S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

How to strap down the s2000 on a flat bed

Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to strap down the s2000 on a flat bed

Hi, I'm looking for some advice.

I need to trailer my s2000 about 900 miles. I read older posts saying to use R hooks and some say to use J hooks. Which do I use? Are these also the miniature hooks? Also, anyone have any pictures of the holes that the hooks go into? I read that "The front points are roughly below the mirrors. The rear points are about 6 inches in front of the rear tires. You want to have your tie downs running as directly fore/aft as possible."

How do you guys hook up the hooks to the straps?

Also, I think I need to go get some 2x4's and 2x6's to help load the car up the ramp cause I don't the s2000 can go up without damaging the front bumper.

I already moved my 1970 Fiat 500 by wraping the straps around the lower control arms. It was only 1100 lbs compared to 2900 lbs.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 05:51 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I normally trailer mine using Axle straps over the rear lower control arms, and though the front wheels. Now I do have a 36" axle strap for that. We used to use a 24" axle over the front lower control arm.

As for loading the car, that is your call.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strapping down a car from control arms is never a good idea and also the wrong way of strapping a car down.

Use designated hook points on the chassis under the car & for added security you can strap from the wheel.

Over time you will bend control arms, might not seem like much but just imagine you tightening one strap more than the other.... More stress is on the one arm, combines with 900 miles of towing bouncing up & down.

This goes for towing an S and loading it onto a flatbed. Never let the tow driver J hook it to pull it up or use control arms as a tie down point.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FilthyAp2
Strapping down a car from control arms is never a good idea and also the wrong way of strapping a car down.
I'd never heard anyone say that before, but something to think about: last year I set my car's rear camber to -2.2 degrees, then tied it down to a trailer by its control arms to tow it to the San Diego National Tour. When I got to San Diego, I found the car had near-uncontrollable oversteer; when I got it back on a rack, I found that I could no longer get more than -1.8 degrees of camber. I can't think of an explanation for my disappearing camber adjustment range other than that the control arms or adjustment bolts got bent in transit. I plan to tie my car down by its wheels from now on.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Wheels straps/basket straps.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Towing...-Car-Tie-Downs
Old 04-03-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The correct way to tie down an S2K to a trailer is with R hooks. The holes in the sides in front of the rear wheels and behind the front wheels are designed specifically for these.

Use high capacity ratchet straps and proper anchor points on the trailer like D rings. Use at least 3 wraps on the ratchets and make sure they are locked closed. Make sure to take it out of gear.

Never use the control arms. That is a very bad idea.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 PM

I use the R hooks (http://www.awdirect.com/tie-down-hooks-ca15/hooks/). The oval shaped tie down holes in the chassis are covered up by a rubber cap.

As others have pointed out, those are the correct tie down locations provided by Honda. I wouldn't use any other method for towing my car more then a few miles.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Originally Posted by FilthyAp2' timestamp='1333474441' post='21571663
I'd never heard anyone say that before, but something to think about: last year I set my car's rear camber to -2.2 degrees, then tied it down to a trailer by its control arms to tow it to the San Diego National Tour. When I got to San Diego, I found the car had near-uncontrollable oversteer; when I got it back on a rack, I found that I could no longer get more than -1.8 degrees of camber. I can't think of an explanation for my disappearing camber adjustment range other than that the control arms or adjustment bolts got bent in transit. I plan to tie my car down by its wheels from now on.
I worked as a tow driver hauling for CHP & Sheriff for about year. Seen many cars come into the yard with bent control arms because drivers would hook the j hooks to control arms.

You are basically pulling you're arms apart while trying to secure the car.

Not sure if this applies to privately towed cars but tow trucks require a 6 point tie down in CA.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had TCDesign weld loops to the subframe so tying down the car is easy and quick.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Vodoo, which of the 4 hooks on the page are the correct ones?

Quick Reply: How to strap down the s2000 on a flat bed