S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Fuel Starvation with A Full Tank

Old 09-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fuel Starvation with A Full Tank

I was running at the Central Divisions event this weekend at the Kansas Speedway. The car performed well overall, I was super happy to reports to the new oil pan I lost almost no oil! I did have one problem, after a hard left I would accelerate out of the corner and the car would just about die, I am pretty sure that I was loosing fuel. That being said during all runs I filled the tank completely in hopes I could prevent the loss but no luck.

I know that others have used a secondary pickup in the tank but I am having trouble trying to figure out the best way to set this up. If I can't find a good way to add a secondary pickup I will probably just throw in a secondary pickup.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get the external swirl pot Full Blown or SOS have on the market.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely my favorite choice but that costs points, well if I am reading the instruction correctly! It calls out a new pump is okay baring it is a replacement and not being used to supply additional fuel. This is my case I just need to fix the starvation issue but I did not want to risk getting call out. No that I have some real competition I want to keep everything on the straight and narrow.

I will take this to the officials and see what they say.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
I was running at the Central Divisions event this weekend at the Kansas Speedway. The car performed well overall, I was super happy to reports to the new oil pan I lost almost no oil! I did have one problem, after a hard left I would accelerate out of the corner and the car would just about die, I am pretty sure that I was loosing fuel. That being said during all runs I filled the tank completely in hopes I could prevent the loss but no luck.

I know that others have used a secondary pickup in the tank but I am having trouble trying to figure out the best way to set this up. If I can't find a good way to add a secondary pickup I will probably just throw in a secondary pickup.

This is a known problem. It can result in power loss, the engine shutting down, and especially in forced induction applications, engine damage. Check out this review:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/109...os-surge-tank/

There's a solution available however:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/e...el_surge_tank/
Old 09-18-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was to at just over 1/4 tank. In that video I made, notice the quick flick to the right after turn 6 onto the back straight? problem solved lol. I don't think it was costing me any time, but I would add a second pickup on the other side.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the SOS surge tank with my SCd F24. No starvation issues since. On slicks, I would starve on anything less than 3/4.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaundice
I'm running the SOS surge tank with my SCd F24. No starvation issues since. On slicks, I would starve on anything less than 3/4.
Thank you for your feedback!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Canton pan?
Old 10-04-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course
Old 10-07-2014, 01:22 PM

Received 121 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd

Same issue I've been dealing with. After about 15 minutes on my local course, I start getting fuel starve and the gauge will still display full... Until I turn off the car and turn the ignition back on. I've been filling my tank to the top of the filler tube to get as much time on track as I can. I want to add a surge, but do not really want an external system. I did have someone that was going to make me an in-tank version like they have, but that seems like a long shot.

I do not like the SOS tank because it replaced the charcoal canister and I'm guessing they just vent the fuel tank because of it. With E85, I prefer to keep the system closed to keep water absorption down.

We need to get together sometime dood.