S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Location of Stock fuel tank

Old 01-08-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Location of Stock fuel tank

Since this question is brought on by me preparing the car for racing use, I need to know where the stock fuel tank is located.
Lets get a few things out of the way first:
1. I know it's behind the driver's seat, and sort of under the shelf between the seat and the trunk.
2. No I do not have the car right now it is at fabrication getting a roll cage installed, and it's too far away to go look at.
3. I've tried searching for this on the internet and can't find any good information or informative pictures.

So I just need to know if there is any part of the tank that is rearward of the centerline of the rear axle(s). The rules allow me to run the oem tank if it is between the frame rails (which I'm pretty sure it is), and is between the centerlines of the front and rear axles. If the tank is not within this location, I have to get a fuel cell. I will probably get a fuel cell in the next few years just for safety's sake, but for now I am just trying to get the car ready for technical inspection. I don't want to be scrambling to find and install a fuel cell, and get the car approved by tech, 3 weeks before the first race. I'm sure you can understand my dilemma. If you can please help me out, that would be AWESOME! Pictures are nice too (even if you have no idea the answer to my question, you can still post a random pic!).

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2015, 04:54 AM

The fuel tank sits directly above the rear diff. A portion of it does sit rearward of the axle center line.

Here is a pic of my first fuel cell setup. I've cut out the floor that covered the stock tank and the picture is taken standing on the trans tunnel, looking down over the rollbar. The rear of the car is at the top of the picture. The four tabs circled in yellow are the mounting points for the stock tank. The red line is the approximate location of the rear axles. They weren't installed in the car when this was taken.

[attachment=71906:fuel cell.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails Location of Stock fuel tank-fuel-cell.jpg  
Old 01-09-2015, 03:16 PM

Well crap. I was hoping I wouldn't have to get a fuel cell, but I guess I should have known better. Ugh.

Well, guess it will be the safest thing I can do, just really don't want to spend the money. First race is at Hallett April 11-12, and I have a LOT of work to do still.

Thank you for answering my question.
P.S. do you ever do autocrosses with SCR-region SCCA? I feel like I've met you before.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by austincrx
Since this question is brought on by me preparing the car for racing use, I need to know where the stock fuel tank is located.
Lets get a few things out of the way first:
1. I know it's behind the driver's seat, and sort of under the shelf between the seat and the trunk.
2. No I do not have the car right now it is at fabrication getting a roll cage installed, and it's too far away to go look at.
3. I've tried searching for this on the internet and can't find any good information or informative pictures.

So I just need to know if there is any part of the tank that is rearward of the centerline of the rear axle(s). The rules allow me to run the oem tank if it is between the frame rails (which I'm pretty sure it is), and is between the centerlines of the front and rear axles. If the tank is not within this location, I have to get a fuel cell. I will probably get a fuel cell in the next few years just for safety's sake, but for now I am just trying to get the car ready for technical inspection. I don't want to be scrambling to find and install a fuel cell, and get the car approved by tech, 3 weeks before the first race. I'm sure you can understand my dilemma. If you can please help me out, that would be AWESOME! Pictures are nice too (even if you have no idea the answer to my question, you can still post a random pic!).

Thanks!
What sanctioning body? Stock tank location is legal for sCCA
Old 01-10-2015, 04:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock tank is also legal for NASA. From what I understand stock tank is considered to be in a "safe" location. I thought this was the general consensus.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:01 PM

It is legal for SCCA Touring and Improved Touring, but not Super Touring (STU). There is no exception in the class rule section.