the "offset" RCA?

If you did, you likely put the front RCA ball joints in backwards. The larger hump needs to go towards the inside of the car so that the holes where the hub bolts up are further offset to the outside of the suspension.

I happened to do this on my first install as well. They sort of go in opposite of how it looks like it should go if you keep looking a the adjusters the opposite way they go in the car. remember that you want to push the bottom of the knuckle outward. To do this, the attachment point of the knuckle needs to be further away from the inside of the car.

The installation of the front RCA will raise the car and decrease camber as well.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by berny2435
If you did, you likely put the front RCA ball joints in backwards. The larger hump needs to go towards the inside of the car so that the holes where the hub bolts up are further offset to the outside of the suspension.

I happened to do this on my first install as well. They sort of go in opposite of how it looks like it should go if you keep looking a the adjusters the opposite way they go in the car. remember that you want to push the bottom of the knuckle outward. To do this, the attachment point of the knuckle needs to be further away from the inside of the car.
Like this:
Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM
MB

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it

Originally Posted by ryangrow
Can you get a picture from the bottom up, there is different kits for the RCAs, if I recall, one of them does not increase the camber.
It is easy to tell since the 2 bolts will be offset from the center.
Ive got the offset ones, pretty sure.

Originally Posted by odb812
Could you clarify before and after from a parts perspective? From what I gather, you have the hardrace 6621 offset balljoint and you had it on your car without the optional RCA plate with -3 deg camber. Then you added the RCA plate and now you can only get -1.2 deg camber. Is this right?
Hi, no I just had the OEM balljoint and changed it for the Hardrace RCA and ball joint at the same time

Originally Posted by berny2435
did you get the "offset" RCA?

The installation of the front RCA will raise the car and decrease camber as well.

Great info, and sounds like what OBD812 is suggesting, it might be fitted the wrong way. I think we fitted it so it aligned with the shape of the mointing point, which from what you say is the opposite to how it should be.

Will try and swap it tomorrow and see what happens

Thanks again!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:02 PM
MB

Originally Posted by odb812
Originally Posted by berny2435' timestamp='1363031160' post='22396371

Like this:
That pic is a big help
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely looks installed backwards to me.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM
MB

Yep, all sorted now I think! Car is in for geo now but 'looks' right