S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Lap belt mounting on a PCI mount

Old 03-27-2018, 10:24 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LeonV
I haven't mounted the subs and lap belts yet, planning to do that any day now. I did do my research and spoke with Schroth to make sure the plan is valid. The 01324 will be used for both laps and subs and mount to the PCI bracket and OEM belt mounting, i.e. no cutting or drilling of the body. It's not yet a proof of concept but it's the plan of record at this point. The goal is to install the belts before my next event on 4/7.
Ok, I might do the same, I am not a big fan of drilling holes. I might leave the eyebolt on the outer OEM hole though, it seems to fit well so IDK if there is a real reason to do the 01324 on both?
Old 03-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by roel03
Are you bolting your sub belt to the seat bracket mounting locations?
I plan to use the bracket. I know some have concerns over using the seat bracket, but PCI designed the bracket for this purpose. My only concern was the eye bolt on the tunnel side, but it seems the solution is that part linked.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another safety concern I thought with bolting to seat bracket is if the bolts holding down the seat fail in an accident then your flying off with the seat compared to if it were hard mounted to chassis.

The first was as you mentioned above that the seat bracket mounting locations for the harnesses could fail as well.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Xene
Another safety concern I thought with bolting to seat bracket is if the bolts holding down the seat fail in an accident then your flying off with the seat compared to if it were hard mounted to chassis.

The first was as you mentioned above that the seat bracket mounting locations for the harnesses could fail as well.
You have shoulder harnesses that connect to a harness bar & the outside lap belt so not all of your force is into the seat. In any case if your body generates enough force to break the bolts on the seat I think you are done for regardless. They make the bracket to be bolted to and I want to say NASCAR actually bolts to their seat. IMO it isn’t anymore dangerous than drilling between your fuel lines
Old 03-28-2018, 07:44 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz

You have shoulder harnesses that connect to a harness bar & the outside lap belt so not all of your force is into the seat. In any case if your body generates enough force to break the bolts on the seat I think you are done for regardless. They make the bracket to be bolted to and I want to say NASCAR actually bolts to their seat. IMO it isn’t anymore dangerous than drilling between your fuel lines
I wouldn't call those two cases equivalent. Just because they make the bracket to be bolted to, doesn't mean that's the right way of doing something. Without knowing the analysis and testing, if any, they did on the bracket for those cases. Bolting to the seat bracket isn't nearly as safe as bolting to the car using proper backing plates. You are putting everything on the bracket which has now become a single point of failure.

In my opinion, if you do something do it right, especially when it concerns safety in a dangerous sport. What difference does drilling a few holes really matter in the grande scheme of things
things.

Your post has a few ignorant/incorrect suggestions.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:02 AM

So you think drilling between the fuel lines doesn’t come with safety risks? Have you looked into the thickness of the metal on the OEM body and the resulting strength of using it with a backing plate vs the PCI bracket? You seem to be making a lot of assumptions and claims with no data beyond “it is how everyone else has done it”.

And you always have a single failure point, the single bolt holding the harness to whatever you bolt to. I am not sure how a seat bracket with 4 bolts becomes the “single failure point”.

I think your last comment is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:16 AM

You're welcome to proceed however you'd like, I'm just giving you my two cents. I design things like this for a living so I tend to be on the more conservative side. Unrelated comparisons to Nascar and OEM mounting don't work for me, as the system is completely different. I would follow instructions from harness manufacturers much closer than a PCI mount.

There is a lot of qualification testing that comes with being FIA/DOT approved. I doubt PCI has done any destructive testing on their mounts. Have they run the load case of an accident on their sub mounts? By reading "we can achieve the same strength if not more" in their description I know they have no real evidence to back anything up.

I'm not saying don't use their mount, I just don't think you should also attach your harnesses to it.

Also, make sure the shear strength of the eyebolts for your lap belts are equivalent to OEM.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by roel03
You're welcome to proceed however you'd like, I'm just giving you my two cents. I design things like this for a living so I tend to be on the more conservative side. Unrelated comparisons to Nascar and OEM mounting don't work for me, as the system is completely different. I would follow instructions from harness manufacturers much closer than a PCI mount.

There is a lot of qualification testing that comes with being FIA/DOT approved. I doubt PCI has done any destructive testing on their mounts. Have they run the load case of an accident on their sub mounts? By reading "we can achieve the same strength if not more" in their description I know they have no real evidence to back anything up.

I'm not saying don't use their mount, I just don't think you should also attach your harnesses to it.

Also, make sure the shear strength of the eyebolts for your lap belts are equivalent to OEM.
i appreciate this type of comment much more than your prior, it is more productive

I have found this to be very informative and helpful:

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/attach...stallation.pdf
Old 03-28-2018, 08:41 AM

I apologize if I ever come off across as a jerk. I have a very blunt personality. If you ever met me I'm one of the nicest guys when you can see my enthusiasm but on forums and texting I seem like an ass.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where do people buy the eyebolt with high shear strength that bolts into the oem lap seat belt location on outside? I know it is an M10 1.25 eye bolt. But pretty sure buying one at home depot won't be safe lol.

Quick Reply: Lap belt mounting on a PCI mount