S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Is a HPDE worth the $$

Old 09-03-2010, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop now while you can!

I took my first toke from the go-fast crack pipe in August 2004, and was immediately addicted.

I did more track days; I autocrossed.

Then track days started getting a bit boring (the rules of engagement around here are really gentle).

So, now I've been club racing for three plus years.

Just think how much fatter my bank account would be with all the money I've spent on this addiction.

I'm already planning my next race....

ps--I still autocross occasionally; autocross is an entirely different experience, but it's the best, safest way to learn your car's limits.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't start if you value your wallet

2 hrs of track time is more than you think... remember that both you AND your car need to cool down. Very few people can stay fully focused for 2 hours straight
Old 09-03-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Sep 3 2010, 03:45 PM
If this is your goal:

...then this isn't true:

...as you likely won't (intentionally) get anywhere as near to your car's limits at your first track day as you would at an autocross.

Regardless, by all means go for it -- track days are fun.
Agreed. Also, I believe that HPDE's vs autocross being "better" is/are a HUGE matter of opinion. If you want to reach higher speeds, go for HPDE's. It's really awesome doing triple digits in to a braking zone. That said, if you want to really learn how to control your car at the absolute limit, do autocross. Personally, for a massive driving challenge, I prefer autoX. Both are tremendous fun....but in an autocross environment you can compete against top drivers on equal footing. In an HPDE you're just doing laps and navigating traffic, but again the speeds are higher and you do get more "seat time." The question is how valuable that seat time is...so use it wisely.

On a side note, I find that there is A LOT of ego on most track days...always a result of a weaker driver being insecure about his own skill level. See the "Flat Out" video . Be wary of the people that think because they do 10 HPDE's a year that they are a good driver, or think that autocross is a "lower" form of motorsport. A lot of newbies get caught up in this idea. Perhaps it's because a lot of people struggle to do autocross at a very high level...the skill set is much different and very challenging from a car control perspective because of the transitions.

Anyway, just keep a cool head, have a blast and keep the mindset that you are "always learning." Have fun.

Cheers,

Nick
Old 09-03-2010, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ben22,Sep 3 2010, 05:37 PM
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty. ~ Peter Egan
Nitpick, but HPDE != racing, and people who don't realize that tend to cause trouble for themselves or others.

Originally Posted by Forcednduckshn,Sep 3 2010, 06:31 PM
Be wary of the people that think because they do 10 HPDE's a year that they are a good driver, or think that autocross is a "lower" form of motorsport.
Whenever I call out someone on a forum for ranting about how lame autocross is, it soon comes out that they're not very good at autocrossing. Coincidence? You be the judge.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:17 PM

I concur, track is crack...

No reason why you can't do both track and autox. Autox is cheaper, and if it floats your boat you can do more of them. Either way, just be ready for the sucking sound of your dollars leaving your wallet.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:53 PM

The best way to become a millionaire in car racing, is to start with two million.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 PM

Oh wow I was worried about the becoming addicted part. I already have too many hobbies fighting for my spare cash...

I have always wanted to do one of these events just to see what it is about, but another concern I have is where its at. I mean its at the Milwaukee Mile which would be fun and fast but I only live 35 minutes from Road America and I know that there are events there every year. I think Road America would be a much more fun track to run on. I'm undecided as of right now. If I go I will report back on my new addiction LOL

Thanks for the responses.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by FatfreeS2k,Sep 3 2010, 08:22 PM
Oh wow I was worried about the becoming addicted part. I already have too many hobbies fighting for my spare cash...

I have always wanted to do one of these events just to see what it is about, but another concern I have is where its at. I mean its at the Milwaukee Mile which would be fun and fast but I only live 35 minutes from Road America and I know that there are events there every year. I think Road America would be a much more fun track to run on. I'm undecided as of right now. If I go I will report back on my new addiction LOL

Thanks for the responses.
MVP tracktime will be at Road America in Oct. I have run with them once and highly recommend driving with them there.

If they provide an instructor (I am sure that they do) make sure you get one. They will be full of helpful advice! It is a pretty cheap cost compared to most organizations for RA too!

http://www.mvptracktime.com/id25.html
Old 09-04-2010, 05:17 AM

Go ahead and do it. If you have too many hobbies now then this will for sure help you get out of all those other hobbies and concentrate on one! See, we just bought you a lot of extra time. I hope you're at the track right now.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Richard EVO,Sep 3 2010, 09:53 PM
The best way to become a millionaire in car racing, is to start with two million.
Best line I've seen in a while. I've placed that in my signature if you don't mind. I'm not racing yet, working up to it.

Quick Reply: Is a HPDE worth the $$