S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Heat cycle Hoosier A6? Tirerack says "NO"

Old 06-06-2006, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Heat cycle Hoosier A6? Tirerack says "NO"

Any thoughts on Tireracks recommendation for the A6:

"A6 Autocross: For autocrossing, the A6 does not need the same break-in procedure as the R6. The A6 needs a minimal scuff-in session before the first autocross run. This "session" can comprise of simply driving around the event site at minimal speeds on the A6 set of tires. By scrubbing off the newness of the tread (only minimal or no shine remaining) prior to your first competitive run, the A6 tires will be more consistent in handling, grip and responsiveness on the first run. If this is not completed, running on un-scuffed A6 tires on your first run may result in the tires not gripping properly, or feeling like they "skate" over the course surface. It is acceptable to run 3 - 5 psi higher when scuffing in a new set of A6 tires, but be sure to reset them to the correct operating pressures before your first autocross run. As you compile autocross runs on your new A6 tires, they should become more consistent in run times."

So no initial heat cycle/cure cycle period for this tire? What do you all think?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,Jun 6 2006, 09:43 AM
Any thoughts on Tireracks recommendation for the A6:

"A6 Autocross: For autocrossing, the A6 does not need the same break-in procedure as the R6. The A6 needs a minimal scuff-in session before the first autocross run. This "session" can comprise of simply driving around the event site at minimal speeds on the A6 set of tires. By scrubbing off the newness of the tread (only minimal or no shine remaining) prior to your first competitive run, the A6 tires will be more consistent in handling, grip and responsiveness on the first run. If this is not completed, running on un-scuffed A6 tires on your first run may result in the tires not gripping properly, or feeling like they "skate" over the course surface. It is acceptable to run 3 - 5 psi higher when scuffing in a new set of A6 tires, but be sure to reset them to the correct operating pressures before your first autocross run. As you compile autocross runs on your new A6 tires, they should become more consistent in run times."

So no initial heat cycle/cure cycle period for this tire? What do you all think?
I guess I'll anser my own post. The Hoosier website says the same thing so i guess that is what I will do.

CN: Cool, I don't need to worry about initial heat cycling with the A6, just scrub them in and go...
Old 06-07-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you read the next two paragraphs on Hoosier's web site, they do say to scrub in the tires, then let them cure for at least 24 hours.

From Hoosier's web site:

"Cure" Time
After completing the initial run phase, the length of time the tire is allowed to set is possibly more important. The barest minimum for this process to be beneficial is 24 hours. (Not "the next day"). Any less than this is a waste of time. The best situation would allow a week before using the tire again.

Proper tire management is a difficult process. To accomplish this almost always requires a second set of wheels. The payoff is greatly increased competitive tire life.

Following the recommended break-in procedure will require a lot of planning to make it work. The benefits to doing it right include greatly increased tire life as well as consistent performance and durability under stress. Please make an effort to educate your team on the importance of this. It can save you a lot of money.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:23 PM

You right, that looks to be the case but this does not make any sense. What is the point of a "cure time" if the only initial break-in is a light scuff in?

The directions for the A6 talk about merely scruffing the tire before running them at an autoX (unless the cure is supposed to happen after the first autoX).

So I should cure them after the first autoX or after the initial light scrub-in?

Old 06-08-2006, 05:32 AM

I have a new set of the A3S05s and I plan on scuffing them in, getting them up to temp and letting them cure for a few days off the car. I know that if you don't do this with the A3S05s you get significantly reduce life. The A6s do seem to be a little different, but to be safe I would do the same with them. It may not be necessary, but it can't hurt to do it. Considering the cost of the tires, I would prefer to do all I could do to get the most life out of them.

I am by no means an expert as I just purchased my first set of race tires, so keep that in mind.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:51 AM

I sent an e-mail to Hoosier for clarification. I think the A05s require the initial heatcycle/cure period, it looks to me like the A6 does not. With the longevity of the V710, I would think Hoosier would be doing whatever they can to increase the life of their new tires.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:25 AM

I emailed Hoosier about the S05 heat cycling and have yet to get a response. They did respond to a separate email about tire mounting. Let me know what they say.