S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Multi Gauge + Lap Timer ?

Old 03-27-2018, 07:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead. AFK-S2K did you ever get the AIM solo DL and did you have any issues with it?
Old 03-28-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jp182
Bringing this back from the dead. AFK-S2K did you ever get the AIM solo DL and did you have any issues with it?
I ended up not getting anything. Decided to keep my car simple and just track it.

AIM is coming out with a new Solo DL that looks pretty cool though.

AiM Solo 2/Solo 2 DL
Old 03-29-2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by AFK-S2K
I ended up not getting anything. Decided to keep my car simple and just track it.

AIM is coming out with a new Solo DL that looks pretty cool though.

AiM Solo 2/Solo 2 DL
Yeah I know i'm looking at the DL but wanted to know if it'll work. From what I've heard it should work but it looks like retailers are still awaiting their shipments.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The advice of the two guys in this thread who know their stuff when it comes to datalogging and dashes has been glossed over.

What is your time worth?
What is your engine worth?
How much do you want to develop as a driver?
Old 03-30-2018, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by jp182
Yeah I know i'm looking at the DL but wanted to know if it'll work. From what I've heard it should work but it looks like retailers are still awaiting their shipments.
What is in question to working or not?

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps
The advice of the two guys in this thread who know their stuff when it comes to datalogging and dashes has been glossed over.

What is your time worth?
What is your engine worth?
How much do you want to develop as a driver?
No, I read and analyzed every suggestion made in here. All great suggestions. Each system has its own advantages. Thank you all for the input. Please continue to discuss.
I do agree with your points. I can see hours spent on some of these systems on setup and operating. Not something i want to do.
I believe the Aim Solo DL plus the analog interface i posted previously to really fit the bill as being priced well and still being a powerful device but also should be easy to operate.
But, i think in the mean time ill continue to track with no timer, and just focus on driving.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by AFK-S2K
What is in question to working or not?

No, I read and analyzed every suggestion made in here. All great suggestions. Each system has its own advantages. Thank you all for the input. Please continue to discuss.
I do agree with your points. I can see hours spent on some of these systems on setup and operating. Not something i want to do.
I believe the Aim Solo DL plus the analog interface i posted previously to really fit the bill as being priced well and still being a powerful device but also should be easy to operate.
But, i think in the mean time ill continue to track with no timer, and just focus on driving.
Essentially will i get any engine data logged along with my times via the OBD port
Old 04-01-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll have to forget getting any data from the OBD port on an AP1. Its just too slow. You need a logging dash with enough inputs that all the sensors can be hardwired. That leaves just a few options. A RaceCapture, which is a bit finicky, but probably the cheapest new. A used AIM or Motec dash, which have proven to be reliable and have terrific software for driver analysis. I've seen used CDL3s on eBay for $1000. Its another $110 to unlock the 12 I/O if you find one that isn't already unlocked. Wire it in directly to all the sensors you need. The Motec stuff really is worth the extra coin because of how reliable it is, how easy it is to setup, and because of the software and support.

That add-on sensor kit for the Solo DL seems promising. I'm curious how many extra sensors it allows. For $110, plus the $700 for the DL, that puts it right in line with your budget and the Solo's are great.

Predictive timing is the key to getting faster. Even Harrys Lap Timer with a BT 10hz GPS is well worth it for the drop in lap times.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:17 AM

You'll have to forget getting any data from the OBD port on an AP1. Its just too slow. You need a logging dash with enough inputs that all the sensors can be hardwired. That leaves just a few options. A RaceCapture, which is a bit finicky, but probably the cheapest new. A used AIM or Motec dash, which have proven to be reliable and have terrific software for driver analysis. I've seen used CDL3s on eBay for $1000. Its another $110 to unlock the 12 I/O if you find one that isn't already unlocked. Wire it in directly to all the sensors you need. The Motec stuff really is worth the extra coin because of how reliable it is, how easy it is to setup, and because of the software and support.

That add-on sensor kit for the Solo DL seems promising. I'm curious how many extra sensors it allows. For $110, plus the $700 for the DL, that puts it right in line with your budget and the Solo's are great.

Predictive timing is the key to getting faster. Even Harrys Lap Timer with a BT 10hz GPS is well worth it for the drop in lap times.
So you think the sun is work it for the predictive last time alone and then upgrade to one of the others later once I get faster?
Old 04-02-2018, 08:30 AM

This sums up everything I had looked into.
The Aprilsysdesign Add-on sensor kit answered a few of my questions via email a while back. I'll share them here:

-Tap into factory throttle position sensor?
Yes, the throttle body will have a bosch 3 wire sensor - 0v 5v and signal. The signal can be tapped into to read the throttle voltage.

-Tap into factory RPM signal?
Yes, the cam sensor, this will be a 3 wire hall effect, 5-9v supply, 0v signal. The signal can be tapped into for RPM. This is a clean signal, perfect for reading.

-Tap into the factory water temperature sensor?
Normally easier not to. These are normally a signal and earth thermistor and a connection will disturb the signal. I would recommend a separate sensor on a pipe adapter.

-Wire in an external analog oil pressure sensor?
A separate oil pressure sensor would be easy to wire in, yes. Typically these are 12v, 0v, and 0-5v signal responding to 0-20bar. simple.

-Wire in an external analog oil temperature sensor?
Again, a seperate sensor is easier than using the cars sensor.

-Having all of this fed into the intergace unit and into the Aim Solo DL?
Yes.

Also..

You have two options for changes/alterations later

1. just use the AIM RaceStudio program to scale the channels.

2. I (they) can supply a programming lead and PC software.

Hope someone finds this useful.
The following 2 users liked this post by AFK-S2K:
decepticondc5 (04-02-2018), jp182 (10-28-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 03:16 AM

Thanks for the info!!

Quick Reply: Multi Gauge + Lap Timer ?