S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Help! Brake overheating. Need BBK?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Go to urge designs website and look at their AP racing kits essex brake kit
Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jst2878
Go to urge designs website and look at their AP racing kits essex brake kit
I 2nd this. This kit is super nice. Replacement rings are reasonable.

Just my .02 but if your melting pads and experiencing overheating the spoons might not be up to the task. They still use the same rotor and pads. A BBK has more surface area and better cooling with the rotors which will help.

From a cost standpoint I believe there isn't much difference between a new spoon caliper set and the stop tech full kit. There were a few group buys on the stop tech kits recently as well.

Please update this once you make a decision and let us know what the outcome was.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i know its not the most popular kit yet.... but i recomend looking at the buddyclub big brake kit.. ive had it on our race car for 2 complete races and 1 s2k challenge track day.. this kit is awesome. really like it. uses common repacement pads. I just picked up a few sets of the club racer pad i like soo much.

this setup is very similar to some of the bigger name brake companies everyone already knows and loves.. with a lesser price tag..

we have a special relationship with buddyclub for great pricing. we can get just about any bbk for the s2000.. but we definetly recomend taking a look at the buddyclub kit.. for what its worth.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sibelian
Im not that dumb with mechanical

My big question is.. spoon or stoptech. And how much will it have more resistence on heat compare to stock..
Old 04-07-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sibelian
My big question is.. spoon or stoptech. And how much will it have more resistence on heat compare to stock..
i don't think Spoon caliper can be compared with a full BBK.
BBK's rotor is bigger and have directional vanes - so it should dissipate heat way better.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW Ive been extremely happy with the Stoptech BBK. Aside from the usual benefits of a consistent pedal and no fade with XP10s even at a track like Laguna Seca, pads are lasting roughly 4 times as long and rings will likely last for 20-40 track days before cracking all the way through.

Sounds like you would be better off with the added thermal capacity of a BBK over the Spoons. Don't think you could go wrong with either the essex AP kit or Stoptech.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my attention towards to Stoptech BBK now... i will have to source out the rims now to clear my kit !

once i do the bbk set up and test at the track will let you know how things went

Thanks for the all the help !
Old 04-07-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Lots of good BBK options out there. Another option is Spoon calipers with 2-piece OEM size rotors. Girodisk have some great 2-piece rotors that should be available soon with much more reasonable ring replacement costs than most BBKs.

As most have stated, the overheating problem starts with the rotors, better calipers and ducting can help fight it, but a rotor that does better with the heat is the first problem to solve I think. Great to know that people are getting great results from BBKs.

The pistons on the Essex AP kit are definitely a great benefit. But that kit doesn't use larger diameter rotors, just rotors with more thickness.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

so who has the best price for a stoptech bbk? I've found the 328x28mm rotor with st-40 calipers and SS lines for around 1600$ shipped.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to go with spoon since i have too many parts need to be gone plus the two sets of rims that could clear spoon but not stoptech

sw388 is too hot for me not to use it.

so i ordered the spoon caliper and will be running with two piece rotor

let's see how it goes and also will have to customize the brake ducting more efficient way. thinking of running two front and one rear

Thanks guys !

Quick Reply: Help! Brake overheating. Need BBK?