S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Introducing the FPSpëc Long-Stroke Öhlins DFV

Old 01-21-2017, 01:30 AM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Very nice. Did you work with Ohlins on the longer rear damper bodies? What exactly was changed? Also what is the reasoning behind the different lower mounts for the front dampers?
We did. They are genuine Ohlins DFV's... internals, externals, pistons, etc... just a physically longer DFV shock cartridge!

For the lower front mounts... again we start with literally raw DFV damper cartridges, which allows us to valve to spec and fill with Ohlins Race Oil as opposed to the standard oil (it's fantastic stuff, and ride quality is buttery smooth). Since we start with only the shock bodies, we had to engineer everything around them... the stamped steel sheet metal forks are well, just that, an affordable production piece meant to be cranked out for the masses. The all billet fork we produce is stronger, flexes less, has higher tolerances, and is lighter. The rear lower mounts on the other hand are made to scavenge every last millimeter so we could squeeze the longest possible shock body in the rear... you'll never need any more stroke than we've now got, and it also allows you to run helper/assist springs for even more droop travel as well as helping traction for the inside wheel in cornering.

Our goal here was to leave no stone unturned and make the best damn DFV setup that we could, rivaling suspension setups costing literally twice as much. Maximum performance at minimal cost, that can be built completely to spec was the goal here, and after driving on them during tuning and testing in the last few months, I can state (in an honestly unbiased way) that they are absolutely PHENOMENAL.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:33 AM
Sponsor

Thumbs up

Very nice. Did you work with Ohlins on the longer rear damper bodies? What exactly was changed? Also what is the reasoning behind the different lower mounts for the front dampers?
The rear damper stroke has been increased by 22mm (74 to 96mm including the bumpstop), they were designed by Öhlins. To fit a longer damper the low profile billet fork is needed due to the longer nature of the damper. Even with the longer damper, the low-profile fork is able to lower the car well past any sensible ride height while also giving the ability to raise the car to above stock ride height. The front fork was changed to better match the styling of the rest of the kit while being stiffer and lighter.

The goal of this kit was to provide a zero compromise suspension system for the s2000 community, obviously this isn't for everyone as the cost to make of all this is significantly higher. Öhlins did a fantastic job packing the massive amount of performance into a very obtainable price point, FPSpëc takes the incredible DFV damper technology to the next level with top tier supporting components.

Edit: Well I guess Heath and I both wanted to respond...

Last edited by SakeBomb Garage; 01-21-2017 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything looks really good. How much does the helper spring option add to the cost?
The following users liked this post:
SakeBomb Garage (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

This is so sexy. Thank you guys for putting in the effort that you are for this platform.

Whenever I'm ready for the next set of coilovers I know exactly who I'm coming to talk to...
The following users liked this post:
SakeBomb Garage (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 09:00 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by JSL757
Everything looks really good. How much does the helper spring option add to the cost?
$135/ axle. We reccomend anything past 12k to run front helpers and switch to 6" main springs (a requirement on the s2000 to clear the UCA)
to best locate bumpstops. On the rear past we reccomend a 4-6k assist spring to soften up the inside rear to improve mid corner stability and traction on corner exit. The rear also should be switched to a 6" main spring to run an assist spring as you run out of adjustment room on the spring perch otherwise.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:23 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
We did. They are genuine Ohlins DFV's... internals, externals, pistons, etc... just a physically longer DFV shock cartridge!

For the lower front mounts... again we start with literally raw DFV damper cartridges, which allows us to valve to spec and fill with Ohlins Race Oil as opposed to the standard oil (it's fantastic stuff, and ride quality is buttery smooth). Since we start with only the shock bodies, we had to engineer everything around them... the stamped steel sheet metal forks are well, just that, an affordable production piece meant to be cranked out for the masses. The all billet fork we produce is stronger, flexes less, has higher tolerances, and is lighter. The rear lower mounts on the other hand are made to scavenge every last millimeter so we could squeeze the longest possible shock body in the rear... you'll never need any more stroke than we've now got, and it also allows you to run helper/assist springs for even more droop travel as well as helping traction for the inside wheel in cornering.

Our goal here was to leave no stone unturned and make the best damn DFV setup that we could, rivaling suspension setups costing literally twice as much. Maximum performance at minimal cost, that can be built completely to spec was the goal here, and after driving on them during tuning and testing in the last few months, I can state (in an honestly unbiased way) that they are absolutely PHENOMENAL.
The rear damper stroke has been increased by 22mm (74 to 96mm including the bumpstop), they were designed by Öhlins. To fit a longer damper the low profile billet fork is needed due to the longer nature of the damper. Even with the longer damper, the low-profile fork is able to lower the car well past any sensible ride height while also giving the ability to raise the car to above stock ride height. The front fork was changed to better match the styling of the rest of the kit while being stiffer and lighter.

