S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Multi Gauge + Lap Timer ?

Old 08-22-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by imstimpy
My experiences with RCP are similar (I have a MK2). About a year ago I attempted to help improve the logging software and ran into a dictatorship that turned me away. I attempted to do my own thing, but found numerous bugs handling 29-bit CAN. In spite of that, I have used RCP successfully for about two years now. If you are looking for turn-key, look elsewhere.

My work in progress is to add the full Honda protocol to capture data from the ECU at 18Hz. In addition, numerous other data sources are available as raw data over CAN; I have raw engine speed at 25Hz and wheel speeds at 50Hz. It is a slow process trying to A) reverse engineer the CAN data and B) get it integrated into an "open source" device filled with bugs, quirks, and limitations. Regardless, I do have lap times, engine speed, and vehicle speed all displaying on a tablet mounted in the car.
I'd be really interested to see what you've learned if you would want to share. Finding CAN data for this car is almost impossible.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

After some more research, ive concluded a few things:

- Aim Solo DL seems to be a damn good bang for the buck device. It misses one criteria i have and that is it does not allow you to set warning parameters for input signal, like low oil psi.

-Traqmate Traqdash seems awesome. seems to do everything i need it to do. Problem is it is discontinued. If i were even to find a used one for sale, theres no telling how the support for the unit would look like in the future.

-Ive found a couple used Racepak G2X units for sale. Very capable of anything i need and can be configured with pretty much any display unit i desire, but price increases quickly with each added part, like sensors and bluetooth and a tablet for dispaly.

-Racepak Vantage CL1 (another karting logger) seems very cool. allows any tablet or phone for display. Priced very well. Very easy installation. Can have additional sensors added to it. Cool features with live streaming to racepaks cloud service. Has anyone seen this used in a car?

Just ranting and speaking out loud to myself here to organize my thoughts.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:10 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

just to add more confusion

View this post on Instagram
Old 08-24-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AFK-S2K
After some more research, ive concluded a few things:

- Aim Solo DL seems to be a damn good bang for the buck device. It misses one criteria i have and that is it does not allow you to set warning parameters for input signal, like low oil psi.

-Traqmate Traqdash seems awesome. seems to do everything i need it to do. Problem is it is discontinued. If i were even to find a used one for sale, theres no telling how the support for the unit would look like in the future.

-Ive found a couple used Racepak G2X units for sale. Very capable of anything i need and can be configured with pretty much any display unit i desire, but price increases quickly with each added part, like sensors and bluetooth and a tablet for dispaly.

-Racepak Vantage CL1 (another karting logger) seems very cool. allows any tablet or phone for display. Priced very well. Very easy installation. Can have additional sensors added to it. Cool features with live streaming to racepaks cloud service. Has anyone seen this used in a car?

Just ranting and speaking out loud to myself here to organize my thoughts.
I used to have a Racepak G2X and the experience I had with that, and RacePak as a company made me swear off ever using them again. In fact I still have a racepak G2X in the box and i cannot give it away. It has possibly the worst analysis software ive ever used, and only works occasionally. It had been sent back to Racepak 3 times each time they replaced the GPS board and sent it back, it worked in the parking lot, and then got on track and it would go back to randomly dropping signal mid-lap. The 2nd and 3rd times i sent it back to them they tried to charge me for replacing the SAME GPS board they installed a month prior.I borrowed a soloDL once and was immediately sold.

I would run screaming from the G2X in all cases. If the SoloDL is windows 10, the G2X is microsoft bob (if you dont know what that is consider yourself lucky)......

