S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

How much power for reliable track setup?

Old 06-19-2017, 08:09 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ddess
I had an accusump installed when I was NA. It was mounted in front of the motor on the frame. Now the supercharger sits there and I didn't feel comfortable mounting it in the trunk. I ran it with a Mugen baffle pan. Since my car sits for weeks if not months I liked the idea of the pre oiling the accusump provided.
I ran across this comment on Accusump and oil pans in another thread. It is from Canton, which makes the Accusump and an S2000 oil pan with trapdoors.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra.../#post22761499

Originally Posted by Canton Racing Products
Correct, we always suggest using a well baffled oil pan as a first line of defense. Most of the time the baffled oil pan will be able to handle the oiling issues. However, even with the best pan you will eventually get to the point where the forces on the oil and the requirements of the oiling system just can't keep up and that's when the Accusump kicks in. It is also a good idea to pre-oil your motor and also as a backup in case you have a catastrophic failure in your oiling system. You can wire a light into the epc valve so you know when the Accusump is discharging. We actually had a customer do that in his NSX and it saved him a motor. He went off the track and ended up leaking oil all over the place. So he watched the light and after about 20 seconds he realized the oil pressure wasn't coming back so he shut the car off and saved himself a motor.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:18 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
I must have tempted fate by starting this thread, because since then my "reliable" supercharged s2k has cost me 3 track days. First the mount on one of the pulleys fell apart, then the idler pulley siezed and welded itself to the new mount, and then the supercharger belt blew.

The first two problems seem to be because there was a spacer not installed when the SC was installed, so I am hoping that's the case.

The SC belt lasted me a year and was showing signs of wear so not replacing it in time is my fault.

I recently switched to a lightweight flywheel, does anyone think that could be cause of some of these issues?
The light flywheel was not the cause. Pulley bearings do wear out and when they do they lock up and can create some havoc, thats all that appears to have happened here. Its happened to me, although i just melted the plastic pulley and lost the belt.

In regard to this thread, I run a Trackforged weld in baffle/slosh plate in my stock pan. Its some added peace of mind, even if it only prevents some of the situations that can cause oil starvation. Better then not having anything I say.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 06-19-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:07 PM
pkh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
The light flywheel was not the cause. Pulley bearings do wear out and when they do they lock up and can create some havoc, thats all that appears to have happened here. Its happened to me, although i just melted the plastic pulley and lost the belt.

In regard to this thread, I run a Trackforged weld in baffle/slosh plate in my stock pan. Its some added peace of mind, even if it only prevents some of the situations that can cause oil starvation. Better then not having anything I say.
Thanks! also I should mention I have a Moroso baffle with trap door welded into stock pan. Is there any indication you are losing oil pressure in corners with stock gauges?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:49 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by pkh
Thanks! also I should mention I have a Moroso baffle with trap door welded into stock pan. Is there any indication you are losing oil pressure in corners with stock gauges?
I dont run a pressure gauge, but on track ive never seen the stock oil light come on, no. I dont know exactly what G forces my car generates, but im sure over a 1G with the tires I run.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:49 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
The only indication would be when oil pressure gets dangerously low it will drop out of vtec.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:13 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I dont run a pressure gauge, but on track ive never seen the stock oil light come on, no. I dont know exactly what G forces my car generates, but im sure over a 1G with the tires I run.
You are, with big aero and NT01s I sustain 1.4G in the carousel at the Ridge and peak at 1.7g into turn 2. I have a Moroso weld in baffle and have never seen oil pressure drop on track either.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:43 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by sirbikealot7
You are, with big aero and NT01s I sustain 1.4G in the carousel at the Ridge and peak at 1.7g into turn 2. I have a Moroso weld in baffle and have never seen oil pressure drop on track either.
Well thats good to know, since i'm very likely not exceeding the G you are, if even matching. Im assuming your running a typical 255 squared set up.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Well thats good to know, since i'm very likely not exceeding the G you are, if even matching. Im assuming your running a typical 255 squared set up.
Yes sir, 255x4, you going on the baker drive tomorrow?
Old 06-23-2017, 04:16 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by sirbikealot7
Yes sir, 255x4, you going on the baker drive tomorrow?
Not totally sure yet. Wish the meet time/location wasn't so damn early. Nothing I love better then waking up at 5:30am on a Saturday!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not totally sure yet. Wish the meet time/location wasn't so damn early. Nothing I love better then waking up at 5:30am on a Saturday!
C'mon Junky. Just like old times. Cept my car is slow now :-(

Quick Reply: How much power for reliable track setup?