The goal of this kit was to provide a zero compromise suspension system for the s2000 community, obviously this isn't for everyone as the cost to make of all this is significantly higher. Öhlins did a fantastic job packing the massive amount of performance into a very obtainable price point, FPSpëc takes the incredible DFV damper technology to the next level with top tier supporting components.

Edit: Well I guess Heath and I both wanted to respond...
Thanks for both responses, very thorough. And trust me I agree completely on the quality of the DFVs. I am on my second DFV setup with unique valving so always interested in seeing what you guys are up to with them. I can't really say I have any real complaints with my current 13kg/13kg setup and valving, but it is good to see all the little optimizations being made.

Are the top mounts and supporting bits Ohlins pieces as well? All of that looks perfect to me.

Being very picky I think my only main critiques would be on the quality of the edges on the billet lower mounts. I know I am being very picky but it would be nice to see the chamfers on the hard edges be just a little more refined. Just comparing to other billet suspension parts I have seen.

I would also say I don't think it is really worth it to paint the Swift springs, as it just adds costs while losing the labeled rate on the springs. Personally I prefer the orange Swift spring look myself anyway, but might as well give people the option to save that extra cost.

And on the topic of color if the Ohlins anodized gold can be matched just a little bit closer. I know matching an anodized color is very tricky though so it is what it is.
Overall great to see someone taking this step that I always wished Ohlins would have taken to offer a slightly higher end version of the DFV.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:26 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

$135/ axle. We reccomend anything past 12k to run front helpers and switch to 6" main springs (a requirement on the s2000 to clear the UCA)
to best locate bumpstops. On the rear past we reccomend a 4-6k assist spring to soften up the inside rear to improve mid corner stability and traction on corner exit. The rear also should be switched to a 6" main spring to run an assist spring as you run out of adjustment room on the spring perch otherwise.
I run 13k front springs (normal length 8" for the DFV Swift springs) without helpers and have no clearance issues with front UCA. Curious what clearance issues you guys are seeing?

Edit: NVM. I am guessing you are referring to switching to 6" springs when using helpers which that makes sense.

Last edited by andrewhake; 01-23-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:06 PM
Sponsor

I run 13k front springs (normal length 8" for the DFV Swift springs) without helpers and have no clearance issues with front UCA. Curious what clearance issues you guys are seeing?

Edit: NVM. I am guessing you are referring to switching to 6" springs when using helpers which that makes sense.
careful with running a 13k front spring without a helper Andrew. At about 12-13k (depending on wheel choice and fender treatment) you can't get a sensible front ride height without the bumpstop being so high that it doesn't protect the fender from contact. We generally advise nothing more than 12k without a helper spring on the front (conviently this is also about the limit of standard valving so most people don't want to push past that anyway).
Old 01-23-2017, 08:58 PM
Sponsor

Thanks for both responses, very thorough. And trust me I agree completely on the quality of the DFVs. I am on my second DFV setup with unique valving so always interested in seeing what you guys are up to with them. I can't really say I have any real complaints with my current 13kg/13kg setup and valving, but it is good to see all the little optimizations being made.

Are the top mounts and supporting bits Ohlins pieces as well? All of that looks perfect to me.

Being very picky I think my only main critiques would be on the quality of the edges on the billet lower mounts. I know I am being very picky but it would be nice to see the chamfers on the hard edges be just a little more refined. Just comparing to other billet suspension parts I have seen.

I would also say I don't think it is really worth it to paint the Swift springs, as it just adds costs while losing the labeled rate on the springs. Personally I prefer the orange Swift spring look myself anyway, but might as well give people the option to save that extra cost.

And on the topic of color if the Ohlins anodized gold can be matched just a little bit closer. I know matching an anodized color is very tricky though so it is what it is.
Overall great to see someone taking this step that I always wished Ohlins would have taken to offer a slightly higher end version of the DFV.

The pictures set is a one off prototype, so please ignore the chamfers etc. on the fork, they are not production pieces. The production pieces are much nicer and also anodized to match the spring perches at top . The production pieces in orange ano also matches Though even Ohlins own orange tophats vs lower cups don't match many times, and change color from batch to batch .

As far as the springs go, again, these are pre-production pieces and the production versions will have the swift logo and rate on them... not to worry. It's also a ZERO cost sort of thing as we do lots of volume with many top end manufacturers, we can have custom things done for us that are not available elsewhere. We care about aesthetics as much as we care about performance... they go hand in hand and we go the extra mile where other manufacturers and distributors literally phone it in. Maybe this doesn't exist in the S2000 community, but we do what we do because we LOVE these cars, not from financial motives to try to "push products" on customers. We are honest to god, true car enthusiasts... not businessmen that happen to like cars.

Last edited by SakeBomb Garage; 01-23-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend runs 3k helper spring on their car. I am confused as to why a 4-6K helper spring is recommended and how does that work to help improve mid corner stability and traction on corner exit. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Introducing the FPSpëc Long-Stroke Öhlins DFV