If the only dowside of the solo is the lack of warning lights, get an AIM dash. Most of them take a GPS input and will do everything the solo does but also gives you tons of alerting profiles. I accomplished the same thing using failsafes set in the ECU with the Kpro (oil pressure / temp thresholds that force a rev limiter).
Old 08-25-2017, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
I used to have a Racepak G2X and the experience I had with that, and RacePak as a company made me swear off ever using them again. In fact I still have a racepak G2X in the box and i cannot give it away. It has possibly the worst analysis software ive ever used, and only works occasionally. It had been sent back to Racepak 3 times each time they replaced the GPS board and sent it back, it worked in the parking lot, and then got on track and it would go back to randomly dropping signal mid-lap. The 2nd and 3rd times i sent it back to them they tried to charge me for replacing the SAME GPS board they installed a month prior.I borrowed a soloDL once and was immediately sold.

I would run screaming from the G2X in all cases. If the SoloDL is windows 10, the G2X is microsoft bob (if you dont know what that is consider yourself lucky)......

If the only dowside of the solo is the lack of warning lights, get an AIM dash. Most of them take a GPS input and will do everything the solo does but also gives you tons of alerting profiles. I accomplished the same thing using failsafes set in the ECU with the Kpro (oil pressure / temp thresholds that force a rev limiter).
Thanks for this. I have seen a lot of G2X's for sale and was heavily considering this option. Im going to keep searching out options but i may settle on a solo dl.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:38 AM

Any one have experience with this AIM Solo DL Interface Module?

Interface unit for AIM Solo-DL, for non can-bus and wired sensors,with connector | eBay

I have emailed the guy. He says it allows you to plug in external analog sensors and tap into the oem sensors such as TPS.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Software is far more important than hardware, which is what makes MoTeC king (in addition to their support, reliability, and quality). You get what you pay for, period.

AiM is good. The installation, setup, and software is simplistic and appealing for first-time/entry level data acquisition users. Their analysis software is good but does not compare to MoTeC i2. AiM's the way to go if you're on a budget but MoTeC's hardware and software is far superior.

I use personally use a MoTeC C127 for track testing and product development and an AiM MXL2 for occasional product development.

Facebook Post
Old 09-30-2017, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Unbr3akable
Software is far more important than hardware, which is what makes MoTeC king (in addition to their support, reliability, and quality). You get what you pay for, period.

AiM is good. The installation, setup, and software is simplistic and appealing for first-time/entry level data acquisition users. Their analysis software is good but does not compare to MoTeC i2. AiM's the way to go if you're on a budget but MoTeC's hardware and software is far superior.

I use personally use a MoTeC C127 for track testing and product development and an AiM MXL2 for occasional product development.

www.facebook.com/izzeracing/videos/680235778819087/

I do agree with you. However, being that I have only been to the track 3 times, i dont see the need for MoTec at the moment. Honestly, finding it hard to see the need for an AIM Solo at the moment. But, at the price point of the AIM solo DL + Module, its not a bad bet that will provide some useful feedback (prob all the feedback i would need at my level).

So its either going to be a cost effective setup like the AIM solo Dl, or i may just run a HLT for the moment.

I am really wanting to know if anyone has feed back on this AIM Solo DL Module?

Interface unit for AIM Solo-DL, for non can-bus and wired sensors,with connector | eBay
Old 10-01-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have mychron 5 on my kart. It got GPS and track learning. For the lap timer is perfect. But I'm afraid that is it. It for gokart single cylinder. I'm not sure it will work with 4 cylinders. All the temperature reading are from the thermocouple sensors not OBD.
AiM make many OBD display with lap time. Pricey but good. MSX, GS-dash, Solo. Customer service and warranty is the best.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by zpeed
I have mychron 5 on my kart. It got GPS and track learning. For the lap timer is perfect. But I'm afraid that is it. It for gokart single cylinder. I'm not sure it will work with 4 cylinders. All the temperature reading are from the thermocouple sensors not OBD.
AiM make many OBD display with lap time. Pricey but good. MSX, GS-dash, Solo. Customer service and warranty is the best.
Thanks for the input. MyChron 5 seems super cool. Although Aim has some really awesome dash displays, im not looking for a dash replacement, but something to go next to the steering wheel in the radio mode button area. Price jumps up high with those aim dash's.

Quick Reply: Multi Gauge + Lap Timer ?