S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Heat managment in high stress situations

Old 08-06-2002, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat managment in high stress situations

A couple of guys were discussing the advantages/disadvantages of high-revving low torque engines compared to lower revving high torque engines.

One new point that was interesting was someone sayint that high revving engines like the S2000 engine (and other stock Honda engines) are unable to sustain high revving for many laps on a track. Have any of you experienced overheating in abusive tracking situations for long periods? Where does the heat build up and what are the solutions?

It was proposed that a lower revving, more torquey engine, coupled with taller gearing would be able to match the performance and not overheat.

Thanks for any insight
Old 08-06-2002, 03:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't tell this to any of the folks running F1, CART, IRL, 24 hour races, etc. They might have a slight disagreement...
Old 08-06-2002, 03:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think heat management is about displacement or rpm.. so many BTU's are generated and so many must be dissipated.. big engine or little, 1000 rpm or 10,000 rpm.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:04 AM

Yeah, I don't think cdelena had any issues staying cool in 130 degree track temps. Well his car anyway. He looked like a melted puddle of ice cream this weekend.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, though jguerdat's reply was a bit sarcastic I think.

Isn't it resonable to assume that a higher revving engine has more heat to dissipate though?

From the replies so far it appears that the S2000s do not have this problem. The local Civic guys say they have experienced some overheating doing 8-10 laps of the Sepang F1 track up in Malaysia.

Led me to wonder which other stock Honda model experiences this.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2002, 07:57 AM

No, you can't make that association. Heat is a direct result of horsepower and the mechanical efficiency of the engine.

Overheating is the result of a cooling system not designed to efficiently remove the heat generated. Many stock cooling systems were not designed to handle racing situations

Problems with high revs are usually the result of engine components not built to handle the high forces involved from the high rpm. Many stock engines were not made to handle racing situations.

A year or two ago Sport Compact Car ran an article about adding power. After reading it, I realized how much the F20C was designed for sustained high rev situations.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Shaun@SG
Thanks for the replies guys, though jguerdat's reply was a bit sarcastic I think.
Who, me? Nahhh...
Old 08-06-2002, 11:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jguerdat
[B]

Who, me?
Old 08-06-2002, 05:18 PM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

If the question you're asking is whether friction losses are nonlinear versus rpm, then the answer is yes, they are, and it's true that for a given amount of power, a motor turning at higher rpms will create more parasitic heat than one turning fewer rpms. So, ALL ELSE EQUAL, the higher-revving engine is under more stress.

But of course, all else is never equal! Overall engine reliability is a designed feature subject to tradeoffs, the same as HP, displacement, etc. You can easily find instances of big torquey V12s that are completely unreliable (*cough*Jaguars from 1970-1990*cough*), as well as high-revving 4-bangers that seem bulletproof. Good engineers know basically what rpms they will need, and then they simply create an overall design that achieves the required reliability. E.g., they might specify forged components rather than cast, or a different weight oil, or whatever. After all, in the end, both high-revving and low-revving production engines have to be warranted!

John
Old 08-06-2002, 05:30 PM

what's the mystery. more rpm's equals more hp. if u want lots of power from an engine, but need it to be small and light, u build it to rev high. if u the want it to last, u design, engineer and manufacture it properly....and thats what you get.

Quick Reply: Heat managment in high stress situations