S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Kenny Sorensen

Old 05-06-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kenny Sorensen

I have some very sad news everyone. Kenny Sorensen passed away this past Friday, May 3rd. I am not sure of the cause of death but I know he died in his home in Prince Frederick, Maryland. I am assuming it was heart related but I am not sure of that. I am shocked by this sudden and tragic news. For those of us racing with him just last weekend in Dover at the National Tour there, it is particularly surprising since it was just last weekend and he was happy, healthy, and ready to race. I talked with him about co-driving with me at the DC Pro and such.

For those of you that did not know Kenny, he was a regular competitor in the DC area autocross scene. He could also be found at quite a few National events, often driving his ESP Camaro or more recently, driving Alan Posner's Boxter. He was national champion, a fierce competitor, and a true friend. He could usually be found quite easily since he usually had something very, very bright orange on. And he always had an even brighter smile. He is survived by his wife of 31 years, Elizabeth, as well as a son and two grandchildren.

During the event in Dover last weekend, Kenny's co-driver Alan had a bit of a health scare due, I believe, to high blood pressure so it is ironic that he and I spent a good bit of time there talking about our health and that we are not getting any younger. He had some heart trouble in the past so we talked about how he was riding his bike almost daily, eating better, taking his meds, etc. I talked about how I had struggled with smoking for a very long time but have finally kicked the habit.

It is terrible news but I thought everyone here should know. Rest in Peace Kenny! You will be missed!

Below is a link with more info:

http://bit.ly/Yq5S5L

Steve
Old 05-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Terrible news. He was a really nice guy and I remember him from the past few years in B-stock.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks. I didn't know him personally, but time and time again I saw his name in the results in that Boxster and was perplexed about how he was able to get it around the cones so fast. He was a heck of a driver, and I'm sorry to hear of his untimely passing.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:55 AM

I was told about this last week and got more info on it from some of his closer friends. I reposted a picture of him from Danny Kao and posted about it on facebook. I have known Kenny for years now, raced against each other in BS many times, and he was gridded next to me at the Dover tour a couple of weeks ago. We hung out and talked for a while on both days. He appeared to be in perfect health and great spirits. He was an awesome dude, one of those guys you see and talk to and it's like he's a member of your family that you only get to see on special occasions. I was shocked and very sad when I heard of his passing. Solo 2 has lost an awesome human being and a very talented driver. He'll never be forgotten and I'll be racing at the DC Pro Solo with his memory on my mind.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:33 AM

I heard about this early Sat. morning. I was and still am completely shocked by the news. In Dover, we had much of the same coversations as Steve mentioned. I had an open seat for the Pro and we talked about him codriving as Alan couldn't make it to DC that weekend. When I got up on Saturday and started putting my plans together for the weekend, one of my first things I thought about was calling Kenny to confirm. I hopped on facebook a few minutes later only to get the news via message. I was stunned, like Steve said, Kenny was improving his health (wishing he had brought his bike so he could go for a long ride after our early finish times) and seemed to be doing very well. I've known him for several years of running in the Mid Atlantic and only recently got to know him more, we have lost a truely great competitor, and great person.

RIP Kenny