S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Left Foot Braking in AutoX

Old 09-27-2003, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Foot Braking in AutoX

Just had a thought...

I always wondered how LF braking could/could not help me during Solo 2 environments.

Here's my thought... the track layout sometimes spread the cones out giving those big power cars that can pull hard in 2nd at lower speeds a big advantage. For me, the layout is too fast for 1st gear, but out of VTEC power in 2nd.

Since LF braking is commonly applied to boosted cars (and some NA), I was wondering if anyone used LF braking techniques in a S2000 with a stock final drive in order to stay in VTEC while controlling the braking effect.

Any input based on experience would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on trying this out during fun runs next month.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe many of the really fast guys left foot brake. I know one of the fast guys in my region does. I've personally tried but have yet to perfect it. I've got the feel down now, but tend to hold the brakes on a little to long at time. Since we rarely have to shift it's got to be an asset. If you read this months F1 magazine, they discuss how all of the younger drivers (and MS amongst the older set) use this, and the way they use it to balance the car, and hold speed into turns. It's the article comparing MS' telemetry to Rubens and I found it a real eye opener to some of the uses of LFB.

Ok I'll say this and duck, but using LFB as a speed technique actually makes SMB look a little appealing - and I LOVE to shift manually.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Well that's the issue with left foot braking isn't it? I used to do it when I auto-x'd and automatic transmission car and I understand the F-1 guys with SMG can do it but I'm not sure it's that effective when you have three pedals to contend with
Old 09-28-2003, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats the other heal-toe. LOL ball of the foot on the brake, blip the clutch. not.

I LFB at auto-x some. It helps bring the front end down and tame the understeer without letting out of the gas and killing all your momentum.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:22 PM

[this was posted by mistake]
Old 09-28-2003, 01:28 PM

Left foot braking can be useful for adjusting the car's balance in corners. It gives you more options since you're using two inputs simultaneously (gas and brake, the latter applied to all four wheels) instead of just one (gas on the drive wheels only). Left foot braking is popular amongst drivers of pushy front wheel drive cars since it's functionally similar to using the handbrake; you're applying more braking force to the rear tires than the front ones, which helps the car rotate. Braking with your left foot can also speed the transition between being on the brakes and being on the gas or vice versa.

I disagree with the contention that left foot braking helps you "stay in VTEC" or "(not) kill all your momentum" in a normally-aspirated car, however. Since there's no slippage between the engine and the drive wheels, if the car slows down, the engine slows down -- this regardless of whether you're initiating that slowdown by braking, lifting, or left foot braking. Turbo cars are different because, since left foot braking maintains a load on the engine, exhaust pressure stays high and consequently so does boost.

Steve
- left foot brake in go-karts (for obvious reasons) but haven't yet figured it out in manual cars
Old 09-28-2003, 08:37 PM

I've started trying it at the track in a particularly slow, sharp turn, to try to help get the car to rotate.

Steve, I'm referring to Pacific Raceways T3b.

It's about a 180
Old 09-29-2003, 07:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tedster
I've started trying it at the track in a particularly slow, sharp turn, to try to help get the car to rotate.

Steve, I'm referring to Pacific Raceways T3b.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Z06-KILLR
Old 09-29-2003, 09:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazik

Quick Reply: Left Foot Braking in AutoX